Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

17 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

the cutbacks on food choices

This is related, IMO, to a comment upthread that breakfast had all the same choices (that was a complaint).  I posted the link to the sample menu which others have said do represent the choices.  It was enormous.  So here's the one for dinner. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

So are you saying that this menu isn't accurate?  I've rarely seen a menu at an onshore restaurant that would have even this much or more.  Well, unless it's the Cheesecake Factory or such 🙂  (Actually I don't think I've ever eaten at one but am assuming.)  As I mentioned up thread if these menus aren't accurate then I really want to know about it and I want to pitch a hissy fit to the highest levels of corporate.  So I hope that you'll reply to this since the poster above so far hasn't.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

This is related, IMO, to a comment upthread that breakfast had all the same choices (that was a complaint).  I posted the link to the sample menu which others have said do represent the choices.  It was enormous.  So here's the one for dinner. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

So are you saying that this menu isn't accurate?  I've rarely seen a menu at an onshore restaurant that would have even this much or more.  Well, unless it's the Cheesecake Factory or such 🙂  (Actually I don't think I've ever eaten at one but am assuming.)  As I mentioned up thread if these menus aren't accurate then I really want to know about it and I want to pitch a hissy fit to the highest levels of corporate.  So I hope that you'll reply to this since the poster above so far hasn't.

I will certainly reply.  Your dinner menu is accurate. However, it has less choices in each category than previously.  I am not saying you can’t find something to eat, but the older menus had a “dizzying” array of choices. Entrees numbered closer to 12, not 6. And the choices much better and more interesting. Same for soups, salads, appetizers. 

Lunch menus in GDR were fabulous. Also numerous choices. A great experience with a glass of wine upon returning from a morning tour and staying on board. Now it’s closed most port days. When MDR is open for lunch, they serve the same food that’s put out in the buffet, just on a plate served by a waiter.  We no longer go there...it’s buffet food. 

Breakfast is where we find no cut backs. Someone said it’s same everyday.....and so it should be.....can’t think of anything you could want that’s not there......and breakfast in MDR if you have time, is even better. Will make anything you ask!

Specialty restaurants are all very good.....menus remain the same and wonderful service. 

• Like 1

you can view some menus from past years  at the Preisman's blog

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#gdr

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm#grand

I am sure Mike will post some current ones  when he returns

I cannot remember  having 12  entrees unless you count the always available  Chicken, Salmon & steak  dishes

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

I keep reading this from different people.

I'm not going to say that everyone's mistaken, but when I go price out cruises I'm actually interested in and try to apples-to-apples it as best I can (similar cabins; adding on to the O price for shore-ex; etc.), the luxury lines still come out 50% more expensive than O.

What am I missing? Is it certain itineraries, certain times of year, what? 

Our TA (luxury TA), keeps a watch for us, we tell her times of the year we want to cruise, she gives us options of itinerary, lines and suites, (as well as the rebates, and OBC).    I think it’s certain itineraries (September in Alaska, or May in Alaska, different times in Orient, or Europe, etc).   So,deals can be found, but you need to have either a sharp eye for comparison, a bit more leeway on times and places, or a great TA to help.   For us, it’s no longer the itinerary, its the experience of getting out and enjoying life while we are able to.  

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

you can view some menus from past years  at the Preisman's blog

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#gdr

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm#grand

I am sure Mike will post some current ones  when he returns

I cannot remember  having 12  entrees unless you count the always available  Chicken, Salmon & steak  dishes

Thank you for posting the old GDR menus.  Wow, I forgot how great they were.  They are indeed very different from today's menus.  The older menus had more choices and definitely are more varied and interesting.  I haven't sailed since 2016 and let me tell you, I will miss these menus. 

Edited by JVNYC

18 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

I will certainly reply.  Your dinner menu is accurate. However, it has less choices in each category than previously.  I am not saying you can’t find something to eat, but the older menus had a “dizzying” array of choices. Entrees numbered closer to 12, not 6. And the choices much better and more interesting. Same for soups, salads, appetizers. 

Lunch menus in GDR were fabulous. Also numerous choices. A great experience with a glass of wine upon returning from a morning tour and staying on board. Now it’s closed most port days. When MDR is open for lunch, they serve the same food that’s put out in the buffet, just on a plate served by a waiter.  We no longer go there...it’s buffet food. 

Breakfast is where we find no cut backs. Someone said it’s same everyday.....and so it should be.....can’t think of anything you could want that’s not there......and breakfast in MDR if you have time, is even better. Will make anything you ask!

Specialty restaurants are all very good.....menus remain the same and wonderful service. 

Thanks, Jayne.  I sincerely appreciate it.  I did notice that the menu was a year old but someone has mentioned that it's still pretty accurate.  So I'm guessing if you cruise O regularly it could get a little tiring.  Having come from a corporate - but not food - background, there's always that annoying bottom line to consider.  And the more extensive the menu the more likely that some food won't be ordered/eaten and will be wasted.  (I love to cook so I'd love to get hold of their uncooked food!)

5 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

Thank you for posting the old GDR menus.  Wow, I forgot how great they were.  They are indeed very different from today's menus.  The older menus had more choices and definitely are more varied and interesting.  I haven's sailed since 2016 and let me tell you, I will miss these menus. 

I am not seeing much of  a change 

it seemed in April  they had more choices for apps  than in the older menus ..yes they may have repeated  again  but more chances to try one you missed

JMO

Waiting to see what menus look like after  Mike's cruise  last month

Hopefully he is still doing the excellent photos of the menus

46 minutes ago, clo said:

This is related,

I'm going to reply to myself 🙂 cause I'm too lazy to go back and reread.

People commented on overcooked food but they haven't commented on whether they send it back.  We like our steaks 'breathing' and would certainly send it back if it weren't close to that.  I mean, regardless of the ship or the venue, we have or are paying for this food.

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I am not seeing much of  a change 

it seemed in April  they had more choices for apps  than in the older menus ..yes they may have repeated  again  but more chances to try one you missed

JMO

Waiting to see what menus look like after  Mike's cruise  last month

Hopefully he is still doing the excellent photos of the menus

Yes. They are repeating menu items regularly which again is a cut back in choices overall.

For us, if we didn’t want it the 1st time, don’t want it thereafter.  

Oceania does it in order to keep menus simpler and less expensive buying more bulk than varied. 

2 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Yes. They are repeating menu items regularly which again is a cut back in choices overall.

Oceania does it in order to keep menus simpler and less expensive buying more bulk than varied. 

Yes unlike the older menus  with 2 soups & 3 maybe 4 salad choices

🤔

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If I eat in a restaurant regularly (on shore) if I order something one time there's no reason for me to necessarily not want something different another time.  

22 minutes ago, clo said:

If I eat in a restaurant regularly (on shore) if I order something one time there's no reason for me to necessarily not want something different another time.  

No debate here.  I'm not discussing "on shore" dining (where you do not eat in same restaurant many consecutive nights), rather stating present and previous changes on Oceania dining.  That said, the fact remains that they are now rotating repeat items over cruise days, resulting in less options.  Those who are long time cruisers are aware of these changes.  New cruisers will compare to other lines and hopefully will be satisfied.  The food is still good but sorry, the cutbacks are a fact.

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

I'm not going to say that everyone's mistaken, but when I go price out cruises I'm actually interested in and try to apples-to-apples it as best I can (similar cabins; adding on to the O price for shore-ex; etc.), the luxury lines still come out 50% more expensive than O.

I completely agree with this.

Our Crystal and Regent cruises were significantly more expensive for much smaller cabins. Not sure if it was 50% more but significantly more.

• Like 3

If you cruise a couple months a year then menu repeating is a bigger deal.  However, generally we only cruise once a year, if that. We mostly take land based vacations. Repeating the menu is less of a concern for us.  

If less food waste means the price of the cruise does not increase as fast, then I am okay with that trade off.

Does anyone know the  % of cruisers on the average cruise that have been on an Oceania ship for one 30 days or more per year?  I suspect that those who cruise a lot are more represented on this board than those who cruise 12 days per year.    

25 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

If you cruise a couple months a year then menu repeating is a bigger deal.  However, generally we only cruise once a year, if that. We mostly take land based vacations. Repeating the menu is less of a concern for us.  

If less food waste means the price of the cruise does not increase as fast, then I am okay with that trade off.

Does anyone know the  % of cruisers on the average cruise that have been on an Oceania ship for one 30 days or more per year?  I suspect that those who cruise a lot are more represented on this board than those who cruise 12 days per year.    

I think you make a superb point.  We mostly do land-based also.  We will have done two cruises this year and two next year.  And that will be on two different lines each year.  Hurtigruten and Oceania this year and the same next year.  For the foreseeable future I can't see that changing.

We rarely see the large price difference between Regent and Oceania mentioned above. Concierge and above get included Business Class and we typically fly BC. We most always do the Premium Beverage Package. For a 20 day cruise that $1200 or Olife + $400, either way it’s all out of our pocket. That’s before calculating the value of any shore excursions. 

22 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We rarely see the large price difference between Regent and Oceania mentioned above. Concierge and above get included Business Class and we typically fly BC. We most always do the Premium Beverage Package. For a 20 day cruise that $1200 or Olife + $400, either way it’s all out of our pocket. That’s before calculating the value of any shore excursions. 

If I could even come close to the same investment for a Regent over an Oceania cruise I would absolutely do Regent.  My challenges is when I work the numbers, it comes out almost double.  Recently when Regents had their HUGE sale of 15% to 25% off, I thought I had a shot.  Still huge difference.  Love your logic on this.  The BC airfare vs. Coach premium is worthy of difference for sure.  I am also aware all excursions and drink packages are included on Regent.  Any information you can provide would be very welcomed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

If I could even come close to the same investment for a Regent over an Oceania cruise I would absolutely do Regent.  My challenges is when I work the numbers, it comes out almost double

19 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I agree with you, @Sthrngary. Almost every time that I read a comment stating that similar itineraries on Regent cost the same or within a few hundred dollars as Oceania, I do the numbers and they aren't even close. Same exercise with Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea.

This difference is exaggerated for those of us that do not drink and prefer to do private tours together with some ship tours.

Though I realize that this does not apply to many, for us, airfare is a non-factor as we fly business for miles. In fact, getting any credit from O for air is an added bonus. 

Hence everyone needs to do the math that works best for them.

Edited by Paulchili

24 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This difference is exaggerated for those of us that do not drink and prefer to do private tours together with some ship tours.

Though I realize that this does not apply to many, for us, airfare is a non-factor as we fly business for miles. In fact, getting any credit from O for air is an added bonus. 

Totally agree with the last few posts! We use points for air, do not require unlimited drinks, use points for pre/post hotels and use private guides with other cruise critic members.  All those "free" items on Regent, Crystal, etc. are factored into their cost.  It's a matter of what your needs are.  Oceania pricing does give options.

20 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

@Paulchili, thank you for responding.  I read your response and did not really get your point. Instead of asking for a clarification.  I am going to do a comparison in real time. The challenge of course is to fine similar days, accommodations, locations, ECT.  I will use Oceania Penthouse yet with Regents, us the level below Penthouse.  I am fully away this lower cabin on Regents does not include a Butler.  I will also be very careful to take into consideration differences of the pre-cruise hotel and the fact that Regents includes both the adult beverage program and one excursion per port, per passenger. 

I will use the actual cruise I am booked on which is the Oceania, Marina Sailing, June 6, 2020.  I already upgraded both the hotel option and the drink package on this Oceania Cruise.  I also elected the higher priced Premium Plus airfare.  If Regents even comes close, I am booking it TODAY.  Wish me luck.

I managed to find a Crystal cruise for the Caribbean  that was less than Oceania

We do not sail in PH  so taking a C oceanview cabin was fine for us

We drink very little  & do not do ships tours so  comparing  things for us was about the bottom line

We get no extra perks with Crystal  but  having most drinks included  would work out  like having our OBC with O to buy them

We do our own air with O  usually  so no different

It will be interesting  to compare lines