Muster Drill

dog

Please tell me how HAL does the drill. Are you standing out on deck, or like Princess and Celebrity---sitting in a lounge without carrying your life jacket? How long does drill usually take?

On the Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam the muster drill is done inside. and in an emergency you would be led to your boat.  On the other ships it is takes place on the wrap around deck.  Life jackets are NOT worn to the drill on any HAL ship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dog said:

Please tell me how HAL does the drill. Are you standing out on deck, or like Princess and Celebrity---sitting in a lounge without carrying your life jacket? How long does drill usually take?

Himself answered 2 of the 3 - as for time it will be anywhate from 20 to 45 minutes depending on how fast people get to their muster station.

• Like 1

Where your muster station is depends on the ship you are sailing. The Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam have indoor muster stations; there isn't enough room on the deck for all the passengers to gather there. 
The rest of the ships in the fleet all have assigned stations at your lifeboat. 

The muster drill is broken down into three phases: In the first phase you are told there is an emergency, and you are to stay where you are and await further instructions. 
In the second phase you are told to return to your cabin, dress in warm clothing, gather important papers (such as passport and credit cards), and gather your medicine. In a real emergency you also don your life jacket; you skip this step during the drill. You then wait in your cabin until told to assemble at your muster station. Early birds interfere with preparations. 
In the third phase you proceed to your assigned muster station. 

• Like 1

Depends on the ship, but particularly the older ships, the muster is held outside on deck.  Nieuw Statendam was the easiest one I had ever done, since my muster station was in the MDR, and we got to sit down.  It lasted all of about 10 minutes.  Fast, easy, and no stress.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dog said:

Oosterdam--so we stand outside. thanks everyone.

I wonder how it works for disabled people?  Neither my mom or her boyfriend could stand that long,  Boyfriend couldn't even make it to the muster station without a wheelchair.

17 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I wonder how it works for disabled people?  Neither my mom or her boyfriend could stand that long,  Boyfriend couldn't even make it to the muster station without a wheelchair.

If you have a medical problem, get a note from your doctor and make arrangements once on the ship to report to the doctor or nurse instead of going out onto the deck.  These people usually meet in the atrium.  Some people don't get a letter from their doctor but I would take one just to be on the safe side.

I use a Rollator and am always late getting to my station because of this 1-2-3 way of handling the drill.

On Pinnacle Class ships you do the drill in several public areas of the ship (dining room, theater, etc) depending on where your muster station is.    There is no muster drill outside.  I am not sure about the smaller ships.  I cannot remember how it was on the Eurodam 2 years ago.  The Veendam 4 years ago mustered on deck.

8 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you.  I will let my mom know.  Her bf has Parkinsons so Im sure getting a note from his doctor won't be a problem.

If you have a medical problem, get a note from your doctor and make arrangements once on the ship to report to the doctor or nurse instead of going out onto the deck.  These people usually meet in the atrium.  Some people don't get a letter from their doctor but I would take one just to be on the safe side.

I use a Rollator and am always late getting to my station because of this 1-2-3 way of handling the drill.

Thank

5 hours ago, MeandtheSea said:

On Pinnacle Class ships you do the drill in several public areas of the ship (dining room, theater, etc) depending on where your muster station is.    There is no muster drill outside.  I am not sure about the smaller ships.  I cannot remember how it was on the Eurodam 2 years ago.  The Veendam 4 years ago mustered on deck.

Just to add, other than the PInnacle Class, the musters are on deck.

there are special arrangements for those with mobility issues.  At least, there have been on my cruises.

Thanks everyone for all the information...most appreciated as a newbie!

We are on the Nieuw Statendam with 5 pm departure from Ft Lauderdale.

What time would muster drill be held?  Also what is the earliest we would be able to board the ship?  (No special room or Mariner status).

18 minutes ago, Beachnut53 said:

What time would muster drill be held?  Also what is the earliest we would be able to board the ship?  

Muster will likely be at 4:15 with a 5:00 sailing. 
Boarding generally begins at 11:30, which is when the stewards end their lunch break.