Luminea questions

RSLeesburg

2 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

When we booked our cruise, someone said that we would eat in Luminea because we booked a suite.  Are we assigned to eat in this restaurant instead of the MDR?  

Yes, this is the "MDR" for all suite passengers.

You will be able to eat in the MDR, if you wish, and in Blu, if seating available. Let the concierge in the suite lounge (Retreat Lounge or Michael's Club) or your butler know and they can make arrangements for you. Luminae is wonderful! Enjoy!

Edited by vtcruising

Most people feel Luminae is superior to the MDR, in atmosphere and service and food. You can also order from the MDR menu, plus the one in Luminae, if you want. This is one of the perks you are paying for in a suite, so take advantage of it. We have loved Luminae and hopefully you will too. The main reason a suite guest might want to eat in the MDR is if they are traveling with non suite passengers. If that's the case, you can bring them into Luminae for a charge on a space available basis, or go to the MDR with them (ask the concierge in Michael's to arrange it for you.)

• Like 1

It doesn't look like you are going to be on the Edge, but if someone reading this is, they do not let you order from the MDR menu since they are 8 decks away on the opposite end of the ship from the MDR. They do serve MDR everyday items, such as Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Escargot, Steak, Chicken, Salmon (prepared in Luminae, or at least the hot items are) and are good about modifying their items or may be able to serve something else if you let them know a day ahead of time.

Edited by vtcruising

5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I am in Luminae on the Summit as we speak. Our waiter gave us our menus as well as the MDR menus.

I'm finishing a deck at home right now. Luminae would be great. Next month we are on the Eclipse. When I'm sitting in Luminae I'll have to think back and say: Cruise vacations are relaxing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Or you can just order from the MDR menu while in Luminae.

Only as a last resort. We are on the second leg of a B2B on the Equinox, in a suite. Last leg there was two nights where there wasn’t a steak on the menu, one of them was lobster night, that’s just wrong. Luminae has no every day menu so you order off the MDR menu. After eating several days of eating Luminae menu items, the MDR food was a huge letdown, did this twice. If it happens again this week, buffet here we come. The expectations won’t be near as high

Thanks for all the replies.  I am not sure if we will want to eat in MDR or not...lol.   I was more curious if we were assigned to a table or not, as we may not show up.  Would hate for table mates to be waiting for us.  We mostly eat in specialties or WJ on RCI.  Our son prefers the buffet, and my wife and I prefer the smaller restaurants to the MDR.  Luminea sounds like it will be wonderful.  Do they have a kids menu, or at least have options that may appeal to a less-than-adventurous kid may like?   

5 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I am not sure if we will want to eat in MDR or not...lol.   I was more curious if we were assigned to a table or not, as we may not show up.  Would hate for table mates to be waiting for us.  We mostly eat in specialties or WJ on RCI.  Our son prefers the buffet, and my wife and I prefer the smaller restaurants to the MDR.  Luminea sounds like it will be wonderful.  Do they have a kids menu, or at least have options that may appeal to a less-than-adventurous kid may like?   

It is the same as the other restaurants on the ship:

Luminae-Kids.pdf

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Only as a last resort. We are on the second leg of a B2B on the Equinox, in a suite. Last leg there was two nights where there wasn’t a steak on the menu, one of them was lobster night, that’s just wrong. Luminae has no every day menu so you order off the MDR menu. After eating several days of eating Luminae menu items, the MDR food was a huge letdown, did this twice. If it happens again this week, buffet here we come. The expectations won’t be near as high

I find that after a few days I just need a salad as a starter. I thought the food in Luminae was definitely a step up, even from Blu. The quality of the meat and fish was higher, and some of the portions were large, BUT, they rarely have a green salad. After the first night or so, I would get the Luminae entrees, but order a salad or onion soup from the MDR menu, if none of the Luminae appetizers sounded good

2 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

I was more curious if we were assigned to a table or not, as we may not show up.  

You are not seated at an assigned table. There is no fixed dining in Luminae (or Blu). You will be seated at the first available table when you arrive.

44 minutes ago, mom says said:

You are not seated at an assigned table. There is no fixed dining in Luminae (or Blu). You will be seated at the first available table when you arrive.

No, I meant in MDR.  I was not sure if we were assigned a table in MDR, but could choose to eat in Luminea.  Kind of like how RCI does it with CK.  Suite guests can eat in CK, but they are still assigned a table in MDR unless they pick MTD.   But thanks for telling me how Luminea works - so much to learn...lol

Luminae caters to dietary needs better than the MDR or Blu. For instance, my spouse is vegan; at the beginning of the cruise, we inform Luminae's chef, who then provides vegan meals for my spouse for the entire length of the cruise. Luminae vegan dishes are far superior compared to Blu.

RSLeesburg, in case you are interested, you'll find photos of some of the menu items served at Luminae in April of this year on board the Constellation here [link].

Edited by tjunmin
  • Like 1

Just off Millenium in a Sky Suite.  There was a family of 3 boys about ages 5-12 , parents, and grands in Laminae near us for most meals.  The boys seemed happy with their meal choices,  and even experimented with a few new items.  The staff eagerly helped them with ideas of things to try. 

There were also 4 or 5 new menu items being tested on the Luminae  menu. 

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

You will be able to eat in the MDR, if you wish, and in Blu, if seating available. Let the concierge in the suite lounge (Retreat Lounge or Michael's Club) or your butler know and they can make arrangements for you. Luminae is wonderful! Enjoy!

Can you eat in Blu if you are in a veranda suite but not aqua?

Luminae is a real step up in ambience from CK. Better service. However, the menu does have limited choices and we do find that the menu descriptions are poor. It is often hard to know exactly what you are ordering. Just ask the waiters to describe. Also agree with Cangelmd that salads are limited and also veggies can often be more of a ‘garnish’ than a portion. 

Rather than use the MDR menu when we cannot find something to our liking we tend to ask the M’D for the Luminae menus for the full cruise. Then on nights we like the menus we dine in Luminae and on other nights we dine in one of the speciality restaurants.