Is it too late for travel insurance?

Emu2302

We made final payment on 5/30 for a 7-day Alaskan cruise R/T from Seattle departing on 9/22. After considering a few minor hospitalizations/accidents my 62-year old mom has had over the years, I'm wondering if I should have considered Trip Interruption insurance? I've started comparing plans, but it looks like most won't cover incidents if you purchased the insurance more than 14 days after final deposit. Am I out of luck to cover our trip?

I believe the 14-day rule applies to pre-existing conditions, not all coverage. What constitutes a pre-existing condition is defined in the individual policies, and can vary from one policy to another. 

I suggest you call Insure My Trip and talk to a live person there. You can discuss what you are looking for and they can let you know what, if anything is available across a broad assortment of coverages. 
They know their stuff! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emu2302 said:

We made final payment on 5/30 for a 7-day Alaskan cruise R/T from Seattle departing on 9/22. After considering a few minor hospitalizations/accidents my 62-year old mom has had over the years, I'm wondering if I should have considered Trip Interruption insurance? I've started comparing plans, but it looks like most won't cover incidents if you purchased the insurance more than 14 days after final deposit. Am I out of luck to cover our trip?

Where are you from?  The types of travel insurance seem to vary rather dramatically from country to country (and to a much lesser extent, a bit from state to state within the USA).

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com and they'll give you good answers if you are in the USA or Canada.

Also, please browse or ask questions on the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

GC

I spoke to an agent with Travel Guard and she told me you can insure your trip up until the day you leave.  The 15 day period is for pre-existing conditions.  I agree, call Insure My Trip and speak to someone.  That's what I did.

Make sure you get coverage that includes getting Mom home if something happens. That can become very expensive.

And definitely check on the coverage related to pre-existing conditions and how the insurance company defines "pre-existing," since you're outside the usual 14-15 day window to get that coverage included. 

We never buy insurance within the initial 14-15 day period.  In the past we have, however, bought HAL's cancel-for-any-reason policy to cover any possible pre-existing conditions, which must be purchased by the time of final payment.  The benefit if that you don't love all the money for the pre-existing waiver of other insurance companies if you have to cancel prior to final payment.  Depending on where you are cruising, however, the $50,000 med-evac may not be enough and you will need an additional policy.

We are, however, going to buy regular travel insurance for our forthcoming 22-day trip in December.  The look-back period for a pre-existing condition is 60 days, and the insurance can be purchased up to the day of sailing.  Our final payment is next week, and I am debating whether to delay buying the travel insurance until later this fall, or buy it now.  The danger - developing a change of a present condition which occurs in the interim, thus bringing the condition within the 60-day period.  This policy also carries substantial med-evac insurance.  (I think that I have just convinced myself to buy the insurance next week.)

Hope this helps.