Where to exchange "Champagne" for different wine?

39august

I have read in the past that some people have successfully traded out the complimentary "champagne" for either a red or a white wine. Would this best be at a bar or with the wine steward in Luminae?  I would think you might get a better deal at a bar since there are higher end wines at Luminae. I'd rather not have to pay as well as trade.  Or should we ask our butler to do this?

Edited by 39august

Be prepared for a different answer, depending upon ship (or maybe staff). We give the cabin attendant or butler a list of desires (we don't ask for much) the first day and have had the following responses to exchanging the bottle of sparkling wine for a red or white:

1) Sorry, we can't do that.

2) You will need to bring it to dinner and ask the dining room wine steward.

3) A promise to look into it, but has been forgotten (and we also forgot).

4) A bottle of red wine appears and the sparkling stuff is gone.

Sometimes it seems to be more trouble than it is worth - we get ready for dinner and go for cocktails first so don't really want to carry a bottle into a lounge and then later present it to the wine steward at dinner. I like the idea of bringing it to Wine cellars, though there isn't one on Edge Class. We often end up giving it to friends who will drink the stuff or just leave it there the last day.

Of course number 4 was Modern Luxury, but was in a suite. A standardized approach would be nice. I do appreciate and hope they continue with the amenity because I do like the looks of it when we arrive. It says "Let the party begin!" 🙂

• Like 2

We generally have the best success with trading it with the sommelier in the MDR or Blu than with the room attendant. We often just trade it for Prosecco but occasionally for a nice bottle of red. Only once did we ask our stateroom attendant and he apologetically told us that his supervisor suggested that we do the switch in the dining venue. We've done that ever since.