HAL Website - Access Denied

Cocktail613

For the past couple of days when I try to access the HAL website from my iMac I get the message:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.hollandamerica.com/" on this server.

I get this same message using Safari and Crome.  I can access fine via my iPad but I want to print our ship docs and can't do that via my iPad. Are others having this problem?

I don't understand why cruise lines seem particularly incapable of setting up and maintaining properly functioning websites.

24 minutes ago, sleslie said:

I get this same message using Safari and Crome.  I can access fine via my iPad but I want to print our ship docs and can't do that via my iPad. Are others having this problem?

I don't understand why cruise lines seem particularly incapable of setting up and maintaining properly functioning websites.

I had that problem a couple of years ago and discovered that good old IE (Internet Explorer) worked.  It's worth a try.

I later discovered that all of them had downloaded and were in my downloads - sheesh.  So, you might want to check your downloads in case the same thing happened to you, and if they are there, you can print from that.

Thanks for the help on this.  I figured out the problem: if I turned off my VPN I can connect to the HAL website fine but if I try to access through the VPN I get Access Denied.  Strange, I've never run into a site that did that before.

Also I need to get a printer that I can use directly from my iPad...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sleslie said:

Thanks for the help on this.  I figured out the problem: if I turned off my VPN I can connect to the HAL website fine but if I try to access through the VPN I get Access Denied.  Strange, I've never run into a site that did that before.

Glad you got it worked out 🙂 

If you get a  wireless wifi printer (also may be called an air printer) you do not need to plug in to print.  Mine all work with my laptop and ipads.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sleslie said:

HAL tries to control access to its websites based on country of origination of the requests being made of it.  Many VPNs use servers that do not originate in the US or Canada, pass through foreign-based servers or are black-listed as VPN servers (therefore not necessarily trustworthy as far as originating user goes.)  You'll have to seek another server, if your VPN allows you to do this (not all do), that is acceptable by HALs server providers or, as you've discovered, turn off your VPN for the purpose of accessing your local (country or continent) HAL website.

2 minutes ago, 0bnxshs said:

HAL tries to control access to its websites based on country of origination of the requests being made of it.  Many VPNs use servers that do not originate in the US or Canada, pass through foreign-based servers or are black-listed as VPN servers (therefore not necessarily trustworthy as far as originating user goes.)  You'll have to seek another server, if your VPN allows you to do this (not all do), that is acceptable by HALs server providers or, as you've discovered, turn off your VPN for the purpose of accessing your local (country or continent) HAL website.

From what the OP posted, it sounds like it is the VPN that is denying access to the HAL site, not the other way around.  

I know that the VPN we use through work does not allow access to sites it deems to not be work-related, such as social media and including some types of websites for personal travel among others....

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

From what the OP posted, it sounds like it is the VPN that is denying access to the HAL site, not the other way around.  

I know that the VPN we use through work does not allow access to sites it deems to not be work-related, such as social media and including some types of websites for personal travel among others....

This is possible only if the VPN is provided through a workplace or some similar organization who may be limiting access to such websites, but not the VPNs in the public market.  I use NordVPN and there are some US servers that HAL will allow to access its websites and several more US servers that it won't allow.  Conversely, the EU HAL website does not allow me access when I choose US servers in my VPN table but will if I choose a EU country's servers and, in fact, will default to the EU website for HAL under those circumstances.

Again, IMHO, HAL is trying to control access to its websites to the user's originating area.  My guess, and it is a guess, is that the iPad OP is using is not using a VPN at all.

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 0bnxshs said:

This is possible only if the VPN is provided through a workplace or some similar organization who may be limiting access to such websites, but not the VPNs in the public market.  I use NordVPN and there are some US servers that HAL will allow to access its websites and several more US servers that it won't allow.  Conversely, the EU HAL website does not allow me access when I choose US servers in my VPN table but will if I choose a EU country's servers and, in fact, will default to the EU website for HAL under those circumstances.

Again, IMHO, HAL is trying to control access to its websites to the user's originating area.  My guess, and it is a guess, is that the iPad OP is using is not using a VPN at all.

Yes this is it.  I use PIA and tried different different VPM access servers.  Some let me access and some don't.  Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...