"Live" - Ovation of the Seas 20-30 Sept 2019 - Our not normal cruise to Hawaii

PCWalton1

2 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

That is where we were going to enjoy breakfast this morning but this is all we have for a table.

You might be able to move the desk under the mirror in the cabin to use as a table. Probably too big to take all the way out to the balcony though.

Such a bummer that Marie is feeling bad for this trip.  Hope it clears up for your post cruise trip.

Thanks for sharing photos of the coast of first island.  I will be sailing on the Pride of America in 2021 and will go around twice to assure good weather opportunities and to do different things.

In 1980, my dad and I drove the Hana Highway and it took all day.  We went below the 7 pools area to off road.  We did find Lindburg's grave beyond the church.  It was special to visit this place and the drive must be done slowly along the highway and make stops.  Enjoy Honolulu. I am looking forward to Molakai (?) photos too

It is lovely Bill. But I remember when that area of Lahaina was all sugar cane fields back in the late 70's. It looks so barren behind town now.  

7 Sacred Pools and the little church Oceansaway17. :classic_smile: Great memories. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Namesallused said:

Very much enjoying your posts so far, @PCWalton1. You and Marie look absolutely lovely! Cruising on RCI is my favourite way to vacation but sadly have not been on a cruise since 2012. Seriously considering this very cruise next year to celebrate my Big 5-0 so I'm so happy you are giving me a sneak peek! 😀 A few questions for you and any others who have done this itinerary - some who may join on the cruise have never cruised before, and have never been to Hawaii. I know you are not all that enthused about this itinerary for those who have never been to HI but I'm wondering if it might also be a good sampler for them to get an idea of the different vibes on the islands without making a huge time commitment to one or the other? Also, do you think the many sea days at the beginning would be too much for first-time cruisers? Or would it be a good way for them to unwind and get into the cruising vibe? Would appreciate your thoughts, and anyone else's! Thanks!

Try a roundtrip cruise from San Diego, San Diego is a beautiful city to start in too................... something like this one, Holland America, Eurodam, Best to start a new thread though rather then clog up this thread. Besides the islands, the sea days are great to for relaxing.

The food is really good on Holland America too.

Itinerary would look like this for this coming March 1, 2020

• Day1: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, US
    • Sun Mar 01 2020 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day2: AT SEA
    • Mon Mar 02 2020 |
    • Day3: AT SEA
    • Tue Mar 03 2020 |
    • Day4: AT SEA
    • Wed Mar 04 2020 |
    • Day5: AT SEA
    • Thu Mar 05 2020 |
    • Day6: AT SEA
    • Fri Mar 06 2020 |
    • Day7: KONA, HAWAII, US
    • Sat Mar 07 2020 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day8: HONOLULU, HAWAII, US
    • Sun Mar 08 2020 | Arrive 07:00 AM
    • Day9: HONOLULU, HAWAII, US
    • Mon Mar 09 2020 | Depart 11:00 PM
    • Day10: LAHAINA, HAWAII, US
    • Tue Mar 10 2020 | 08:00 AM To 11:00 PM
    • Day11: HILO, HAWAII, US
    • Wed Mar 11 2020 | 08:00 AM To 06:00 PM
    • Day11: SCENIC CRUISING KILAUEA VOLCANO
    • Wed Mar 11 2020 |
    • Day12: AT SEA
    • Thu Mar 12 2020 |
    • Day13: AT SEA
    • Fri Mar 13 2020 |
    • Day14: AT SEA
    • Sat Mar 14 2020 |
    • Day15: AT SEA
    • Sun Mar 15 2020 |
    • Day16: AT SEA
    • Mon Mar 16 2020 |
    • Day17: ENSENADA, MEXICO
    • Tue Mar 17 2020 | 02:00 PM To 10:00 PM
    • Day18: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, US
    • Wed Mar 18 2020 | Arrive 07:00 AM

Such a bummer that Marie is feeling bad for this trip.  Hope it clears up for your post cruise trip.

Thanks for sharing photos of the coast of first island.  I will be sailing on the Pride of America in 2021 and will go around twice to assure good weather opportunities and to do different things.

In 1980, my dad and I drove the Hana Highway and it took all day.  We went below the 7 pools area to off road.  We did find Lindburg's grave beyond the church.  It was special to visit this place and the drive must be done slowly along the highway and make stops.  Enjoy Honolulu. I am looking forward to Molakai (?) photos too
We still have Kailua Kona tomorrow [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

We are working on plan B today as she is still weaker than we thought. More than likely we will stay around Lahaina today once we leave the ship. 

18 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Nothing gets Marie feeling well than shopping so we are at Whaler Village in Kaanapali

ecdc50f9a417485d20fe623417edb793.jpg

778d4bedd3b1bed4d56658375890aab2.jpg

a1acddb7171bd5a4af22a1940d7cfc34.jpg

1c7ffb1f32d3029c8daee908b9856f3c.jpg

4ea9dfee19898d42eb9c0a0b3945da53.jpg

Picked up a tee shirt for me too

88ed3f37b06934927e61c10290a5798a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nothing perks up a gal quite like retail therapy -- I hope it worked its magic on Marie!

Regarding the t shirt: 💙✈️🌐

• Like 2

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to bring us along on your wonderful cruise.  My DW and I are on this sailing next September so this is a wonderful preview and we really enjoy your wonderful pictures. 

It is very much appreciated and I hope your wife gets better real soon.

Regards

Ron

On 9/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, Namesallused said:

A few questions for you and any others who have done this itinerary - some who may join on the cruise have never cruised before, and have never been to Hawaii. I know you are not all that enthused about this itinerary for those who have never been to HI but I'm wondering if it might also be a good sampler for them to get an idea of the different vibes on the islands without making a huge time commitment to one or the other? Also, do you think the many sea days at the beginning would be too much for first-time cruisers? Or would it be a good way for them to unwind and get into the cruising vibe? Would appreciate your thoughts, and anyone else's! Thanks!

Your best bet for a "sampler" would be the Pride of America.  Think of it as a floating hotel.  As you may know, you'll start and finish in Oahu and overnight at Maui, visit Hilo and Kona on the Big Island, overnight at Kauai and do a sail-by of the Napali coast in seven days.