Disembarking in Civitavecchia

diniska2

Hello,

My parents are traveling with Norwegian cruise line. This is their first time sailing in Europe. They are sailing from Civitavecchia and stopping by ports in Italy, Greece, and Malta. Their ship's arrival back in Civitavecchia is at 6AM on Thursday 10/3. Initially, their customer service representative told us that if we schedule a 10:20 AM flight, they will have plenty of time to get to the airport. When I called back to schedule the transport, a different agent told me that this is not enough time, and the disembarkation process may take up to 2 hours due to clearing customs. The drive to the airport is shown as 45 minutes on google maps. I have the following questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with disembarking at this port? If my parents are first in line, how long will it take for them to get to their car? Any tips for getting of the ship ASAP?

2) What is the traffic like heading form Civitavecchia to the airport on a weekday morning?

I would not take a 10:20 AM flight.

The issue is not only the distance from port to airport (yes about 45 minutes) but potential long lines at the airport and any delays with disembarkation.

I prefer a flight at around 11:30 AM but some will say 11:00 AM is good.

If they book a private transfer with some of the companies we recommend the car will come to where you get off the ship.

Again I would go with a later flight.  

Keith

• Like 1

10:20 is a bit early for our taste.  They could do it if they were on their way (from the port) by 7am.  This means they would have to do express disembarkation which means getting all their luggage from their cabin off the ship and to the transportation.  They would need to do this on their own.  If they can handle it, they might consider arranging a private transfer via RomeCabs.com (we recommend them because or our own first hand experience).  If they were on the road by 7, they should be at the FCO terminal by 7:50.  While allowing 3 hours at FCO is the suggested time, 2/12 should be fine.

As to Customs and Immigration, there generally is none at Civitavecchia.  The ship docks, is usually cleared by the authorities in about 20-30 min...and then express disembarkation begins.  Once off the ship there are usually no additional formalities.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a cab from port to the airport?  I'm solo and will be getting off the ship unassisted for an early flight.  I'm nervous about waiting/meeting a private car and thought a taxi would be easier.  

I just looked on taxifarefinder.com.  (  I find their fares inaccurate but it gives me a rough idea.   ie for my city it says $38 to the airport whereas it's actually $48. )   For Civi to Leonardo daVinci Airport it says $150.  Hopefully someone will have first hand info for you.

Have you tried your Roll Call  to find others who need to disembark early and might share a ride with you.

Edited by mapleleaves

We had an 11:25am flight on Delta back to Atlanta and we were sweating bullets. For some reason which was never explained to us, our arrival back into Civitavecchia was pushed back to 8:00am. Thankfully, all the countries  that we visited on our Mediterranean cruise (Italy, Malta, Spain, and France) are all in the Shengen Area which meant no customs upon debarkation. We walked right off the ship and to our pre-reserved transportation. 

We arrived at the Fiumicino Airport around 9:15am so we still had a little over 2 hours before our flight, but we spent a considerable part of that time standing in line at security and airport immigration. The lines were long and very slow moving. We saw several passengers loose their cool and attempting to  jump the line when they realized they’d miss their flight. Tempers flared for a bit with other passengers confronting those trying to skip the line.

Long story short, we made it to the gate as they were making the first pre-board announcement around 10:45am. I will never book a flight that leaves little wiggle room because it could’ve cost us dearly. If we’d missed that flight, we would’ve been out of luck. This was on a very busy Thanksgiving Sunday with no other flights to Atlanta. 

By the way, we used RomeCabs for our transportation and we were extremely grateful for that. They were monitoring our ship’s arrival and were waiting right on the sidewalk as we exited the cruise terminal. Our car was parked 10 feet away, ready to go. We were on our way to the airport in less than 5 minutes of exiting the terminal! Money well spent! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a cab from port to the airport?  I'm solo and will be getting off the ship unassisted for an early flight.  I'm nervous about waiting/meeting a private car and thought a taxi would be easier.  

As another solo traveler, I would be MORE nervous about locating a taxi at Civitavecchia than arranging for a private car. 

I've been in and out of Civi port a number of times. I believe most taxis are not allowed to come right to the ship unless they have a pre-arranged fare to pick up. Those few that I've seen around the terminal seem to be already engaged. You'd likely have to get yourself and your luggage on the free port shuttle bus to the port entrance and then look for a taxi there. I guess it would be fine if you have plenty of time....

If I'm going to the airport, I generally take a shared shuttle, arranged in advance. About 70 euro. If I'm going into Rome I may just take the train depending on how light I'm traveling...

I too would not do a taxi and would do a shuttle, private vehicle, ships transfer instead.

Taxis are not permitted into the port and once outside it can be chaotic and I would have concerns with the taxi.  This would be last on my list.

Keith

We have disembarked there three times.  I would not do a 10:20 am flight.  As a previous poster said it could be lines at the airport in Rome.  We have seen it where there was no real line at the entrance to security - just a mass of people pushing ahead to the line.  Also, we usually have to wait on a line for a bit to check our bags.  Rome is an airport where I would give it at least three hours.  

On 10/7/2019 at 6:39 PM, AK Dreaming said:

We agree with some of the other experienced poster that it should be less concerning to arrange for a private transfer then trying to find and deal with a taxi.  There are several very reputable transfer companies (our own preference is RomeCabs.com).  Since you are traveling single....you might want to get active on the CC Roll Call (for your specific cruise) and see if you can join with 1 or 2 other couples also desiring an early transfer.  This will significantly reduce your cost plus give you the peace of mind of having some additional personal security.

Hank

On 10/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, Hlitner said:

We agree with some of the other experienced poster that it should be less concerning to arrange for a private transfer then trying to find and deal with a taxi.  There are several very reputable transfer companies (our own preference is RomeCabs.com).  Since you are traveling single....you might want to get active on the CC Roll Call (for your specific cruise) and see if you can join with 1 or 2 other couples also desiring an early transfer.  This will significantly reduce your cost plus give you the peace of mind of having some additional personal security.

Hank

I agree with this 100%

I agree that you need more time.  We are at the airport today and even with fast track, business checkin  and customs took an hour.  The customs lumps every one together.   

Take a shared or private shuttle. We have had good luck with NCC and Rome cabs. 

Yesterday there were were six ships in port so things can be delayed. Better yet stay overnight and see Rome with less stress.