22 day trip. My wardrobe

Bizmark'sMom

This is a land trip, but I create the same sort of capsule for cruises as well.

Scotland - temps in the 50s and 60s, rain and wind probable.

There are planned breaks on day 9 and day 16, I'll find a laundromat and machine wash everything on those days. Hand wash what I need to in the sink otherwise.

3 bottoms; 1 pair dark jeans, 1 pair black J Jill's Wearever pants, 1 long chocolate brown A-line skirt

6 tops; 2 navy blue ballet sleeved shirts, 2 light merino wool sweaters - 1 brown, 1 navy blue, 1 color blocked brown and navy blue tunic, 1 chocolate brown lace shirt (yes, the merino wool tops are machine washable, as is the lace top)

2 toppers; 1 navy blue thick cardigan, 1 chocolate brown thinner long cardigan

1 black rain jacket

Undergarments; 8 pairs underwear, 3 bras, 1 pair black leggings, 8 pair black socks

3 pair shoes; chocolate brown leather hiking loafers, black wedges, navy clogs (I can walk miles in all of them)

3 scarves; 1 red/black/brown/ivory Minnie Mouse infinity scarf, 1 brown/ivory striped big square scarf, 1 brown/purple/navy blue small buff

It all fits in a carry on sized bag.  I'll check the bag only because I have very picky, eczema prone skin and have to bring all of my toiletries.

There will be 1 formal evening -- the lace top, long skirt, black wedges, and some accessories will work for that, and will also easily mix and match with everything else.  And my bag will be light and small enough to easily handle on and off of a van. I know 1 hotel is in a pedestrian zone, and carrying my bag a few blocks won't be an issue.

I'll also have a black backpack for my carry-on for the airplane and for hiking and walking around.

There you go, I'll be appropriately dressed, comfortable in the temperatures with my layers, and it will be dead easy to dress in the morning because it all mixes and matches easily. In a carry-on sized bag.

• Like 2

Good on you!  I would maybe ditch the brown topper and use the raincoat as your light jacket.  And, you can wash out undies and socks at night and they'll be dry the next day, so I would take half of what you have.  Make the bag a little less crowded and have room for another scarf or so that you buy along the way!

Good call on the undies and socks. I can cut those down easily.

I started with the formal dinner that is scheduled. Thought about what I had worn before for formal things in cool temps, and worked around that color palette.  Plus, the shoes I own that I can really walk in and don't look too ratty.

The brown cardigan is long and a really light weight wool. It's washable, and I love it.

55 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

If you have a rainy spell the socks and undies may not dry very quickly. 

but, if you still have a few pair, it's OK if it takes 24 hours to dry.   I have pairs of undies from Ex-Officio that I travel with that dry fast, wherever I go.  Yes, socks will take a while, but you're not wearing the same pair the next day.   And, a good use for that cabin hair dryer is to just "finish the job."   I take my Wright Socks with me and I usually don't have an issue with drying.  I fell in a creek last month and those were the socks I was wearing and they were soaked - they were dry the next day.  *I was camping so I went VERY minimal on clothes*

5 hours ago, Carole2313 said:

Bizmark’s Mom, I envy you!  My DH wants to bring 2 large suitcases .plus a carryon for our 28 day B2B in New Zealand/French Polynesia cruise, just for him!

Holy smokes!!!  Is he planning on not doing laundry ever during the trip? Still, a big difference is that this is a land trip for me and not a cruise.  I'm moving every 2 days or so, and hauling things into and out of a van. And, in one case, my lodging is in a pedestrian zone so I have to get it a few blocks by myself.

The only change I made to my packing list was bringing black leather flats instead of the wedges because I broke a toe a couple of days ago. The flats aren't as dressy for that one formal dinner, but they'll have to do.

52 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

The flats aren't as dressy for that one formal dinner, but they'll have to do.

You're going to a formal dinner on a land trip?  Wow.  But why would you think that a "wedge" would be dressier than a nice flat like this.

20190912_110621 - Edited (1).jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I broke my toe literally the day before leaving. No time to buy anything else. I had to go with what I already had in the closet. 

With black tights, nobody will even notice the black flat mary jsnes.

Bless your heart.  Wish you'd had time to get some open toed slides or something.  Get well soon.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

You may not realize it but that response comes across as very nasty and judgmental.  She broke a toe for God's sake; she has to go with what works for her foot. 

And you may have seen my f/up reply to her.

22 minutes ago, clo said:

And you may have seen my f/up reply to her.

Yep, and I don't think it did anything to mitigate the nastiness of the earlier reply.  It still basically told her that her shoe choice was wrong and that even with a broken toe she shouldn't be wearing it.  Your attempt to appear more sensitive failed and your judgement still shines through loud and clear.

Edited by waterbug123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's really ok. I really am ok.

Loads of walking with an already injured foot = bringing the broken in, comfy, and still supportive shoes.  The dumpy black flats feel like slippers and I walked miles in them today. Broken toe or not, when am I going to get here again? I'm seeing as much as I can.  The toe I broke is the one next to my big toe, so it's easy to tape and keep stable.  Still, it is swollen and sore, and that won't change any time soon.  

If I'm seriously tossed out of a dressy evening for wearing plain shoes that blend in with my tights under a nice skirt and top...  I'll be shocked.  I doubt I'll merit a second glance, and nobody will be ill mannered enough to question my choice of footwear. 

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 2:36 PM, Bizmark'sMom said:

It's really ok. I really am ok.

Loads of walking with an already injured foot = bringing the broken in, comfy, and still supportive shoes.  The dumpy black flats feel like slippers and I walked miles in them today. Broken toe or not, when am I going to get here again? I'm seeing as much as I can.  The toe I broke is the one next to my big toe, so it's easy to tape and keep stable.  Still, it is swollen and sore, and that won't change any time soon.  

If I'm seriously tossed out of a dressy evening for wearing plain shoes that blend in with my tights under a nice skirt and top...  I'll be shocked.  I doubt I'll merit a second glance, and nobody will be ill mannered enough to question my choice of footwear. 

You will be fine and I do hope your foot issues are soon behind you. 

I will add that there are many women with various types of foot issues (some temporary, some permanent) and I have seen all sorts of footwear at formal or dressy occasions.  If others notice and wonder, it’s probably because they have never been in that situation.  Then there are those of us who travel with only a carryon and will make due with whatever shoe is the most useful for that trip because it comes down to a choice of space-taking dressy shoes or an appropriate clothing item.  Now I won’t wear a running shoe or a hiking boot to a formal occasion but I might wear a more casual shoe that works in several situations, always dark and not really noticeable unless one goes looking. Far more noticeable are those who start out in dressy, very appropriate shoes that they soon ditch for bare feet because the shoes are killing them! 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 9:50 PM, clo said:

You're wearing THOSE to a formal dinner?  Another wow.

What is wrong with them?  I didn't know there was a specific requirement for shoes that someone would consider "appropriate for another person to wear...

Some of do not feel the need to buy a specific pair of blingy sandals (ugh) or heels (can't wear them) to wear for an hour or so on one cruise.  We have more important/necessary items to take.  If I can't wear a pair of shoes in my daily life, I don't buy them as I consider that a waste of my money.  

I guess you wouldn't like mine, either: https://jambu.com/cornflower/    I have an older model that I've had for years and have worn them around the world in roadside stands and Michelin 3 star restaurants, with shorts and with my LBD.  I haven't been thrown out of anywhere yet...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

blingy sandals (ugh)

Be careful.  There are people on this site who'll fight you to the death over those shoes 🙂  We travel a fair amount every year and generally I take two pairs of shoes.  One for walking all over during the day. And that's what those look like with those soles.  Lately I've become a Rothy's fan (I have no problem wearing them all day) but in the past I've worn some Geox loafer types and also some Sofft flats.  I even have a pair of Ugg loafers with tons of support that don't look at all like their name 🙂  The other pair is for dinner and the current ones are the blue Rothy's shown here or somewhere.  Bizmark's Mom had to make do at the last minute with what she could get her foot into.  Since you called "blingy sandals" "ugh," I'll say that I wouldn't wear those shoes anywhere.  Sorry.  I've never liked the Mary Jane look and I don't like all that sole.  But that just me.  You clearly like them and I clearly don't.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Be careful.  There are people on this site who'll fight you to the death over those shoes 🙂  We travel a fair amount every year and generally I take two pairs of shoes.  One for walking all over during the day. And that's what those look like with those soles.  Lately I've become a Rothy's fan (I have no problem wearing them all day) but in the past I've worn some Geox loafer types and also some Sofft flats.  I even have a pair of Ugg loafers with tons of support that don't look at all like their name 🙂  The other pair is for dinner and the current ones are the blue Rothy's shown here or somewhere.  Bizmark's Mom had to make do at the last minute with what she could get her foot into.  Since you called "blingy sandals" "ugh," I'll say that I wouldn't wear those shoes anywhere.  Sorry.  I've never liked the Mary Jane look and I don't like all that sole.  But that just me.  You clearly like them and I clearly don't.

No fight for those blingy things from me...  It seems on this site, women are talking about either blingy or strappy sandals to wear do dinner.  My only bling is on my ears.  And we won't get into straps 😉

As much as Iike my Rothy's, I can't wear them anywhere - just if I'm sitting all day at work, because they have no support at all. 

I like the soles on the Jambus because it it totally multipurpose and non-slip.  I've been buying from Jambu since 2007.  A pair go on every vacation or cruise since then (even safari!).  Bizmark's Mom may find the really likes those Naots and will wear them from now on and join us "utilitarians."  

My mom never called me a "fashion plate" - I led the girls' revolt in my high school to allow girls to wear dresses/skirts that were 3" above the knee and also wear pants.   I still can't believe I paid what I paid for the blue tank dress I bought last summer to wear to the Andrea Bocelli concert at the Hollywood Bowl - I could have bought a nice parka or a few pairs of jeans for the price!  And, I've only worn it that once - no use for it so far..

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

No fight for those blingy things from me...  It seems on this site, women are talking about either blingy or strappy sandals to wear do dinner.  My only bling is on my ears.  And we won't get into straps 😉

As much as Iike my Rothy's, I can't wear them anywhere - just if I'm sitting all day at work, because they have no support at all. 

I like the soles on the Jambus because it it totally multipurpose and non-slip.  I've been buying from Jambu since 2007.  A pair go on every vacation or cruise since then (even safari!).  Bizmark's Mom may find the really likes those Naots and will wear them from now on and join us "utilitarians."  

My mom never called me a "fashion plate" - I led the girls' revolt in my high school to allow girls to wear dresses/skirts that were 3" above the knee and also wear pants.   I still can't believe I paid what I paid for the blue tank dress I bought last summer to wear to the Andrea Bocelli concert at the Hollywood Bowl - I could have bought a nice parka or a few pairs of jeans for the price!  And, I've only worn it that once - no use for it so far..

Here are some reputably comfortable flats.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/shoes/most-comfortable-flats