Onboard expenses

canole1983

7 hours ago, canole1983 said:

Is there any way to get out of putting the whole 300 dollar deposit on a Norwegian cruise?

Simple answer, no.  The cruise line, any cruise line, wants to ensure your expenses are covered.  The good news, if you don't use it, you'll get it back. 

I just use a low limit credit card.  Last cruise I departed after paying my balance of $48. Very reasonable IMO. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

8 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Simple answer, no.  The cruise line, any cruise line, wants to ensure your expenses are covered.  The good news, if you don't use it, you'll get it back. 

I just use a low limit credit card.  Last cruise I departed after paying my balance of $48. Very reasonable IMO. 

Thank you.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/onboard-expenses

Essentially, if you don't put a card or cash on your account they will cut you off once you get to the $100 OBC. However, if it's non-refundable OBC that cannot be used for the DSC and you did not prepay your DSC you will be over after the first day's DSC is posted to your account so you would be cut off then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I miss understood op 

I have put as little as $50 cash down once onboard then added as needed 

remember if you have not prepaid DSC they are. Billed daily and will need to cover them if your account hits zero or negative they will flag your card and you will have issues using even for your free beverage package until you resolve it

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/onboard-expenses

Essentially, if you don't put a card or cash on your account they will cut you off once you get to the $100 OBC. However, if it's non-refundable OBC that cannot be used for the DSC and you did not prepay your DSC you will be over after the first day's DSC is posted to your account so you would be cut off then. 

I have already prepaid for the DSC.

thank you for responding this is helpful.

8 minutes ago, Rsavtechcruise said:

Sorry I miss understood op 

I have put as little as $50 cash down once onboard then added as needed 

remember if you have not prepaid DSC they are. Billed daily and will need to cover them if your account hits zero or negative they will flag your card and you will have issues using even for your free beverage package until you resolve it

yes i have already prepaid the DSC.

Thank you this is very helpful.

You can put absolutely nothing if you want.  As long as your account doesn't go negative, you won't have any problems.  I also prepay my DSC and I rarely, if ever, charge anything to my room.  So I never put anything on my account, and don't have to worry about going to get it back on the last night.

• Like 1

Like someone else said, you will be cut off from even getting free drinks if you let your account go too far negative.  I'm not sure how far is too far.  I did have this happen to me the first time I had the cruise credit perk.  I booked all my excursions that would be covered by the credits, but I didn't know they would charge for all the excursions on the first night.  Since you don't get the credits until the completion of each excursion, my account was negative until things evened out.  I got a few voicemail messages and letters and my card was cut off.  I went and put $100 on my account so I could use my card for free drinks and went and got it back after the last excursion credit posted

• Like 1