Plastic Bottles Reusable

alwaysonaship

I did a search on the forum and see this has been discussed before, but since it is mixed in with laundry detergent, I am starting a new thread.

Currently we are on the Quest having a lovely trip except for the reusable big water bottles provided. Don’t get me wrong I am for saving the planet, and at home we recycle so much that we

usually have one bag a garbage a week.

However there are these large unsealed bottles in the room which frankly we don’t like. They are not sealed, and are washed, refilled, and end  up back in your cabin. I did ask guest services and they said that was what they were doing now, and  they explained. I prefer a sealed bottle, and frankly do not care for this new approach to being “green”. They still have plastic bottles available when you get off the ship to take with you.

thoughts?

• Like 1

I was going to start a thread asking for information about how this is working, so thanks for the information so far.

How are the bottles washed? I'm hoping that  they go into a special sanitiser/dishwasher? Where are they refilled, from the bathroom tap?

I'm hoping we can still obtain sealed bottles of water for our cabin when we sail in December.   When we sailed on Viking Ocean the carafes of water provided in the suites did not agree with us.  I will contact Seabourn and request bottled water, otherwise we will be bringing our own water when we board in Buenos Aires on Dec. 19.

Going against the grain here, I'm all for re-useable as opposed to one use plastics(flooding our oceans etc)    We've all got to start somewhere.  I drink a lot of water in the suite and always ask our room attendant for 2 litre bottles as opposed to anything small.  My only worry is, will I get enough to keep me going?!

• Like 1

Not waiting for SB to help us save the planet, we've taken a more proactive approach.  Regarding reusable water bottles; we purchase a product called "Voss" sparking water which is a product of out Norway and comes in a 375ml "glass" bottle - cost $1.50 per bottle in the USA.  After enjoying a refreshing bottle of Norway's finest sparkling water, we wash these glass bottles and use them during our travels.  They are the same size as a standard 12 oz plastic water bottle and we each carry 2 of bottles on our trips (making sure they are empty when going through airport security - of course).  

We always pack small bottles of: hand sanitizer, disinfectant hand shop AND Dawn dishwashing liquid for use in our suite.  After spending 200 days per year in hotel rooms, I've acquired a habit of washing my "clean" in room and/or "in suite" drinking glasses.  The  Dawn dishwashing liquid thus serves the dual purpose of washing out our glass drinking bottles after each use as well as our drinking glasses.  

So there you have it.  Our reusable drinking bottle solution.  Two x $1.50 glass water bottles from Norway (no micro cracks included) and $3.00 bottle of dishwashing liquid for the suite (no germs).

IMG_6998.jpeg

IMG_7791.jpeg

Edited by raphael360
sic
  • Like 3

Not sure I am going to be comfortable with an unsealed carafe of water in my cabin.  We are pretty comfortable drinking tap water in many places, but always defer to bottled water when traveling.  I know the water system on board will be safe, but not willing to have it just appear.  I would actually feel safer to fill it myself from the sink.....but even that is not sitting well right now.  I know this is going to be a learning curve for us, but I suspect we will buy a good brand of bottled water while in port.  

• Like 2

We always fill our freshly washed reusable glass bottles with the  bottled water from our suite, so the end result is the same, plastic water bottles are used.   

My solution is only for the passengers who are waiting for SB to provide a solution to avoid carrying plastic water bottles off the ship when going ashore.  It's a kin to our lobbing our grocery stores to stop providing disposable grocery bags.  Makes us feel good about ourselves while we drive our 8 mpg Range Rovers home. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Edited by raphael360
sic
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Isklaar said:

I was going to start a thread asking for information about how this is working, so thanks for the information so far.

How are the bottles washed? I'm hoping that  they go into a special sanitiser/dishwasher? Where are they refilled, from the bathroom tap?

They are not sealed, which I did suggest that to guest services. I have no idea that they are washed or where they are refilled. It would be a good idea in one of the flyers they put in the room to explain the process. Frankly they are too large, and maybe a bit smaller size would be better. 

• Like 1

These are 750ml. Really too large to carry around. We did get 2 of the big 2ltr bottles put in our room after I called guest services. My issue with this water is not sealed, bottle is really to large to carry around, know nothing about where is comes from and is it emptied and refilled, or just refilled. A good informative info sheet would be helpful.

we are very much concerned about our planet, just think this could be explained better, and they should be sealed with some kind of strip on the side perhaps with a date stamp. 

CE58A27E-F2ED-43A1-A2EC-EF2259C7CBA8.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for the photo of the bottle.  750ml is too large to carry around. I'll take a couple of smaller bottles to fill for excursions etc. Did the 2l bottles delivered to your room have the same branding as this bottle? I'm familiar with the company Nordaq, but have only seen their branding on small bottles in restaurants, never on 2 litre bottles.

Until I have more detailed information, ideally direct from Seabourn in the form of a leaflet given to guests, I share your concerns about how exactly the bottles are sanitised and refilled on the ship. I know someone will come along and tell me I should 'trust' Seabourn and I probably do, but just want some reassurance about this.

45 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Thank you for the photo of the bottle.  750ml is too large to carry around. I'll take a couple of smaller bottles to fill for excursions etc. Did the 2l bottles delivered to your room have the same branding as this bottle? I'm familiar with the company Nordaq, but have only seen their branding on small bottles in restaurants, never on 2 litre bottles.

Until I have more detailed information, ideally direct from Seabourn in the form of a leaflet given to guests, I share your concerns about how exactly the bottles are sanitised and refilled on the ship. I know someone will come along and tell me I should 'trust' Seabourn and I probably do, but just want some reassurance about this.

The refillable bottles  were in the room when we embarked with no explanation. Yes, they are too large, and the lack of sanitary information absolutely needs to be addressed. The 2 bottles they brought to the room after I called,  are sealed bottles 2ltr of Evian, and taste much better. We have a whole house water system with was pricey, but we have amazing water. I have tested it and it is free of all chemicals and other things that you do not want in your water. 

‘’We had lunch with two ladies yesterday and they were not pleased with the water.

Edited by alwaysonaship
  • Like 1

There's a YouTube video here from one of the Mandarin Oriental hotels in Hong Kong. it shows the Nordaq Fresh system.

Watch it from :40 seconds to about ;55 seconds and it demonstrates my concerns about how these bottles may be refilled, even by crew but especially when Seabourn installs water fountains around the ship for guests to make their own refill.

We can't trust some other guests not to put their hands all over the food in e.g the Colonnade. We certainly can't trust them not to put the neck of their water bottle up against the water dispenser. 

We know that strict hygiene is essential on board a ship.

I need absolute reassurance from Seabourn that every bottle is thoroughly sanitised in between refills and that all crew members will be given hygiene training. If communal water stations are installed in time for my cruise, I won't be using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6Nun_JqLY

Maybe I'm too simple?  I carry a refillable water bottle with me when I travel.  Fits in the elasticated holder on the side of my backpack.

I just envision that I will fill/refill my own bottle from the bottle of Nordaq filtered water supplied by SB? When I do my errands for the day, I just fill up my refillable bottle at home from the tap and go.  I confess, I don't "sanitize" it all the time.  I rinse it out and go.  But then again, I probably ate dirt as a child!

Pretty impressive list of restaurants using this filtration system.

https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2012/08/16/nordaq-fresh-drinking-water-continues-to-expand-in-u-s/

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Maybe I'm too simple?  I carry a refillable water bottle with me when I travel.  Fits in the elasticated holder on the side of my backpack.

I just envision that I will fill/refill my own bottle from the bottle of Nordaq filtered water supplied by SB? When I do my errands for the day, I just fill up my refillable bottle at home from the tap and go.  I confess, I don't "sanitize" it all the time.  I rinse it out and go.  But then again, I probably ate dirt as a child!

Pretty impressive list of restaurants using this filtration system.

https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2012/08/16/nordaq-fresh-drinking-water-continues-to-expand-in-u-s/

My main concern is NOT having a bottle that I'm reusing sanitised, although it should be periodically. That's exactly what I do at home, I carry a small glass Acqua Panna water bottle which I refill before leaving the house.

My main concern is how bottles that others are drinking from will be sanitised and refilled before they get shared around the guests.Drinking glasses go in the dishwasher, but I want to know how Seabourn will be cleaning the water bottles, as some guests will drink direct from them.

Plus I'm concerned about how other guests who just don't have the sense or manners to think about hygiene, go about refilling their own bottle at a communal water station. 

Plus the bottles that are delivered to the suite aren't sealed. 

Edited by Isklaar

Is anyone assuming anything about what people do with unsealed or reusable bottles placed in the room?   I wouldn't touch it.

Use your imagination and you will realize not only water can go into a water bottle.   Silversea went this direction a long time ago.   True luxury.

7 hours ago, saminina said:

Is anyone assuming anything about what people do with unsealed or reusable bottles placed in the room?   I wouldn't touch it.

Use your imagination and you will realize not only water can go into a water bottle.   Silversea went this direction a long time ago.   True luxury.

I have no idea what you are talking about "what people do with unsealed or reusable bottles"?????

Just left the Ovation this morning.  I am not happy about the new water system.  The same bottles that are laid out in the room are offered to guests as they go ashore with the assumption that the guest will return the bottles when they return.  They are large and awkward to carry ashore.  We just purchased water ashore when we got thirsty.  People do drink directly from these bottles

The bottles are plastic.  How can we be sure they are adequately sterilized?  They cannot be heat sterilized like glass?

In the suites the bottles are placed in the cabinet with the light on that never goes off.  The light makes it warm in that cabinet - since the bottles are not sealed who knows what can grow in the water in that environment.

Our cabin stewardess said that the bottles are cleaned each day and that the smudgy looking spots on the outside of the bottle come from the sanitizer that they use when they clean the bottles.  ...  Say what?  In retrospect I should have asked to talk to the environmental officer or whoever is in charge of this system to get some more direct answers.

Our cabin stewardess admitted that it is probably not good to drink water that has been out for a couple of days.  

The first few days on board I was scared of the bottles.  I drank water from the bathroom tap - it tasted terrible.  Then I started drinking copious quantities in the restaurants where the water is served up from a carafe that no one drinks directly from ... that, too, became inconvenient.  

By the end of the cruise I was using the bottles in my cabin when I needed water - the taste is almost sweet and very flat.  We arranged with our stewardess to get two fresh bottles a day and to have her remove the bottles from the day before with any leftover water that was in them.  After the room was cleaned each day I could verify that the bottles were fresh because they were cold.

I am very concerned about plastic in our environment - but I am also concerned about disease transmission through plastic that is not sterilized, or through water that is not sterile and sealed that sits at tepid temperatures.

This water may work well in restaurants, but in restaurants folks don’t drink directly from the water carafe.  On board they do.  We saw it.  

Are they using a sanitizer on these bottles?  What is it and does it leave a residue that dissolves in the water?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arzz said:

In the suites the bottles are placed in the cabinet with the light on that never goes off.  The light makes it warm in that cabinet - since the bottles are not sealed who knows what can grow in the water in that environment.

Closing both doors would cause the lights to turn off; however, the cabinet interior would then get stuffy.  To get around that, just close one of the two cabinet doors, whichever door that causes the lights to turn off automatically, to allow for air circulation and to turn off the lights.