Electronic Travel Authority

Idratherbeatsea

12 minutes ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Any tips for getting a ETA for Australia and one for New Zeland. We are Canadian. Never had to get one before. 

For Australia go to www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au  NZ is through  immagration nz. Best to use Government sites so your info is secure. ETA for OZ has a admin fee of $20AU. Hope this helps.

It was really easy to get the ETAs for both countries online directly through the respective government websites.  I made notes of the steps, I imagine the Canadian experience would be the same as US.

For Australia I used this link to get to the Australian government visa site: https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

There are 7 steps, all pretty straightforward. First step is choose type of via, a tourist visa and agree to the terms.  Then in step 2 you put in your passport information.  It asked if you had any other names, alias.  I do, my former married name, so checked yes but it didn't ask for the other name. Step 3 is your contact information.  It asks for you phone country code, I looked it up and put in +1.  Hope that is correct.  It didn't like dashes in my phone number, so type in just numbers.  Steps 4-7 are review, payment $20 AUD, credit cards accepted), and reference numbers.  I received two emaisl almost immediately after submitting, the first that the applications was pending and the second that my application was successful and had been electronically attached to my passport.  The visa is good for 1 year from the date of application.  At the end there was an option to apply for another ETA (visa)  Round two for my husband went quicker.

For New Zealand I went to https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta  I scrolled down to "Request an NZETA" then clicked on the link to the online web form.  It also asked for pretty much the same information as Australia but did ask for my former last name.  The charge is $12 NZD for the visa and an additional $35 NZD for a tourism levy for a total of $47 NZD.  I received two emails within a minute that my application had been pending and then approved and electronically attached to my passport.  There wasn't an option to apply for another one so I had to go back to the main page to start over for my husband.

Easy peasy.  Total time for both (and for two people) was less than 1/2 hour, and that included taking notes of the steps and being extra careful when I was typing my information.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm confused. I just got an email from Princess saying to print out my visa. I got an NZeTA not an actual visa .... do I just print out the email? The NZ website states: "

You must apply for entry permission and a visa on arrival in New Zealand." I thought the NZeTA took care of that

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Now I'm confused. I just got an email from Princess saying to print out my visa. I got an NZeTA not an actual visa .... do I just print out the email? The NZ website states: "

You must apply for entry permission and a visa on arrival in New Zealand." I thought the NZeTA took care of that

You are correct, you only need the NZeTA - from the NZ Gov Immigration website.

Checking in for your cruise

When you check in for your cruise you need to show evidence of your NZeTA or visa to check-in staff. This can be:

• your NZeTA confirmation email on your mobile phone or on a web app
  • a printed copy of your NZeTA confirmation email, or
  • a printed copy of your eVisa letter.

Arriving in New Zealand by cruise ship

When you arrive at your first New Zealand port you will be deemed to hold a visitor visa. This expires 28 days after the ship arrives at its first port of entry in New Zealand or when the ship leaves — whichever happens first.

We will check you meet our entry permission requirements and are of good character.

Leigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did send an email to my Princess PVP at the same time I posted above. She just responded (she's off on weekends) that it is electronically attached to my passport so there's nothing else that I need to do. 

Added: Thank you Possum52. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 6:29 AM, jsiegel said:

It was really easy to get the ETAs for both countries online directly through the respective government websites.  I made notes of the steps, I imagine the Canadian experience would be the same as US.

For Australia I used this link to get to the Australian government visa site: https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

There are 7 steps, all pretty straightforward. First step is choose type of via, a tourist visa and agree to the terms.  Then in step 2 you put in your passport information.  It asked if you had any other names, alias.  I do, my former married name, so checked yes but it didn't ask for the other name. Step 3 is your contact information.  It asks for you phone country code, I looked it up and put in +1.  Hope that is correct.  It didn't like dashes in my phone number, so type in just numbers.  Steps 4-7 are review, payment $20 AUD, credit cards accepted), and reference numbers.  I received two emaisl almost immediately after submitting, the first that the applications was pending and the second that my application was successful and had been electronically attached to my passport.  The visa is good for 1 year from the date of application.  At the end there was an option to apply for another ETA (visa)  Round two for my husband went quicker.

For New Zealand I went to https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta  I scrolled down to "Request an NZETA" then clicked on the link to the online web form.  It also asked for pretty much the same information as Australia but did ask for my former last name.  The charge is $12 NZD for the visa and an additional $35 NZD for a tourism levy for a total of $47 NZD.  I received two emails within a minute that my application had been pending and then approved and electronically attached to my passport.  There wasn't an option to apply for another one so I had to go back to the main page to start over for my husband.

Easy peasy.  Total time for both (and for two people) was less than 1/2 hour, and that included taking notes of the steps and being extra careful when I was typing my information.

Thank you for the information

Used the NZ gov't free app which was super easy:  Scanned passports -  took Selfie's - verified information - paid !  Amen

No typing ..........

Had email "pending" statement within minutes and "confirmation" in 4 hours   NZeTA attached to submitted passport 

AUS does not have such an App 

Had confirmation in minutes and