Mariner Los Angeles to Miami - live comments 9/30-10/15/19

JC in CA

1 hour ago, SkystheLimit said:

We were on the Mariner in July.  Great time.  Make sure you try the chimichurri sauce!  Tried it on fish, beef, chicken, and lamb.  Andy and Tammy were on our cruise also.  Believe they will be doing the world cruise in Jan.  He is a very strict trivia host!  Keep having fun!

Good to hear that Andy and Tammy would not put up with the "B.S." that happens when playing trivia.  We stopped playing after a long time cruiser (have not been seen her in about 3 years) was seen cheating (every day).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Good to hear that Andy and Tammy would not put up with the "B.S." that happens when playing trivia.  We stopped playing after a long time cruiser (have not been seen her in about 3 years) was seen cheating (every day).  

Trivia seems to have the same certain ones the world over.  We go to laugh and have some fun.  We did appreciate that Andy did not waiver on the day's answers and would confirm by the next day if there was any question. 

• Like 1

Tammy dropped by our meet and greet today. She and Andy are off the Mariner Oct 15.  They will be back for the world cruise.  She said they have 392 taking the entire world cruise.  

Thanks for the chimichurri recommendation! 

We had dinner at Sette Mare tonight and really enjoyed it.  Had a number of conversations with staff. The sommelier said that he will be on the wc. Said he had asked to go to the Navigator, but was told some passengers taking the wc had requested him, and so his request was denied, he’ll be on the Mariner!

5 minutes ago, JC in CA said:

Tammy dropped by our meet and greet today. She and Andy are off the Mariner Oct 15.  They will be back for the world cruise.  She said they have 392 taking the entire world cruise.  

We had dinner at Sette Mare tonight and really enjoyed it.  Had a number of conversations with staff. The sommelier said that he will be on the wc. Said he had asked to go to the Navigator, but was told some passengers taking the wc had requested him, and so his request was denied, he’ll be on the Mariner!

Andy and Tammy must have some extra batteries than the rest of us.  Incredibly hard working while all the pieces are being juggled.  We loved Sette Mare and the flexibility it offered. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JC in CA said:

Sorry - quoting and I are not getting along! 

Yes, SJC has a line for first class through security- was a very pleasant surprise for us!

Jerrie - thanks!  We will look for that line.

Keep enjoying your cruise!  And keep telling us all about it.

Gerry

• Like 1

Cabo San Lucas today, our excursion was Salsa and Salsa.  The listed length for this excursion is 3 1/2 hours.  It was more like 4 1/2.  We made 6 types of salsa, one margarita and they demoed ( and let us sample) one other and then had about a 20 minute salsa lesson. The salsa making went a bit too long - but it was quite tasty. The margaritas were free and being refilled quickly.  

The location is very close to port, but up a bit of a hill and it was pretty hot - so they bused us there and back to port. 

The dance lesson was the basics and no one other than the couple who ballroom dance did very well! 

It was a fun excursion. 

One strike against Regent - there was a holland America ship also in port - as their guests returned to the pier to await the tender, they were given cups of ice water and damp (bet they were cool!) wash cloths.  Sure wish Regent had provided the cloths for us!

I did hear numerous complaints about the “Rosarita Beach Party” excursion in Ensenada. Everyone said there was no “party “, no food. Very disappointed people on that one. 

Nice dinner in Compass Rose tonight with some new friends - Liz and Dave. Very easy to walk up at 7 pm and get a table for 4.  Were also a number of 2 tops free. 

Entertainer tonight is a flutist - we decided to skip - clocks being set ahead again tonight!

Tomorrow we have a galley tour at 5 pm. Signed up embarkation day at the Reception desk. Also signed up for a Bridge tour. 

• Like 2

JC in CA, enjoying your reports!  We've been to the Mexican Riviera ports many times, but the excursions you are selecting are giving us ideas if/when we sail that route again. 

It is good to see the nice comments about Andy and Tammy.  We sailed with them on the Voyager earlier this year and were very impressed.  I can see why Regent has scheduled them for the WC.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:28 PM, JC in CA said:

Is I Kadek still the sommelier? Really enjoy him.

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Kadek

I’m pretty sure the sommelier in Chartreuse that told us he was assigned to the Mariner for the world cruise  was Mohammad. Will see if I can catch his name. 

• Like 2

Wow!  Came back to our room tonight to find an invitation to have dinner with the HR manager on Sunday night!  Has anyone else received an invitation to dign with a dept manager or officer?

We went on our gallery tour today. Meet time was 4:55 at Compass Rose. The 2 nd in command did the tour.  Allowed pictures!  Talked about the different areas, how that kitchen makes all desserts for the entire ship, all base sauces made there and specialty restaurants get what they need from them.  We saw the pastry folks working on tonight’s dessert. Said quite a few from the Mariner will be going to the Splendor.  Tour was about 15 min. Interesting and worth remembering to inquire at Reception on embarkation day!  We also asked to be put on the bridge tour - have not yet heard when that will be.

• Like 1

We have had dinner with GM or hotel manager..whatever called.  It was a very pleasant evening and we enjoyed it very much. .  We have also declined invitations because we had other plans or just chilling.  But...important to rsvp. 

• Like 1

OnkelKen, 

I’m glad you’re enjoying my ramblings!  We have cruised a few other times on the mass market lines, first time for us on Regent.  Definitely enjoying the smaller ship, very friendly fellow cruisers, awesome cruise director and social hostess. This cruise is a splurge for us, and took a number of years for us to take the plunge!

In my opinion, one of the very best parts of cruising, no mater what cruise line, is the gentle rock of the boat - best sleep ever!

• Like 4

TS:

Glad you took my recommendation offered on an earlier Thread related to our June, 2018 Navigator LA to NYC cruise as to Salsa and Salsa.  We experienced a more active dance class on that outing.  Great fun.  No memory of cold towels, or not, upon return to ship.   Whatever.  

As to dinner invitations:  Yes, common.  On that Navigator outing:  pleasant dinner with CD Ray S., at his invitation; and another with the Chief Engineer and the Personnel Manager (HR) with two other couples. 

On our just-completed BTB aboard Explorer--Food and Beverage Manager Stephane; two others with other ships' Officers during those three weeks.  We accepted all-such invitations.  These were extended so as to not interfere with reservations we had with the specialty restaurant venues.   (How do they know this?)    Duh.  

Go with the flow.  

So-many of these Officers will transfer to Splendor.  We will revisit them this coming March at San Diego.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Go Army,

Yes, we greatly appreciated your recommendation of Salsa and Salsa!  We also learned about the galley and bridge tours here. So grateful for all the info we were able to glean from cruise critic!

Jerie

• Like 2

On our very first cruise on the Navigator, we were invited to dinner with the HR manager, who was lovely and quite interesting. 

We are now gold and usually know most of the staff on our cruises. We were never again invited to dinner with a staff member. Wonder why?

Boo-hoo! We are really nice people. 

Sheila and Herb

• Like 1

Today’s excursion was the “nature encounter, hike and swim” in Acapulco.  It is listed as a “3 man” excursion, and I agree!  We took 2 bottles of water each, and needed them!  There was a shady place for folks to sit if they didn’t want to make the hike.

We we were picked up at the port (really short walk from gangway to bus in this port!) and driven to see the cliff divers. Those guys were amazing!  Be forewarned- restroom off the parking lot charges, once you enter the cliff diver entrance there is a free restroom.

Then driven to our “glass bottom boat” which was named the Titanic!  It did have a glass bottom - but very few fish to see!  Quick trip to the island and then we were offered walking sticks. I found it useful.  We walked along a pier (rocky pavement, definitely need to watch) with small stalls on both sides selling souvenirs and food.  Then through an open air restaurant.  Again, there was a charge for restrooms here and at the top of the hike.  The hike is strenuous, especially with the heat and humidity.  My husband and I both drank a bottle of water. The view of Acapulco is very nice!

We we’re glad to get into the air conditioned bus!  Then to the Tabasco hotel for lunch and a swim. Nachos, grilled beef tenderloin strips, taciquitos, quesadilla, beans and quacamole were served. One beverage was included, but didn’t look like anyone was charged for a 2nd!  The pool was VERY refreshing!

We were back to the ship around 5:30. 

22 hours ago, JC in CA said:

Wow!  Came back to our room tonight to find an invitation to have dinner with the HR manager on Sunday night!  Has anyone else received an invitation to dign with a dept manager or officer?

We went on our gallery tour today. Meet time was 4:55 at Compass Rose. The 2 nd in command did the tour.  Allowed pictures!  Talked about the different areas, how that kitchen makes all desserts for the entire ship, all base sauces made there and specialty restaurants get what they need from them.  We saw the pastry folks working on tonight’s dessert. Said quite a few from the Mariner will be going to the Splendor.  Tour was about 15 min. Interesting and worth remembering to inquire at Reception on embarkation day!  We also asked to be put on the bridge tour - have not yet heard when that will be.

Somehow I missed this post.  So glad that you had an invitation to dinner.  We really enjoy "most" of our dinners with managers/officers.  In fact, we once had dinner with two Engineers - an invitation that some people would not accept.  It may sound boring but we laughed and laughed and had a great time.  I have stayed in touch and both of these Engineers are now Staff Captains.  Can't wait until they become Captain's - they will both be amazing!  We will see one of them on our upcoming cruise - he embarks in Bermuda (Abhe Singh).  Abhe (pronounced Abby) has been assigned to Explorer so we hope to see him more in the future.

We also enjoyed our kitchen tours.  The kitchens are immaculate.  Back in the day (about 10 years ago), Regent had Cordon Bleu classes in the Signatures kitchen (now Chartreuse).  We actually cooked in the kitchen - it was amazing (but the cost was much greater than the classes on Explorer are now but it went on for much longer than what is offered now).  

In terms of Acapulco, it sounds like you both had a great time.  I did not get off of the ship in February (this year) but my DH went to see the divers and was impressed.  Not sure what we will do on Splendor next March.

Sorry for the long post ........ your wonderful posts just excite me!

• Like 1