What to wear in Bermuda

Blossoming

I’m leaving for a cruise to Bermuda this upcoming weekend (Oct 12)...would like to know whether it’s proper etiquette to wear white clothing (pants/dresses, etc) during this time frame—after all, it is after Labor Day.  Looking for advise. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I see you have met DON, Cruise Critic's Senior Diplomat. 😉

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/what-to-pack-what-to-wear-bermuda

Bermuda averages 80 degrees in October. White is fine. But colourful Bermuda shorts are better.😊

Edited by DirtyDawg

Don't understand you Americans  - for a bunch of revolutionaries you're terribly hidebound by conventions.

In Bermuda we enjoy wearing bright colours all year round, and we enjoy wearing white all year round (but less so since it shows the dirt so easily). We're not so keen on black and grey and drab, city colours.

Brightly colored Bermuda shorts are what we all wear, of course, but please, please wear them with either no socks or knee socks - ankle socks just look silly.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

😁

5 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Don't understand you Americans  - for a bunch of revolutionaries you're terribly hidebound by conventions.

In Bermuda we enjoy wearing bright colours all year round, and we enjoy wearing white all year round (but less so since it shows the dirt so easily). We're not so keen on black and grey and drab, city colours.

Brightly colored Bermuda shorts are what we all wear, of course, but please, please wear them with either no socks or knee socks - ankle socks just look silly.

But can those knee socks be white? 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

IMO, that old "rule" is completely outdated. especially when it comes to cruising. Dress for the weather in any color (including white) that you wish. I see white slacks and capri pants being worn no matter the time of year on ships. In fact I plan to take a par of white slacks (as well as black, navy, and beige) on my next cruise which will be in November/December.

I might mention that Bermuda is more conservative than many Caribbean/Bahamas islands, so clothing that is extremely skimpy or otherwise acceptable elsewhere might not be so there.

I agree that white is fine year-round now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I might mention that Bermuda is more conservative than many Caribbean/Bahamas islands, so clothing that is extremely skimpy or otherwise acceptable elsewhere might not be so there.

I agree that white is fine year-round now.

I have been vacationing in Bermuda since 1973 and I have never worn anything there that I would not wear any place else.

Bermuda is one of my favorite places on the planet.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Blossoming said:

I’m leaving for a cruise to Bermuda this upcoming weekend (Oct 12)...would like to know whether it’s proper etiquette to wear white clothing (pants/dresses, etc) during this time frame—after all, it is after Labor Day.  Looking for advise. 

Welcome to cruise critic, 

I would think a pair of shorts would be most apt, as long as they were Bermuda shorts.

The most appropriate wear would be what is most comfortable for the climate during your cruise and the destination.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:48 AM, Blossoming said:

In Bermuda it is Labour Day not US Labor Day so don’t worry about clothing conventions from the US that few follow anymore even in the US. It’s still warm in Bermuda now so wear summer style clothes and colors. Bring a light sweater as the temp might drop a little in the evening although it probably will stay above 70 at night. 

On 10/6/2019 at 4:40 AM, donaldsc said:

What difference does it make what time of year it is.  White after a specific date is an idea that dates back to the 1920's or earlier.

DON

They are on Viking which tends to an older demographic.  That may explain the question. In some parts of Maryland proper etiquette used to be very important. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, biker@sea said:

Do not wear CAMO any time!

Camo is for military Only in Bermuda.

I would not wear camo in Bermuda but I don’t think it is illegal. Also have you ever seen the “military” in Bermuda? I saw the regiment and they were not wearing camo.