Garment steamer

jazzmanfive

Hi

My wife would like to bring a garment steamer on our upcoming cruise as their is no ironing facilities onboard,  does anyone know if this is okay?

I personally do not see a problem as it does not get burning hot like an iron and cools down fairly rapidly.

Thanks

Jazz

• Like 1

I would say no.  They confiscate electricals. 

Your wife can pack everything using cleaner bags...the plastic bags you get at the cleaners...half length bags for short things and full length bags for dresses, etc.  If you put the already pressed garment on a hangar and cover it with a garment bag...then pack it neatly ;hangar and all.  When you unpack all you have to do is take the garment, still in the bag, and hang it up.  When you are ready to wear it will look like the day you pressed it...NO WRINKLES!!  

We pack all our clothing like that.  When we get in the cabin we have the steward take away the extra hangars that are in the closet.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I think the answer to my question will be no (not allowed), but for the life of me i cannot understand how a steamer is more dangerous than hair straightners/curling tongs which are allowed.

Bewildered

Jazz

1 hour ago, jazzmanfive said:

I think the answer to my question will be no (not allowed), but for the life of me i cannot understand how a steamer is more dangerous than hair straightners/curling tongs which are allowed.

Bewildered

Jazz

It's probably not, and I believe all the lines would dearly love to ban those hair devices.  But they are not willing to face the outrage...EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzmanfive said:

Bewildered

Jazz

Presumably the difference is the steamer has a heating element that can boil water. I’m not aware of any cruise line, that I’ve sailed on, that allows kettles, coffee makers, etc but strangely some lines provide kettles in cabins (probably low wattage appliances) - no problem being bewildered, it’s all a bit contradictory.

43 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It's probably not, and I believe all the lines would dearly love to ban those hair devices.  But they are not willing to face the outrage...EM

I think you are spot on there Essiesmom!

All electrical items are equal---------but, some are more equal than others.😖

Jazz

On 10/6/2019 at 9:22 AM, jazzmanfive said:

Hi

My wife would like to bring a garment steamer on our upcoming cruise as their is no ironing facilities onboard,  does anyone know if this is okay?

I personally do not see a problem as it does not get burning hot like an iron and cools down fairly rapidly.

Thanks

Jazz

Don't know about MSC --however every cruise line we have sailed confiscates irons and steamers... and there  is a table where offenders can pick them up upon debarkation.

I'd guess MSC is the same and its a hard NO

8 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Don't know about MSC --however every cruise line we have sailed confiscates irons and steamers... and there  is a table where offenders can pick them up upon debarkation.

I'd guess MSC is the same and its a hard NO

I wonder how a water sprayer and the cabins hair drier would work?

An instant steamer provided by the cruise line.

Anyone ever tried this.Is it effective on blouses ,shirts etc.?

Nothing like getting inventive!😊

Jazz

3 minutes ago, jazzmanfive said:

I wonder how a water sprayer and the cabins hair drier would work?

An instant steamer provided by the cruise line.

Anyone ever tried this.Is it effective on blouses ,shirts etc.?

Nothing like getting inventive!😊

Jazz

IDK

Maybe hang it in the bathroom during a hot shower? 

The packing ideas with dry cleaner bags is a good one--as is the Downey wrinkle release

On a recent B2B on another line-- DH sent 2 dress shirts our for pressing each week. 

22 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Someone posted that they were able to take a portable one on along with a curling iron. I’m bringing a vey small travel one. If they find it, they can have it. It’s old anyway😉 time for a new one. 

One main reason why they do not accept electrical appliances on ships is to avoid fires. Some old appliances are more risky than others and could start malfunctioning. Before you bring any old appliance, it would be good if, for your safety and for the safety of other passengers, you are sure that it functions properly.

Not true!

Virtually every cruise line allow hair straightners/curling tongs, if that is not a fire risk i do not know what is?

I would bet that a fair few people who uses these leave them in the cabin to cool down unattended once they have finished using them as they take a long time, also charging phones,ipods(other makes are available),shavers etc. all these items are not risk free.

Basically, it is not appliances that start fires on ships but the irresponsibility of people who own them.

BUT, I do agree that you can never be too careful when anything that can be harmful to the safety of the ship be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

Jazz

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

One main reason why they do not accept electrical appliances on ships is to avoid fires. Some old appliances are more risky than others and could start malfunctioning. Before you bring any old appliance, it would be good if, for your safety and for the safety of other passengers, you are sure that it functions properly.

I didn’t mean to imply it was hazardous as I would never have anything dangerous in my own home.  I have brought it on every cruise and even left it out in the open and it was never taken.  I wonder why MSC doesn’t have irons for us to borrow like on other cruise lines?  

1 hour ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

I didn’t mean to imply it was hazardous as I would never have anything dangerous in my own home.  I have brought it on every cruise and even left it out in the open and it was never taken.  I wonder why MSC doesn’t have irons for us to borrow like on other cruise lines?  

Celebrity does not allow steamers I can tell you that with certainty  nor do they have irons to borrow 

Edited by emmas gran