Does FREE gratuities offer screw the staff?

calvindoth

Here is a copy of some paperwork that was in our cabin on embarkation day for an Alaska Cruise on the Star in late August.  

Read the bootom where it claims that the gratuities are spread throughout the fleet.  Doesn't mean it is, but it's what the Star Princess has said in August.

Star Princess.jpg

Edited by dweeb
spelling

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes of course since crew have just only recently started coming and going from ships.

It is all very clear now.

I will stick with what I have been told.

Well maybe you can explain it to me then....we usually do 30 day cruises or longer....at almost every port contracts are ending and beginning for crew members it seems.  Some get off and some get on....if a cruise is for two week and a group of crew members are only on that cruise for 4 days because their contract is ending and new crew members begin a contract during the remaining 10 days of that cruise how are the tips split then?  

I cannot believe accounting is able to or willing to keep track of all the coming and going of crew members and how are they going to know what the tip pool is for that cruise until it ends and who gets what when?  

It would make more sense that they would split a tip pool based on their contract days and not each cruise

or partial cruise.

Therefore it makes so much more sense that tips are split fleet wide like we have been told over and over and it is also printed in Princess information regarding their tipping policies....I guess ignorance is truly bliss!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

34 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Well maybe you can explain it to me then....we usually do 30 day cruises or longer....at almost every port contracts are ending and beginning for crew members it seems.  Some get off and some get on....if a cruise is for two week and a group of crew members are only on that cruise for 4 days because their contract is ending and new crew members begin a contract during the remaining 10 days of that cruise how are the tips split then?  

I cannot believe accounting is able to or willing to keep track of all the coming and going of crew members and how are they going to know what the tip pool is for that cruise until it ends and who gets what when?  

It would make more sense that they would split a tip pool based on their contract days and not each cruise

or partial cruise.

Therefore it makes so much more sense that tips are split fleet wide like we have been told over and over and it is also printed in Princess information regarding their tipping policies....I guess ignorance is truly bliss!!

The tips are split, it’s on the website, it’s on the letter in the Cabin as in above post and a ex member of crew who has lots of friends still on contract has told me ( I asked yesterday). Why won’t people except that. 

Edited by antsp
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

or partial cruise.

When you resort to name calling it nullifies your argument.

I will stick with what I have been told as well.

• Haha 1

Reading these posts posts brings to mind Winston Churchill's quote about Russia:- "A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

Nobody really knows for certain how the system works and how one interprets a written sentence depends on how slick the legal training is. May I also bring to mind the Clarence the Clocker song:- "..... and the horse told me."

How does the fleet wide distribution work when ships are AU and NZ based and there is no automatic gratuities added? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mobiandy said:

How does the fleet wide distribution work when ships are AU and NZ based and there is no automatic gratuities added?

Simple. Crew on Aust/NZ-based ships are not part of the tips pool. They are paid a higher flat rate of remuneration. The only tips they get are those given to them personally.

This is one reason why I find it odd that passengers from other parts of the world (USA/Europe etc) who book on the Aussie cruises, still have the auto-gratuity added to their on-board accounts. These funds would go into the general tips pool. I do not believe that the Princess accounting office would bother to work out which stewards served these particular passengers, then apportion the auto-gratuity these passengers paid, to the stewards who either cleaned their cabin, or served them in the MDR. 

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 1:31 AM, antsp said:

P and O now include tips as standard due to high removal rates

I wish princess would follow this.

I don't mind paying my share; but I resent paying when others skate...

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

I wish princess would follow this.

I don't mind paying my share; but I resent paying when others skate...

Several of us regular P&O cruisers emailed P&O saying exactly this because so many customers were stopping their tips and I and others suggested making tips included.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Several of us regular P&O cruisers emailed P&O saying exactly this because so many customers were stopping their tips and I and others suggested making tips included.

Princess should do the same, the market in the USA is completely different to the uk. They love to add extras on everything, tax, service fees, convenience fees. Port tax.