Does FREE gratuities offer screw the staff?

calvindoth

4 hours ago, antsp said:

Your tip may go to to another member of staff on another ship. All tips are pooled fleet wide. If someone stops there tip it doesn’t effect there room steward or waitstaff it effects every member of crew under the gratuities system. 

They DO NOT go fleet wide.

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

but also realize that some _________would try to go to the passenger service desk and ask for a refund as it had to be built into their fare, so in essence,they are the ones who 'paid' the grats, and now want that taken off their account

I would suspect that anyone going to passenger services to ask for a refund would be shown a copy of their current voucher and asked to indicate what charge they were requesting be refunded. Since no charge would be present on the voucher, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  That would be my guess!

Tom

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Oh no!  Now you've done it......... you took the bait. 

Why would anyone believe Princess.com own website

During your cruise, regardless of which Princess ship you choose, you will meet staff who provide you with excellent service. Crew members often rotate to different vessels within the Princess fleet which helps to maintain our high standards on every ship. These dedicated workers reflect our philosophy that all crew on all ships are but one family who share in our success.

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $16.50 per guest for suites, $15.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $14.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

11 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I usually do anytime dining and eat in the buffet.  When I prepay gratuities am I tipping the wait staff in the MDRs when they have never waited on me?

It also covers the buffet staff and your cabin steward.

2 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

By reading the fine print.... 

**3 for FREE perks applies to the below

††FREE Gratuities are based on the pre-payment, by Princess Cruises, on behalf of the guest.

Not the question.

How can you know that the crew in the tipping pool gets the same amount when gratuities are included,

vs. when a passenger pays the hotel charge?

Which I think was the question of the original poster.

So, that's my question ... how can you know the correct answer?

I'd be surprised if some princess executive (one who does know the answer) would post it here.

Princess has a thousand ways to nickle-and-dime crew, so personally, I wouldn't assume...

Edited by pablo222

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess have stated that the Gratuity pool is shared 'fleet-wide'. I don't think they would say that if it is not the case. 🙂

No they say the gratuity system is fleetwide not shared.

Did you read the statement above or not?

During your cruise, regardless of which Princess ship you choose, you will meet staff who provide you with excellent service. Crew members often rotate to different vessels within the Princess fleet which helps to maintain our high standards on every ship. These dedicated workers reflect our philosophy that all crew on all ships are but one family who share in our success.

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $16.50 per guest for suites, $15.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $14.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

• Like 2

I believe the fine print states something along the lines of “Princess Cruises shall pay the daily gratuity on the passengers behalf” when the “free gratuities” are offered as part of a promotion. And they do show up as paid on your folio. 

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

Certain members of cc don’t like what they read. This is from Princess.com. It’s obviously not a lie. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, calvindoth said:

Does anybody know if the FREE gratuities offers means that the staff does not get the standard tip? Or does princess make up the difference?

They still get their gratuity. Usually it's a package deal. In most cases it's really not free! You're paying for it through some kind of package deal.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, keithm said:

They still get their gratuity. Usually it's a package deal. In most cases it's really not free! You're paying for it through some kind of package deal.

For me it is about the convenience of not having to budget for the gratuities separately.  I realize you pay more for the fare up front but the gratuities paid is just easier on me personally.

2 hours ago, antsp said:

Certain members of cc don’t like what they read. This is from Princess.com. It’s obviously not a lie. 

No where in there does it state tips given on one ship are then shared fleet wife. Certain members try to interpret things to meet their own agenda.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

For me it is about the convenience of not having to budget for the gratuities separately.  I realize you pay more for the fare up front but the gratuities paid is just easier on me personally.

Either way, it comes out the same. We do budget the gratuities. Sometimes we'll pay them in advance. We still always pay them extra on the last sea day as well. Love to see the cheapskates who skip that last dinner to avoid doing that. They're often at the guest service desk removing their standard gratuity as well. If you don't believe me, try sitting there on that last night & watch. Some of the pax get quite vocal when asked why they want to remove the auto gratuity.

2 minutes ago, Potstech said:

No where in there does it state tips given on one ship are then shared fleet wife. Certain members try to interpret things to meet their own agenda.

It does say that, but I agree that it isn't spread fleet wide. Sounds like some corporate baloney to me as well. 

5 hours ago, famski740 said:

No, actually, Potstech is correct . It does say "across the fleet". That means it's done on ALL the Princess ships. It does not mean that a gratuity you pay on the Regal for instance, is partially/wholly shared by any other Princess ship. The line just has the same rule fleet wide.

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

who are the "housekeeping staff" ?

That would include steward assistants & staff you see cleaning in "common" areas as well as in staterooms. The person vacuuming the hall way is a good example.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Daniel A said:

I usually do anytime dining and eat in the buffet.  When I prepay gratuities am I tipping the wait staff in the MDRs when they have never waited on me?

Do you ALWAYS eat in the buffet? In most cases then the buffet staff would be sharing in the tips. Overall it's a huge pool & it gets spread among nearly all the staff(non mgt. of course) I do believe the bar staff are NOT included in the normal tipping pool, but share in that nice little "charge" you see when you sign the bar slip. I'm pretty sure that's only for bar staff, as not all pax drink.

13 minutes ago, keithm said:

This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

my question has ALWAYS been ... are those the ONLY people who share in the pool ???

of course not ...

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, voljeep said:

ok, i'll post this, then ...frozen ..

we have NEVER removed the auto-grats, and if anything over-tip while on board...

the OP asked if the staff got screwed ... I 'think' just the opposite ... but also realize that some _________

would try to go to the passenger service desk and ask for a refund as it had to be built into their fare, so in essence,

they are the ones who 'paid' the grats, and now want that taken off their account

j/s

We're in the hospitality industry & yes, we tend to over tip as well. You want to have some fun? Go hang out near the service desk & watch the amazing amount of pax lining up. Yes, a few are quibbling about unwanted/mystery charges. A lot however are trying to remove the auto tip. Stand close enough to hear the pax "Beyotching" about the horrid service they encountered. Some are probably upset that whips aren't included in their staterooms!