Military Discount

elaineb

The current Celebrity offer has a military discount.  My DH was in the Air Force for 10 years.  He did not retire, however, he is a disabled vet.  Does he qualify for the military discount or is it only for active and retired military personnel?  Thank you!

Yes, he does qualify.  Celebrity now gives discounts to vets.  We recently received a $100 discount because my husband served in the Navy for 8 years, and we were advised that he would need to bring his DD214 with him to the pier, even though it is clearly indicated on his driver's license that he is a  veteran.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LadyBerard said:

Yes, he does qualify.  Celebrity now gives discounts to vets.  We recently received a $100 discount because my husband served in the Navy for 8 years, and we were advised that he would need to bring his DD214 with him to the pier, even though it is clearly indicated on his driver's license that he is a  veteran.

Thank you so much!  We are booked in an inside room, but with the current vet offer, I am going to surprise hubby and move us up to a balcony!

• Like 2

It doesn't apply to different nations either unlike Princess. It is restricted to US and Canadian vets. A bit of a rort in my opinion considering how many nations travel on the Royal Caribbean Group

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

It doesn't apply to different nations either unlike Princess. It is restricted to US and Canadian vets. A bit of a rort in my opinion considering how many nations travel on the Royal Caribbean Group

It applies in the UK - although we don't have quite the same separate concept of "vet" that the US does. We have serving or retired / released.  Discounts also apply to any law enforcement or emergency services personnel with a Blue Light Card. 

ETA:  You have to ask for the discount and it only applies if you book direct with X.  You can't get it through a TA.  Not sure if that is the same for the US.

Edited by GastroGnome

Will the veteran military ID Card From the state of Virginia DMV with the new 

Symbol  & informations be acceptable by Celebrity ?  This is the new DMV license that includes your prove of veteran service that you are a Honorable Discharged Veteran. This document, with a photo will be required   by TSA  In 2020, to board a commercial airplane and to enter military installations.

Can you show Celebrity a copy of your DD214 ?

Edited by cruise47

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Will the veteran military ID Card From the state of Virginia DMV with the new 

Symbol  & informations be acceptable by Celebrity ?  This is the new DMV license that includes your prove of veteran service that you are a Honorable Discharged Veteran. This document, with a photo will be required   by TSA  In 2020, to board a commercial airplane and to enter military installations.

Can you show Celebrity a copy of your DD214 ?

Take a copy of the DD214 for a CYA. I have never had to provide prof that I was honorably discharged to get the discount. Even when booking a future cruise while on a Celebrity or RC ship.  

Here is the language on Celebrity's website:

"Military Savings Offer applies to 4-night and longer cruises departing 06/01/19 – 05/03/21. Galapagos itineraries are excluded. At least one guest in the stateroom must be an active, retired or veteran member of the United States or Canada Military. A valid U.S. or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the current standard cruise fare or otherwise be denied boarding. Savings Offer amounts are per person and based on stateroom category. Savings applied to cruise fare at checkout. Offer applies to first and second guests in the stateroom."

The language seems to assume that all veterans have IDs identifying themselves as such, but that is not true. Many of us are veterans who are not eligible for VA healthcare and so we never receive an ID card. The VA website now has info on how you can get a Veterans' ID Card for presenting to merchants and others who offer some benefit (Lowe's has 365 veteran's discount; many others do so on Memorial Day and Veterans Day).

The Royal Caribbean website specifically mentions presenting an ID or DD 214 to prove service. I have a reduced-in-size copy of my DD 214 in my wallet. Celebrity, when I called, said that was sufficient. Then no one asked for it.

Edited by mayleeman

I am the widow of a retired military veteran. Both my Celebrity vacation planner and the TA I occasionally use, have stated that I am eligible for the military rate. All I need to show is my military ID, if I am asked. On the two cruises, where I got a military rate, no one asked for proof. 

22 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I am the widow of a retired military veteran. Both my Celebrity vacation planner and the TA I occasionally use, have stated that I am eligible for the military rate. All I need to show is my military ID, if I am asked. On the two cruises, where I got a military rate, no one asked for proof. 

It seems to vary depending on who you are dealing with.  Sometimes we have been asked for proof and other times we haven't.  But we always keep that DD214 handy.

Some travel agents have asked us to fax them a copy before they would officially accept the booking.