Enough time to disembark, catch flight and board in one day??

Qld13

We are looking at a Silversea cruise in Jan/Feb 2021 and also a Regent cruise. Silversea arrives in San Juan at 7am we will then need to disembark, collect luggage and get to airport to fly to Miami and be there in time for Regent departure at 5pm On the same day.

Is this possible to do? We have to book cruises now but flights will not be available to book until next February?

Thanks

Technically - yes you can do this.  Flight San Juan to Miami is 3 hours.  Assuming you are off the ship at 0800, clear Customs and Immigration and are at the airport by 1000 for a 1200 flight you will arrive at MIA around 1500.   Taxi to the port and you should be boarding by 1600.   BUT this is very very risky.  If the flight is delayed you will not be at the ship in time.   

Personally I would not risk this.   The MIA airport is a zoo.  And the American Airlines section of it about the worst of the entire zoo !!  (and AA seems to have a lock on flights to/from the Caribbean)

It's not the airport that concerns me.  It is other things.

I am not sure your dates but the likely flight you would want is a 11:27 AM flight that I see which American Airlines offers arriving to Miami at 1:19 PM.  There is a 10:00 AM flight but I would worry about traffic and also if the ship arrives late.  I looked at other airlines but their times won't work from a quick review.

If all goes well with the 11:27 AM flight you are fine.  However, what happens if it is cancelled or delayed significantly.  You miss the cruise.

So I think it comes down to how much risk you want to take.  I don't care for stress so I never fly in the same day of a cruise unless I had a backup plan to drive and that is not possible in your case.  Some people don't mind stress and would do it.  Others like me wouldn't.

Good luck with what you decide.

Keith

Hi

Thank you for your comments.

Keith thank you for checking possible flight times, we have now decided to do things a different way and have a week between the 2 cruises

David

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Technically - yes you can do this.  Flight San Juan to Miami is 3 hours.  Assuming you are off the ship at 0800, clear Customs and Immigration and are at the airport by 1000 for a 1200 flight you will arrive at MIA around 1500.   Taxi to the port and you should be boarding by 1600.   BUT this is very very risky.  If the flight is delayed you will not be at the ship in time.   

Personally I would not risk this.   The MIA airport is a zoo.  And the American Airlines section of it about the worst of the entire zoo !!  (and AA seems to have a lock on flights to/from the Caribbean)

While the OP has nixed this idea, while the flight is about 3 hours, it is only 2 hours clock time as Miami is an hour earlier that San Juan, different tie zone.  Would never recommend this combination as too many possible delays with little mitigation time.

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It's not the airport that concerns me.  It is other things.

I am not sure your dates but the likely flight you would want is a 11:27 AM flight that I see which American Airlines offers arriving to Miami at 1:19 PM.  There is a 10:00 AM flight but I would worry about traffic and also if the ship arrives late.  I looked at other airlines but their times won't work from a quick review.

If all goes well with the 11:27 AM flight you are fine.  However, what happens if it is cancelled or delayed significantly.  You miss the cruise.

So I think it comes down to how much risk you want to take.  I don't care for stress so I never fly in the same day of a cruise unless I had a backup plan to drive and that is not possible in your case.  Some people don't mind stress and would do it.  Others like me wouldn't.

Good luck with what you decide.

Keith

Definately agree with you and are glad that the TS has changed their plans!

😳

Glad you thought better of this!  Although technically possible there are WAY too many potential problem areas for my tastes.

I’d never risk it...although you’d feel like a boss if it actually all came together!  LOL!

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

😳

Glad you thought better of this!  Although technically possible there are WAY too many potential problem areas for my tastes.

I’d never risk it...although you’d feel like a boss if it actually all came together!  LOL!

Well, I’d never do it...but second thought, the worry hyperness would help to melt off the cruise pounds.