An idea of summer pricing for NY—> Venice?

SarcasmSpasm

6 minutes ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me get a sense for what a typical round trip/non-stop flight from NY to Venice would be? Looking to fly in mid to late August 2020

thanks!

Most airlines will have August 2020 on sale now...just head to ITA Matrix to get an idea of pricing, this covers most airlines. Always recommend booking with airline directly. 

• Like 1

I'd also look at flying from EWR and possibly even PHL.  Sometimes the fares can be considerably lower than JFK, even with additional travel costs.  If you can readily handle your bags, it's easy to take Amtrak from NYP to PHL and then transfer to the SEPTA train directly to the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Most airlines will have August 2020 on sale now...just head to ITA Matrix to get an idea of pricing, this covers most airlines. Always recommend booking with airline directly. 

Oh - I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear. 

I know i can find current rates out there. I was seeing about $1100/person when I checked for flights.  That seems high to me. Is it?  I just wanted to get a sense for what other people have paid in past summers for a flight from Newark you Venice. 

3 hours ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

I know i can find current rates out there. I was seeing about $1100/person when I checked for flights.  That seems high to me. Is it?

So what were you expecting to pay?  And why was that number in your mind?  Had you been researching before, or was this just "first look - seems high"?

3 hours ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

I just wanted to get a sense for what other people have paid in past summers for a flight from Newark you Venice. 

What others paid has ZERO relationship to what you will pay for flights in 2020.  Because your ticket price will depend on dates, flights and above all else, the inventory that UA revenue management allocates to each of the myriad fare buckets on that routing.

In an absolute vacuum, UA has 166 different published fares for EWR-VCE.   The fare price ranges from $420 to $15832.   But will any particular one be valid for YOUR dates and flights?  No one can say, other than knowing what's being offered to you right now.

Some are only valid for certain time frames, for certain days of the week, with various advance purchase and stay requirements.  And some are for fare buckets that rarely, if ever, get allocations in prime travel times.

So...this is when you need to do your diligent research.  Look at ticket pricing for routings and travel dates that approximate your planned travel.  You will see changes, both up and down.  But recognize that it is almost impossible for an individual to outguess the yield management algorithms - there's no "signal" that you are getting the lowest possible price for your flight.  When you find a price you can can live with, you need to ask yourself -- "Am I willing to wait for a potentially lower price that may never occur and risk the price rising significantly as time goes by while I'm waiting?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

What others paid has ZERO relationship to what you will pay for flights in 2020.  Because your ticket price will depend on dates, flights and above all else, the inventory that UA revenue management allocates to each of the myriad fare buckets on that routing.

I fly to MCO at least 5-6 times a year. If someone asked me “is $500/person for a summer flight from NYC to MCO expensive?” I could give a general answer. Obviously I recognize that days, times, length, etc are factors. But I could say that TYPICALLY $500 would be expensive for a summer flight from NYC to MCO - whereas it would be a more typical price for mid-February.  That’s based on my 20+ years of travel history doing that route. 

That’s all I was looking for. I recognize pricing fluctuates.  But yes, thank you, I will do my own research and track prices (as I usually do). 

• Like 1

One other reason why past pricing is likely non-indicative is some of the shakeout in the European air industry.  WOW went into bankruptcy and stopped flying.  Norwegian has cut back on their services to the USA.   There is less downward pressure on other carriers because of the problems on the low end of the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me get a sense for what a typical round trip/non-stop flight from NY to Venice would be? Looking to fly in mid to late August 2020

thanks!

8 hours ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

I fly to MCO at least 5-6 times a year. If someone asked me “is $500/person for a summer flight from NYC to MCO expensive?” I could give a general answer. Obviously I recognize that days, times, length, etc are factors. But I could say that TYPICALLY $500 would be expensive for a summer flight from NYC to MCO - whereas it would be a more typical price for mid-February.  That’s based on my 20+ years of travel history doing that route. 

That’s all I was looking for. I recognize pricing fluctuates.  But yes, thank you, I will do my own research and track prices (as I usually do). 

Since you are well traveled and versed in 'pricing' of air fares, have you not looked at websites such as 'fare compare'? What about flyer talk?

While fare compare will not comment on your desires you will get 'history'... they do not do 'future', yet! LOL

At Flyer Talk you will get similar responses as received here... but hey, go for it.

Usually, a perusal/search of this forum first would let one know what everyone has stated thus far about requesting future prognostications on fares... and what one can do to get a gauge on what any fare may be...

Since it appears that you have not been on CC too long under the current screen name, on this forum you will find recommendations on going through your cruise line for possible quotes on your routing(s).

Enjoy and I know you will find your answers, they are out there if just depends on when they are revealed through research...

bon voyage

31 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Since you are well traveled and versed in 'pricing' of air fares, have you not looked at websites such as 'fare compare'? What about flyer talk?

While fare compare will not comment on your desires you will get 'history'... they do not do 'future', yet! LOL

At Flyer Talk you will get similar responses as received here... but hey, go for it.

Usually, a perusal/search of this forum first would let one know what everyone has stated thus far about requesting future prognostications on fares... and what one can do to get a gauge on what any fare may be...

Since it appears that you have not been on CC too long under the current screen name, on this forum you will find recommendations on going through your cruise line for possible quotes on your routing(s).

Enjoy and I know you will find your answers, they are out there if just depends on when they are revealed through research...

bon voyage

I don’t consider being a member (albeit not a regular posting member - I read more than I post) for 8 years to be a newbie...but thank you for “educating” me on the usage of cruise critic.

The amount of condescension in your post is pretty remarkable...and an exact reason WHY my post count isn’t higher.  

But, I do genuinely thank you for the suggestion to check out flyer talk.  I forget about that site.

Perhaps next time, when someone comes on looking for help, you could simply make your helpful recommendations without all of the masked jabs (and research into their profile and post count)?  Consider that MY helpful suggestion.  Certainly makes people feel more inclined to come to cruise critic for help/suggestions. 

Thanks to the previous posters who were kind in their suggestions. It is appreciated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

One other reason why past pricing is likely non-indicative is some of the shakeout in the European air industry.  WOW went into bankruptcy and stopped flying.  Norwegian has cut back on their services to the USA.   There is less downward pressure on other carriers because of the problems on the low end of the market.

Thank you - that makes sense. Appreciate the response. 

25 minutes ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

I don’t consider being a member (albeit not a regular posting member - I read more than I post) for 8 years to be a newbie...but thank you for “educating” me on the usage of cruise critic.

The amount of condescension in your post is pretty remarkable...and an exact reason WHY my post count isn’t higher.  

But, I do genuinely thank you for the suggestion to check out flyer talk.  I forget about that site.

Perhaps next time, when someone comes on looking for help, you could simply make your helpful recommendations without all of the masked jabs (and research into their profile and post count)?  Consider that MY helpful suggestion.  Certainly makes people feel more inclined to come to cruise critic for help/suggestions. 

Thanks to the previous posters who were kind in their suggestions. It is appreciated. 

Only responded in kind to your tone to others here... and not being sarcastic or condescending or patronizing, either..

My apologies if you are offended by the thoughts provided...

While not positive, yet I do not think that are that many posters/lurkers here on CC who have flown to Europe five to six (5-6) times a year over the last 20+ years who can/will respond with confirmation, to your request.

Just my take on it and no one else's I suspect.

bon voyage

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

While not positive, yet I do not think that are that many posters/lurkers here on CC who have flown to Europe five to six (5-6) times a year over the last 20+ years who can/will respond with confirmation, to your request.

Just my take on it and no one else's I suspect.

bon voyage

When I was questioned about my abilities to do research by another poster, I responded in kind to THEIR tone. 

You, however, continue to be snarky...

You took a minute out of your day, and purposely crafted that little number above to be sarcastic and rude. No other intention. 

Ugh. Why I respond to bait like this is beyond me...I’m annoyed at myself for indulging it. 

On a positive note - genuinely- thank you for the site information earlier. It’s already proven useful.  

Now I’m finished engaging in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, SarcasmSpasm said:

When I was questioned about my abilities to do research by another poster, I responded in kind to THEIR tone. 

You took a minute out of your day, and purposely crafted that little number above to be sarcastic and rude. No other intention. 

Ugh. Why I respond to bait like this is beyond me...I’m annoyed at myself for indulging it. 

On a positive note - genuinely- thank you for the site information earlier. It’s already proven useful.  

Now I’m finished engaging in this thread.

I feel your pain. LOL  I don't understand the snarky attitude of some posters on CC.  Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to your question, I wish I did.  And remember, the ignore feature is your friend.  Good luck in your airfare seach!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I feel your pain. LOL  I don't understand the snarky attitude of some posters on CC.  Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to your question, I wish I did.  And remember, the ignore feature is your friend.  Good luck in your airfare seach!

Aww - thanks.  Appreciate your response. ❤️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

If you think the knowledgeable folks on here are condescending and sarcastic.....I would not try asking on flyer talk.  The folks over there make this page look like a church social sometimes. 

😂😂😂

thanks for the heads up. 😂

19 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

If you think the knowledgeable folks on here are condescending and sarcastic.....I would not try asking on flyer talk.  The folks over there make this page look like a church social sometimes. 

Well, as a long time member and volunteer moderator on Flyertalk, I'll just disagree.

On most of the boards on FT there's a "sticky" thread (permanent) at the top of the board called something like "Newbie Lounge" in which flaming or disrespecting new members or innocent questions is strictly prohibited.  As a moderator of one such board ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/ ) I will instantly delete any post or or discipline the poster when I see something disrespectful put in that thread.  It's not a perfect system, and yes, there are plenty of snarky people on FT, but in my view it's a tiny minority compared to the vast majority who are patient, instructive, and respectful of new members, even ones asking beginners' questions.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 4:17 PM, SarcasmSpasm said:

Oh - I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear. 

I know i can find current rates out there. I was seeing about $1100/person when I checked for flights.  That seems high to me. Is it?  I just wanted to get a sense for what other people have paid in past summers for a flight from Newark you Venice. 

Take a look at Google Flights and play around with the features.  I have circled the informative features in the attached pic.  Prices are currently low for August 2020.

B40904A1-71AB-4B25-9750-52E0BC9FD05F.jpeg

On 10/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, SarcasmSpasm said:

I read Bo's reply and didn't feel it was was intended to be overly snarky or condescending.  YMMV

In answer to your question, I think $1100 is about average for summer.  You will certainly find folks who have flown for less, but many times the trade off is a less desireable itinerary or purchasing through the cruise line, which MAY mean the ticket comes with additional restrictions.  I've only flown in or out of Venice a couple of times, but for tickets to any large city in Europe in the summer, it is not unheard of for prices to approach 2K at times and yes, that's in coach.

• Thanks 1