Meraviglia New York-Canada-Miami Oct/Nov '19

Beamafar

On 11/1/2019 at 8:48 AM, Beamafar said:

🤣🤣🤣 Geez ... how observant are you?!!! 😁

I'm also left-handed  😂(sinister, as they used to say 😉). 

I always would say there's something sinister about left handers, but that was only because of two painful years of Latin aeons ago. Few people today get the reference. 😀 I think my Latin teacher was a contemporary of Cicero. 

My apologies for going off the rails. To get back on topic, I'm trying to convince my wife to try an MSC cruise as she was unable to sail on my April Seaside cruise. I would like to try the Seaside again before I try the Meraviglia.

Jim

• Like 1

We're a little behind schedule leaving Grenada.   All Aboard was 1.30pm and the captain was tooting the horn for the third time at 2.15pm.  I've no idea if we've left passengers ashore, but we're under sail now having left around 2.20pm.

Grenada is a beautiful island.  We did a Nature & Spice tour.  Anyone interested in botany or horticulture would really enjoy this - there was a lot of emphasis on the various plants, flowers and fruits that are abundant here.

Some images from the island

20191104_082057.thumb.jpg.507fba4ba1c84a4ad07f83a1be141a58.jpg

20191104_120957.thumb.jpg.bd8ba8f1598ab0d10343098802d2db1f.jpg

20191104_123329.thumb.jpg.d6e2fed72d8a58b7338624823aa46341.jpg

• Like 2

People are reporting that they're being limited to the wines that are open on each night in the restaurant.

I had such trouble in the first few days trying to have the wine that I would like on any given evening that I eventually gave up and have been limited to the white - Silverado - and the red - Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which was an ordeal to get originally, to the point where the sommelier has ensured that it's in plentiful supply for me.

He has come to me at times throughout our time onboard to ask how everything is but the language barrier is such that I have not managed to get it across that I really should be able to have wine by the glass of my choosing. 🙄

Conversely, the Speciality Restaurant sommelier has been wonderful and we've even enjoyed wines not on the SR menus.

I have just spent way more time on CC than I expected to spend today.  Your review had me following your adventures from the 18th.  If you would be so kind to answer this question...has any information been given to you as to what to expect on Ocean Cay?  Is there going to be a special section for YC members?  If so, will there be transportation to this area?  Should YC members pre-book umbrellas and rafts or will they be available to us?  Is the crew excited to visit OC and is there much discussion onboard?  As you know, many of us are way, way anxious to have these and dozens of other questions answered about Ocean Cay.  Patience is not one of my stronger suits.  Any info you might provide to fill in the blanks would be greatly appreciated.    

The only mention so far from anyone has been from our waiter who has told us that he's hoping to be one of the six who'll work ashore as he wants to look after us there!

I haven't heard any of the passengers mention it at all!  🙄

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The captain has just announced that Ocean Caye has been replaced with Ocho Rios for "operational" reasons.  We're being given $100 OBC per cabin and a 20% discount off a future cruise

Oh noooooo. Not good. So many people looking forward to this date. FB cruisers were so excited😞😞😞😞😞

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The captain has just announced that Ocean Caye has been replaced with Ocho Rios for "operational" reasons.  We're being given $100 OBC per cabin and a 20% discount off a future cruise

That's a real shame, Bea. 

I feel a 20% future cruise discount is significant in gesture (and personally I'd be 'happy' with that) but appreciate there will be widespread disappointment with this change. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That sounds to me an incredible win....the Caribbean is awash with such islands, and I never understood the fuss across the various threads on Ocean Cay! 

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

That sounds to me an incredible win....the Caribbean is awash with such islands, and I never understood the fuss across the various threads on Ocean Cay! 

Not usually given that much OBC or FCC for a missed port which is what this is. MSC know they have dropped the ball on this and there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. 2 years now behind schedule and still they cant get it open on the new date??! 😏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

People are reporting that they're being limited to the wines that are open on each night in the restaurant.

I had such trouble in the first few days trying to have the wine that I would like on any given evening that I eventually gave up and have been limited to the white - Silverado - and the red - Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which was an ordeal to get originally, to the point where the sommelier has ensured that it's in plentiful supply for me.

He has come to me at times throughout our time onboard to ask how everything is but the language barrier is such that I have not managed to get it across that I really should be able to have wine by the glass of my choosing. 🙄

Conversely, the Speciality Restaurant sommelier has been wonderful and we've even enjoyed wines not on the SR menus.

If I want a glass of Pinot Grigio do I get that or if for example a bottle of Chardonnay was already opened would they try to serve me that? 

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I have to say I feel the same way.  I'm not into "beach days".

I think that some will be disappointed that they won't be the first to visit.  I was prepared for the announcement and had an idea what it was going to be just as the capt began.

Nashna ... you also asked me to get info on something else.  I spotted it again yesterday and thought I'd taken a note of it, but I hadn't. 

• Like 1

This is Captain's night,  too.  He was to attend TSL about 10 minutes after the announcement.  I've given the cocktail night a miss and headed straight for the theatre for Way.  Even the concierge said to me on the way out that our drinks package includes better drinks than what's being served at the 'party' 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

If I want a glass of Pinot Grigio do I get that or if for example a bottle of Chardonnay was already opened would they try to serve me that? 

They'll try to keep you to whatever's opened on the night.  I don't know what's on offer as I'm not drinking them.  There are 2 reds and 2 whites and at least one rose

58 minutes ago, Nashna said:

So glad to hear that you are accepting the change of venue so well.  Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful and you enjoy the shipboard credit as well as the 20 percent discount.  

The OBC is very welcome but we already have 2 cruises booked for next year and we won't be able to use the discount on either of them.  If we cancel and rebook we lose our deposit 🙄