Chile declares state of emergency amid growing riots in Santiago

SVBing

It should not be a big problem for cruisers. it is just riots against government (about prices), so very local stuff, not much political (e.g. against communist or liberalism, which tend to target also citizen of the "enemy" countries).

On the other hand, you cannot use the metro, which is very handy to go from one place to an other in Santiago, and possibly there are restriction to be near the presidential palace, but this are also not so seldom.

From what I get, Hong Kong and Barcelona (and Ecuador) has much worse situation [mostly because the larger crowd].

I would feel save: the tourists seems not to be the target. Just avoid riots and were there are too much people. The victims seems to be "incidents": never directly attacked, just on wrong place (on a building in fire).

Chilean have good hospitality, just avoid to speak about Pinochet if you are not well informed on arguments both side (else you can get good discussions, just don't be the dumb person which argue facts without knowing them, just because you read one paragraph on history books).

Maybe avoid Santiago, and go to nearby wine regions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cirdan said:

It should not be a big problem for cruisers. it is just riots against government (about prices), so very local stuff, not much political (e.g. against communist or liberalism, which tend to target also citizen of the "enemy" countries).

On the other hand, you cannot use the metro, which is very handy to go from one place to an other in Santiago, and possibly there are restriction to be near the presidential palace, but this are also not so seldom.

From what I get, Hong Kong and Barcelona (and Ecuador) has much worse situation [mostly because the larger crowd].

I would feel save: the tourists seems not to be the target. Just avoid riots and were there are too much people. The victims seems to be "incidents": never directly attacked, just on wrong place (on a building in fire).

Chilean have good hospitality, just avoid to speak about Pinochet if you are not well informed on arguments both side (else you can get good discussions, just don't be the dumb person which argue facts without knowing them, just because you read one paragraph on history books).

Easy for you to say but it is a wee bit unsettling for those of us going there in the near future.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Easy for you to say but it is a wee bit unsettling for those of us going there in the near future.  

If you’re doing an excursion there you might want it to be a ship excursion vice private. If anymore unrest it’s possible you’ll have an itinerary adjustment. Safe sailing

It would be very difficult to create an itinerary adjustment -- that is the disembarkation port for the OP's cruise, as well as the embarkation port for the following cruise.  Assuming that the airport is open and the unrest is confined to the city, flight arrivals and departures would be unaffected, but those coming in a day or two early, or those staying a day or two after the cruise might find that their hotels plans would be disrupted.  Those would be the biggest issues at this time.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think that in few days all will settle down (considering the reason of the riots). But it you are worried, consider the wine valleys (from Santiago to Sant'Antonio), and try to get transportation to port city early: an other thing Chileans seem to hate are the toll booths on highways (and as I have read, sometime Chilean block them, if they find service is unsatisfactory).

9 hours ago, Cirdan said:

It is a big problem for everyone. Do not take these things lightly. Apparent it is not just in Santiago. 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:06 PM, SVBing said:

First unrest across Equador, now Significant rioting in Santiago Chile..... on 10/20 16 day sailing of Eclipse..... LA/Santiago. Not good.... whatcha all hearing?

There is an airport issue for cruisers in that many flights have been delayed or cancelled because the flight crews are not able to get to the airport. For airlines, the solution might be as simple as using hotels at the airport instead of in the city.

We're on Eclipse starting January 5th but we also have a flight in November that has a layover in Santiago. Past two days, that flight has been delayed 18 hours and cancelled. We'll see how it looks tonight.

I'm checking alternative itineraries to get us to where we want to go - just in case.

20 hours ago, RomanyUY said:

There is an airport issue for cruisers in that many flights have been delayed or cancelled because the flight crews are not able to get to the airport. For airlines, the solution might be as simple as using hotels at the airport instead of in the city.

We're on Eclipse starting January 5th but we also have a flight in November that has a layover in Santiago. Past two days, that flight has been delayed 18 hours and cancelled. We'll see how it looks tonight.

I'm checking alternative itineraries to get us to where we want to go - just in case.

Checking my cruise insurance contract for Civil Unrest.

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Checking my cruise insurance contract for Civil Unrest.

Celebrity Cruise Ticket Contract:
Looks like they are not obligated to give you anything unless the issue is caused by mechanical breakdown.
They can even leave you stranded in a port of call you didn't even expect to be in. This is why you get travel insurance.

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b) In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

c) By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability; (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

d) Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:
i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;
ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier .
iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel?s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger?s home city; and
iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

2 hours ago, RomanyUY said:

On the good news front - our flight routes for the New Zealand trip next month are back to normal. I consider that an indication of the country calming down for the most part. It's a beautiful country with good people.

What was the issue with New Zealand?

21 hours ago, RomanyUY said:

Celebrity Cruise Ticket Contract:
Looks like they are not obligated to give you anything unless the issue is caused by mechanical breakdown.
They can even leave you stranded in a port of call you didn't even expect to be in. This is why you get travel insurance.

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b) In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

c) By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability; (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

d) Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:
i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;
ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier .
iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel?s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger?s home city; and
iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

Yes thanks.  But I meant my private travel insurance that I purchased for this trip.  Covered for Terrorist Attacks but that definition excludes Riots and Civil Unrest.

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes thanks.  But I meant my private travel insurance that I purchased for this trip.  Covered for Terrorist Attacks but that definition excludes Riots and Civil Unrest.

I wonder how they define a terrorist attack?  We were on a cruise to Melbourne on Solstice I believe. The captain announced that there was a terrorist attack there the day before.  Our shore excursion was cancelled and we had to rebook.  The US news called it a terrorist attack and the Aussie news did not.

We we’re visiting the city on our excursion that was cancelled in a tall tower building.  Instead we saw the 12 Apostles.

I wonder if we would have had a claim if we had filed?

Edited by NMTraveller

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just pointing out that Celebrity covers very little. Everybody's travel insurance is different but you are right that even travel insurance does not give much help for civil unrest.

Right now, the biggest issue seems to be flight delays and cancellations getting to Santiago.

The second issue is "what if" someone can't get from their hotel down to the port on the day of embarkation. I don't know how many people are staying in San Antonio vs Santiago.

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I wonder how they define a terrorist attack?  We were on a cruise to Melbourne on Solstice I believe. The captain announced that there was a terrorist attack there the day before.  Our shore excursion was cancelled and we had to rebook.  The US news called it a terrorist attack and the Aussie news did not.

Shore excursions are cancelled for any number of reasons and, while disappointing, it's relatively minor compared to missing the entire cruise due to civil unrest. I can't imagine going through hell to get to the embarkation city and not being able to find transportation down to the port.

2 minutes ago, RomanyUY said:

Shore excursions are cancelled for any number of reasons and, while disappointing, it's relatively minor compared to missing the entire cruise due to civil unrest. I can't imagine going through hell to get to the embarkation city and not being able to find transportation down to the port.

We will monitor the situation closely until we depart in early January.  We possibly would switch our hotel to San Antonio instead of Santiago and go there directly from the airport if necessary.

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We will monitor the situation closely until we depart in early January.  We possibly would switch our hotel to San Antonio instead of Santiago and go there directly from the airport if necessary.

Exactly. Get those contingency plans scoped out.

Nearest airport to Santiago is Mendoza, Argentina. You can get there from Buenos Aires and there are private and public transportation options over the Andes to the Santiago area. That's contingency planning in the extreme.

From what I'm seeing, the only way to fly to Puerto Montt is through Santiago. Punta Arenas is having some unrest as well.