Packing

denmarks

I am going on a cruise in December and am having trouble deciding the combination of suitcases and bags.

Ā 

I am taking one large suitcase for sure. I have always taken a second one that was more messenger bag or backpack size. I just won a nice duffel bag from TripAdvisor and am now thinking of using it as the second bag. I am traveling by car. The large bag will be checked at the port and the duffel carried on. How would you distribute items between the bags? I am a single male.

Edited by denmarks
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I am going on a cruise in December and am having trouble deciding the combination of suitcases and bags.

Ā 

I am taking one large suitcase for sure. I have always taken a second one that was more messenger bag or backpack size. I just won a nice duffel bag from TripAdvisor and am now thinking of using it as the second bag. I am traveling by car. The large bag will be checked at the port and the duffel carried on. How would you distribute items between the bags? I am a single male.

Valuables (including meds andĀ tech equipment), travel documents and a change of clothing (purposedĀ differently from whatever you're wearing uponĀ embarkation) are the minimum "essential" items in your "carry-on."

• Like 2

Personally, if checking and carrying on I don't put much in my carry on. Pretty much everything goes in my checked baggage. I may pack an extra change of clothes (in case the checked bag doesn't show up before dinner), electronics, paperwork, wallet and maybe a few other items I can't afford afford to lose, in a carry-on. That's about it.

Ā 

Last few trips for me were only 7-10 days in hot weather, so I only had a carry-on.Ā 

Ā 

Have a good cruise.

• Like 1

We travel with carry-on-sized bags pretty much always, but we do turn them over to the porters at the port. I carry what @Flatbush FlyerĀ said in my daypack, except only a change of 'smalls' not a full change of clothes. Also not swimsuits, because that is not a big draw for us. Dr'spin carries only his electronics, and we both carry our toiletries along with daily-med sorters.

Ā 

Because there are two of us, I cross-pack at least one outfit in each other's bag. As a solo I can see having a full change of clothes in the bag you keep with you.Ā 

Ā 

We have never not gotten our port-checked bags promptly, usually before muster.

• Like 1

TRAVEL DOCS (paperwork and ID) in your carry on.

Ā 

After that, up to you.Ā Ā 

Ā 

As others, I do carry electronics and meds.Ā  And swim suit if it will be warm enough on embarkation.

Ā 

I do not carry a change of clothes, as I am comfortable in wearing what I wear on board to dinner.

I'm a single female so slightly different šŸ˜‰Ā My carry-on in January for a Bahamas cruise was:Ā 

Ā 

• Wallet
  • Passport
  • Sunglasses
  • iPhone
  • AirPods
  • Charging cable
  • USB wall charger
  • Paperback book
  • Medications (in tablet/capsule form)
  • Compact
  • Lip Gloss
  • Folder with Cruise Documents
  • Keys
  • Bikini
  • Cover Up
  • Flip Flops

Ā 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, denmarks said:

Ā 

You are a male. By that absolute description you only require one case. Medium is probably suffice.

Ā 

Glad I could help.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm a single female so slightly different šŸ˜‰Ā My carry-on in January for a Bahamas cruise was:Ā 

Ā 

• Wallet
  • Passport
  • Sunglasses
  • iPhone
  • AirPods
  • Charging cable
  • USB wall charger
  • Paperback book
  • Medications (in tablet/capsule form)
  • Compact
  • Lip Gloss
  • Folder with Cruise Documents
  • Keys
  • Bikini
  • Cover Up
  • Flip Flops

Ā 

Ā 

Not an electronic book????

Ā 

I switched many years ago.Ā  I prefer real books, but for travel, electronic is so convenient.

Ā 

I also read fairly quickly, so need to have a number of books with me, so electronic is SO MUCH better.

Ā 

And other than the lip gloss, compact, and bikini, my carry on list is similar.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I work in the VA-DC area. šŸ™‚

Ā 

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

@SRFĀ I have tried Kindle, my phone, and some other e-reader. I just can't. I have been an avid reader most of my life. I love the feel of turning pages. I keep one in my carry on and a few more in my checked bag šŸ™‚Ā I used to live closer to a used book store (Manassas) and miss it. Now when I'm done I donate to the library.

Ā 

I've been in the area since 2000. Quick detour inĀ Richmond from 05 - 08.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

Of course ā€œessentialsā€ should be in your carry onā€” but you want a tight definition of ā€œessentialsā€. Ā If you board early, you could have several hours to kill before your cabin is available ā€”- you do not want to be hauling around a heavy bag, making exploring the ship very difficult. Ā Ā 

Ā 

I have actually seen some ā€œcarry on onlyā€ fanatics trundling two roller bags plus something else - through the lido trying to carry lunch as they seek a free table.

21 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@SRFĀ I have tried Kindle, my phone, and some other e-reader. I just can't. I have been an avid reader most of my life. I love the feel of turning pages. I keep one in my carry on and a few more in my checked bag šŸ™‚Ā I used to live closer to a used book store (Manassas) and miss it. Now when I'm done I donate to the library.

Ā 

Ā 

What caused me to switch was 2+ week international trips.

Ā 

I would have to carry 8 - 12 books.Ā  And then, sometimes I would finish a series, and would want to read a different book or series than I brought with me.

Ā 

I carry about 2000 books on my reader. šŸ™‚Ā  So seldom find myself at a loss.

Ā 

I am slowly donating all the books that I have both paper and electronic to Goodwill.Ā  Those that are not available in electronic, I am keeping.

Ā 

Where in the area are you?Ā  I live a ways out in MD, but work in Rosslyn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Ā 

I am slowly donating all the books that I have both paper and electronic to Goodwill.Ā  Those that are not available in electronic, I am keeping.

Ā 

Ā 

After getting used to the first Kindle, we donated a ton of paper books to our local library. Ā We kept an old Where's Waldo. Ā Just couldn't part with that classic. Ā Lol. Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, JennyB1977 said:

Ā 

Ā 

McKay's ???Ā  We love that place!! ā€¦ we buy books by the dozens to take on our trips.Ā  We leave them behind when we're done.

• Like 1

There used to a HUGE used book store on Route 11 down south of Staunton.Ā  I ended up on Rt 11, and happened to see it.Ā  An AMAZING place.

Ā 

I still buy books, mainly older, less popular ones, that are not available in electronic format.

Ā 

Ā 

I have a medium suitcase and i always carry my backpack. My bf has his suitcase and a duffle bag thing.

Ā 

My backpack has my meds, contacts and contact stuff, cpl things of makeup (mascara and my fav shadow pallet), a swim suit, and one change of clothes. And wine.