Staying on Board in Port Canaveral

heatherRN53

My husband and I are leaving this weekend from New York City on our first cruise on Norweigan Escape. Our first port is Port Canaveral, arriving at 1pm and departing at 9pm. We are not into Space, and not enough time for Disney parks, and too far from any major mall worth going to. We are actually considering spending it on the ship and enjoying a less crowded pool day. We go from PC to Stirrup Cay Bahamas, then Nassau, then two sea-days back into the cold, so it would appear our only true warm weather days will be our 3 port days. All that said, what will be opened and closed typically if we choose to stay on-board? Im sorry for the newbie question, but we are trying to make a plan that feels right. 

1 hour ago, heatherRN53 said:

My husband and I are leaving this weekend from New York City on our first cruise on Norweigan Escape. Our first port is Port Canaveral, arriving at 1pm and departing at 9pm. We are not into Space, and not enough time for Disney parks, and too far from any major mall worth going to. We are actually considering spending it on the ship and enjoying a less crowded pool day. We go from PC to Stirrup Cay Bahamas, then Nassau, then two sea-days back into the cold, so it would appear our only true warm weather days will be our 3 port days. All that said, what will be opened and closed typically if we choose to stay on-board? Im sorry for the newbie question, but we are trying to make a plan that feels right. 

Questions are perfectly fine.  

Please check out my life post from April on the link below where we were on the Escape on the same itinerary. There are daily programs and you can check out what was going on each port day. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Great day to have a spa treatment. Usually there will be discounted procedures as it is a port day.  Relax by the pool, enjoy quiet time, make use of your beverage package.   Really you don't need to worry about staying on the ship. The Main Dining room will be closed for lunch, but the buffets will be open.  Have a great cruise.

I'm on this same cruise and used to live in FL so have "been there..done that" with just about everything Pt Canaveral and Orlando...You will have plenty to do onboard...and just enjoy the peace and quiet!

I was going to stay on board also but just changed my mind and booked the excursion to the Orlando eye, wax museum and aquarium...About the only 3 things I haven't done..and sounds like a relaxing day also.

Happy Packing!!😁

We went to Jetty Park and the Exploration Tower when we stopped there. It is right near the port. We really enjoyed it. We spent around 3 hours and thought it was very interesting and nobody was there. Highly recommend it!

• Like 1

Last time in Port Canaveral we went out to Christmas and to an air boat ride! It was awesome, great bird sightings and some huge crocs.
if you enjoy wildlife then this is so worth it (only 30 miles from the port).

Highly recommend,

Easily find 1/3 (or more) of the ship's (seasoned) frequent cruisers staying onboard - last 2 or 3 times during the "short" day stopover, we counted just a handful of buses leaving after 1:30 - 2 p.m. for Shorex ... returning later, some rather early, almost all of them back by 8 p.m.   

O'Sheehan's should be open for regular services all day/afternoon.  Go stake out those oversized sofa in the shades on the Waterfront.  One deck above the buffet/Garden Cafe is Margaritaville - shaded too ... bring a book, eReader, iPad, earbuds for music ... coffee/tea & flavored water (free, of course) are nearby.  DW would send me down one floor to fetch some fruits & snacks.  

Good, solid VZW, AT&T and T-Mobile cellular signals from nearby land towers - no "usable" free WiFi, however, for Canadian plans from the ship's balcony (if you are "roaming") if you choose to get "connected".  

Spice H2O, adults only during the day - should be open ... just check the current Freestyle Daily distributed the night before.  Enjoy ! 

5 hours ago, heatherRN53 said:

What will be open?

The pools and the spa. The buffet and O'Sheens and a couple fo bars. The entertainment staff will have a very few activities. Pretty much the ship is quiet and you can get a spot near the pool if that is your choice.

3 hours ago, three acts said:

I'm on this same cruise and used to live in FL so have "been there..done that" with just about everything Pt Canaveral and Orlando...You will have plenty to do onboard...and just enjoy the peace and quiet!

I was going to stay on board also but just changed my mind and booked the excursion to the Orlando eye, wax museum and aquarium...About the only 3 things I haven't done..and sounds like a relaxing day also.

Happy Packing!!😁

I’m thinking of doing that one too.  Seems silly enough to do as a solo, 

Most things will be open; and you'll find some good deals in the spa.  Fortunately it's not super cold up here this week; when we've done this cruise in December it's usually a good day and a half before we get to warmth.   You'll hit good weather within a day--if even that long.

18 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We took the shuttle to Cocoa Beach(with the $50 shore ex credit it was free). We shopped a little

at Ron Jon's and had lunch at the Landshark Grill. 

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Cocoa Beach Pier for lunch, drinks and shopping. You could do Uber or Lyft its only about a 15-20 minute drive to the pier.

• Like 1