Brittania refit

Narrow boat girl

I've heard mention elsewhere that they have put canopies over some of the aft cabins/suites but can't find any confirmation of that. It has been suggested it might be either to help with a soot problem or to stop the cabins being overlooked from above. Does anyone know about this?

I am waiting for a reply from my T A about this. I booked an aft facing cabin on A deck as it was large and part shade, part sun. Now I am not sure if I will get and sun at all. 

4 hours ago, AJ22 said:

I've heard mention elsewhere that they have put canopies over some of the aft cabins/suites but can't find any confirmation of that. It has been suggested it might be either to help with a soot problem or to stop the cabins being overlooked from above. Does anyone know about this?

received_2533822760041119.jpeg

received_804751526649135.jpeg

Thank you. That is extremely helpful! It actually suits us, as we'd prefer not to be overlooked, and it could be helpful to have more shade in the Caribbean. 

Edited by AJ22
Typo

21 minutes ago, caber said:

I am waiting for a reply from my T A about this. I booked an aft facing cabin on A deck as it was large and part shade, part sun. Now I am not sure if I will get and sun at all. 

received_2533822760041119.jpeg

received_804751526649135.jpeg

Hello,

I've just booked an aft corner suite on B deck for Sept 2021 as we've had it before & loved it.

Looking at this photo I'm now not so sure we've done the right thing.  I love the sun & am worried that we're not going to get any now.  Never knew this was on the cards.

Can anyone confirm that the canopy covers the B deck suites as well & what the impact is on the sun?

Thank you.

Joan

2 hours ago, Big Foot said:

Hello,

I've just booked an aft corner suite on B deck for Sept 2021 as we've had it before & loved it.

Looking at this photo I'm now not so sure we've done the right thing.  I love the sun & am worried that we're not going to get any now.  Never knew this was on the cards.

Can anyone confirm that the canopy covers the B deck suites as well & what the impact is on the sun?

Thank you.

Joan

Looking at the photos the canopy covers A and B decks. Suits us fine we have an aft corner suite along with the adjacent cabin booked for Sept. Much better in my opinion, you will still get the sun and also be able to sit out if the weather is not so good, no longer overlooked from above and hopefully put an end to the soot problem.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:15 PM, Les_ldh said:

I wonder how easy those canopies will be to clean when all the soot lands on them 🤔

I certainly hope they will be cleaned regularly. We had a bad experience looking down on a very dirty lifeboat top. It had dead insects and all sorts. They didn't clean it until we'll into the cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...

My issue is that they have added these canopies without informing people who have already booked cruises. Even if you think the canopies are an improvement which In my opinion they aren’t, but everyone has different requirements. It’s the fact that I have booked 2 cruises in both 2020 and 2021 on these 2 decks and I’ve only been informed of these changes  via a very presumptuous email this morning. I made my bookings having used these rooms before and with no warning of these changes and now P&O have my money they assume and I quote that I will find their cabin enhancement to my satisfaction. 

A very good point, I wonder how easy these are to clean from both salt, soot and seagulls

i can see why someone thought that something needed doing as the aft corners were quite overlooked, but agree this used to be pretty clearly shown on deck plans

Sorry to ask again - which cabins have these canopies ?

Is it A and B deck in the photos? They are HUGE and very ugly

Would not be happy with those at all.

Would prefer the soot ….

Edited by Presto2

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Would prefer the soot ….

Yes all of A & B deck, we are very happy with them, we have the corner suite starboard side on A deck along with the cabin next door........fabulous!! 😁

7 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Yes all of A & B deck, we are very happy with them, we have the corner suite starboard side on A deck along with the cabin next door........fabulous!! 😁

Can you please let us know if the canopy impacts on the amount of sun you get on the balcony?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Big Foot said:

Can you please let us know if the canopy impacts on the amount of sun you get on the balcony?

Thanks 

Certainly will, we are not on her until Setpember but I'm sure someone will comment before then. We still prefer to have the canopies rather than being gawped at from above, much more private than they used to be. Personally I don't think it will have much impact on the sun you can always sit further forward or on the corner bit....just my opinion..

Edited by Rupert2251

4 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Certainly will, we are not on her until Setpember but I'm sure someone will comment before then. We still prefer to have the canopies rather than being gawped at from above, much more private than they used to be. Personally I don't think it will have much impact on the sun you can always sit further forward or on the corner bit....just my opinion..

Brilliant; thank you. I clearly misinterpreted your post, when you said you were very happy with them, as I thought you were currently on or had been on Britannia since the refit.

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Would prefer the soot ….

I am of the same mind opinion as you, id prefer the soot and being overlooked. We have been in the corner suite on a Deck before, soot was minimal and pretty much everyone above had the decency not to look over. I saw being overlooked as a small price to pay for the experience of that huge wide open space to ourselves. 

I think it’s a massive shame 

16 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

We never experienced being gawped at whilst in the corner suite on our previous trip, the majority of people have the decency not to do it, in the same way people don’t tend to stare when you sunbathe on the open decks. 

Im sure there are many people who will see the addition of the canopies as a positive as you do because everyone has different preferences. My biggest issue is that I haven’t been able to make an informed choice when booking. That is where I think p&o have let us down massively. And I’m sure I’m not the only one who will feel that way 

13 minutes ago, Big Foot said:

Brilliant; thank you. I clearly misinterpreted your post, when you said you were very happy with them, as I thought you were currently on or had been on Britannia since the refit.

3 hours ago, Big Foot said:

Thanks 

From everything I’ve seen since I posted about the email I’ve received yesterday I honestly can’t see how it will not impact the amount of sun, yes the canopy is glass but if you’ve been on any kind of balcony before and had the shade of the glass of the balcony come over you as the sun sets, then I imagine this will be similar and to me that isn’t full sun. 

I just think this situation has been handled appallingly by p&o