Interesting article on Italian food

shipgeeks

There is a recent article from Insider, "7 'Italian' Foods Americans Eat That You Typically Won't Find in Italy".

It could be useful for anyone sailing on MSC for the first time, or going to Italy.  In fact, some of the poor reviews I've read here indicate to me that people expect everything to be exactly like other cruiselines.

If anyone has the tech expertise to provide a link, please do so.

Yes, I agree that is exactly the reason for some of the bad reviews for MSC.  Some people do not realize that they are actually enjoying the food of Naples and not the Olive Garden/Pizza Hut junk they think represents any region of food in Italy. 

• Like 5

I just googled the title:  https://www.insider.com/american-foods-italians-dont-eat-2018-10

Having lived in Italy for 5 years I would say it is accurate.  We are really looking forward to the meals on our first MSC cruise in January.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

OK 

found the article

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/7-italian-foods-americans-eat-that-you-typically-wont-find-in-italy/ss-AAIZaRG?li=BBnb7Kw#image=7

I can say Americans who haven't traveled extensively in the Med or lived in Italy have ideas about Italian food, portions, pizza, etc that are based on Americanized dining.

One thing that is wrong/incomplete is the pizza/slice thing.

You can get one slice "to go" from places and the pizzas,  focaccia etc in those places are often made in huge rectangular pans. You get the piece on a piece of paper and stuffed into a little bag. We'd also get them as tiny pizza "rounds" no more than 4" across. Our children would have them for "merenda" in school (snack) It is very typical. These places are take-out per piece only. No dining in... 

Pizzas are never heavily topped like in the US. Also it is typical to eat them with a fork and knife. 

Someone posted about pizza with an egg on it. YES it is done and is delicious.... In winter one of our fav places had a pizza with a spicy sausage and an egg on top. It was divine.

And its not a "breakfast thing" though I suppose MSC was feeling clever to introduce it to Americans that way

They also don't do bread with a pasta meal.

In traditional areas (not tourist traps) during summer the pizza ovens are on at night only (not lunch) because of the heat. 

True that Italians don't typically do cheese with seafood. Our Italian friends think it heresy that we put grilled shrimp or scampi shrimp (or prawns) on top of our genovese pesto (trofie). It would be eaten separately in Liguria. 

Also - they don't drink lattes and cappucino after dinner...they believe the dairy is bad for digestion. Will you get it if you order it--sure. But an Italian won't order that

At the "bars" where you get coffee (unless you are a regular and they know you) You order at the register and prepay. Take that receipt to the barista who makes the espresso. You drink it standing at the bar--- and perhaps have a cornetto --- IF you sit at a table (outside with the "view" the prices will be higher.

Living there I had coffee every morning with other parents in a back room/small table/private. We'd go in, sit, have coffee and maybe a sandwich or cornetto... then pay on the way out BUT we were known to the owners

Liquor isn't consumed (cocktails) before dinner as they believe it ruins the palate.  

I have never seen a frozen drink/pina colada etc in Italy though I suspect resorts in the last 10 yrs that have heavy American cliental may do them now perhaps

• Like 1

I agree that people should be open to other cultures when they choose to go there or sail on a foreign cruise line.  But they should also be allowed to prefer what they prefer.  DW and I are very adventuresome eaters, but we were disappointed when we went to the 'best' pizza place in Naples.  Even though our pie was freshly made, it wasn't very good.  Naples may have invented pizza, but New York perfected it.  So, not all 'genuine' Italian food is better than the American adaptations. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, I agree that is exactly the reason for some of the bad reviews for MSC.  Some people do not realize that they are actually enjoying the food of Naples and not the Olive Garden/Pizza Hut junk they think represents any region of food in Italy. 

Not to nitpick. However, how can some people not realize that they are actually enjoying the food of Naples if they don't like MSC food,  presentation, quality, preparation, etc? We cruise MSC 2x a year. We think MSC food is OK, but it is very low compared to Celebrity, HAL, NCL, RCI and Princess. 

We don't cruise for food because all cruise lines have cut back in food. They are all going to Speciality Restaurants. 

Been CRUISING MSC since 2006.

Cruised MSC in Europe and Caribbean. JMHO!

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

Not to nitpick. However, how can some people not realize that they are actually enjoying the food of Naples if they don't like MSC food,  presentation, quality, preparation, etc? We cruise MSC 2x a year. We think MSC food is OK, but it is very low compared to Celebrity, HAL, NCL, RCI and Princess. 

We don't cruise for food because all cruise lines have cut back in food. They are all going to Speciality Restaurants. 

Been CRUISING MSC since 2006.

Cruised MSC in Europe and Caribbean. JMHO!

Food is something that is important to us on any cruise we take.

No, they are not all going to specialty restaurants. Only in certain marketing tiers have the passengers been convinced that so-so  food in the dining room is the norm (think Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival) and that they have to pay extra for  good food.

Travel is an experience where one can learn about different customs. Unfortunately, there are many who leave their tiny niche of the world and are unable to adjust that everything is not like home.

Yes, MSC food may be different, but then again it is obvious from many of the threads on this forum that some can not accept that MSC can be different from "home" (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL). This is perhaps a marketing mistake on MSC's part where they seemed to have targeted the customer base of those lines and are finding that many of the new cruisers just aren't able to accept that they are not on Carnival et al.

It is interesting that you mention the food on HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.  We also cruise on those three lines and they are also different in the food choices and presentation that the lower entry level cruise lines.

Yes, they do have some crossovers of the food offered. But how often do we have threads on those boards where someone posts they don't like the food on those lines because they couldn't find good "plain" food (i.e.; a big hunk of meat with a potato)?  That the menu in the MDR had weird ingredients that they never heard of and had to have explained to they?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Food is something that is important to us on any cruise we take.

No, they are not all going to specialty restaurants. Only in certain marketing tiers have the passengers been convinced that so-so  food in the dining room is the norm (think Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival) and that they have to pay extra for  good food.

Travel is an experience where one can learn about different customs. Unfortunately, there are many who leave their tiny niche of the world and are unable to adjust that everything is not like home.

Yes, MSC food may be different, but then again it is obvious from many of the threads on this forum that some can not accept that MSC can be different from "home" (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL). This is perhaps a marketing mistake on MSC's part where they seemed to have targeted the customer base of those lines and are finding that many of the new cruisers just aren't able to accept that they are not on Carnival et al.

It is interesting that you mention the food on HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.  We also cruise on those three lines and they are also different in the food choices and presentation that the lower entry level cruise lines.

Yes, they do have some crossovers of the food offered. But how often do we have threads on those boards where someone posts they don't like the food on those lines because they couldn't find good "plain" food (i.e.; a big hunk of meat with a potato)?  That the menu in the MDR had weird ingredients that they never heard of and had to have explained to they?

Enjoyed reading your reply. 

What cruise line do you think has your best food served on?

Food is very subjective. 

Normally people find their one favorite cruise line and stick with that one for various reasons. 

We cruise many each year. This year we cruised Princess, MSC and RCI, 4 different ships. We normally buy the Dining Packages. On MSC we get the 3 meal since we get 1 free Diamond meal. On RCI we get the Unlimited Dining Package,  7 nites with sea day lunches.

We have been cruising since 1986 and have over 100 cruises. We have seen big changes in food selection, quality and servings. 

There is no one person who likes every meal that could be served regardless of cruise line. 

Opinions are opinions and expressions of that person experiences. Thus, we respect others opinions. 

Happy Cruising!

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Unless people get out of their own backyard and try something different they will only ever believe that their way is the best.

So true! Many people will never try something different based on name of item or looks. 

See that all the time. Both adults and children. 

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Enjoyed reading your reply. 

What cruise line do you think has your best food served on?

Food is very subjective. 

Normally people find their one favorite cruise line and stick with that one for various reasons. 

We have tried a number of cruise lines and there are a few where the food quality is so poor that we will not cruise them again (Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean after the targeted market demographics changed in the late nineties, early 2000s).

We have enjoyed the food on Chandris /Celebrity), Sitmar /Princess, and HAL and several other lines that just don't exist any more.  Azamara and Viking Ocean  are superb (but you do pay a fare that supports that excellence).

Going back to MSC, I do enjoy the food on the line because I did grow up with immigrant grandparents from Naples and their children's ability to cook with recipes from that region.

LOL- I did recently travel to Tuscany and the food was different than what I was used to and there was that small moment of adjustment to that regional style. However, I did not embarrass myself like another American who was loudly complaining about the "bad" food  and lack of garlic bread, meatballs with pasta or the leisurely pace of service that allowed one to enjoy the meal and one's dining companions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

We have tried a number of cruise lines and there are a few where the food quality is so poor that we will not cruise them again (Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean after the targeted market demographics changed in the late nineties, early 2000s).

We have enjoyed the food on Chandris /Celebrity), Sitmar /Princess, and HAL and several other lines that just don't exist any more.  Azamara and Viking Ocean  are superb (but you do pay a fare that supports that excellence).

Going back to MSC, I do enjoy the food on the line because I did grow up with immigrant grandparents from Naples and their children's ability to cook with recipes from that region.

LOL- I did recently travel to Tuscany and the food was different than what I was used to and there was that small moment of adjustment to that regional style. However, I did not embarrass myself like another American who was loudly complaining about the "bad" food  and lack of garlic bread, meatballs with pasta or the leisurely pace of service that allowed one to enjoy the meal and one's dining companions.

Again, food is very subjective. We didn't cruise NCL for years then when the Escape came out we tried NCL. Were very surprised at the food in the MDR and SRs. We thought it was very good. RCI Chops and Wonderland are very good. 

Never done Carnival.

Enjoy your cruises and enjoy the food. Thanks for your reply.

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree that people should be open to other cultures when they choose to go there or sail on a foreign cruise line.  But they should also be allowed to prefer what they prefer.  DW and I are very adventuresome eaters, but we were disappointed when we went to the 'best' pizza place in Naples.  Even though our pie was freshly made, it wasn't very good.  Naples may have invented pizza, but New York perfected it.  So, not all 'genuine' Italian food is better than the American adaptations. 

Disagree while I grew up on nyc pizza and visit every year and always have pizza a couple of times , pizza in Brandi in Naples was the best . Always liked msc and costa Italian food. 

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Unless people get out of their own backyard and try something different they will only ever believe that their way is the best.

The same is true with cruise lines. 

Look at how many "...it was different, we prefer (Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Disney, etc.)...." comments in reviews. 

I don't want all cruise lines to be identical. Yes, there are some aspects that I prefer from one line to the next but I'd never want all aspects of cruising to be the same. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only