South Pacific in April. Opinions?

DT1304

I am considering one of 2 options for a South Pacific cruise in April 2020.

Have only ever been there over December time so wanted other peoples opinions on the weather, the seas etc.

Trying to decide between 2 cruises so would like others opinions too.

9 night Ovation to S Pacific and Brisbane, or 10 night Voyager to S Pacific.

Have been to all the ports on both cruises and would prefer to return to the ports on Voyager so thats pushing me towards that option.

Have never cruised on Ovation before but have cruised on Explorer (Voyager class) twice before (although pre Voyager upgrade) so that is pushing me towards Ovation.

But....

Voyager cruise works out to $235 per person per night and Ovation is $189 per person per night.

I am also already booked on Ovation in December 2020 for Christmas and New Years cruise so will get to experience that ship then.

First world problems!!!!

I would be leaning towards Voyager in the South Pacific - there would be less people to get on and off at the tender ports and getting around the smaller islands.  

Less chance of cyclones in April as it's not the real peak season.  There's school holidays and Easter too in April that you may want to consider (if you don't have kids)

Ovation is a different kettle of fish,there’s good and bad.

The biggest problem on Ovation is the mass of people.

It has more activities ,entertainment and dining if that you’re thing.

voyeger is good but once you have been on the bigger ship it feels like something is missing.

22 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

Have only ever been there over December time so wanted other peoples opinions on the weather, the seas etc.

In New Caledonia and southern Vanuatu the temps are OK but not hot. More like southeast Qld at that time of year. You will likely need something warm to wear if out at night. Cyclones are uncommon but not unknown that time of year. The ship I was on was chased away from Vila by a cyclone during May a couple of years ago. Seas generally are pretty much the same.

The water is warm enough to swim in, but only just.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The OP is from Melbourne so they will probably feel that the water is very warm. 😊

Correct. 🙂

I'd probably be good for swimming there in mid July!!!

Thanks for your answers everyone. I will be cruising with my wife and 13 year old daughter. (Leaving my 19 and 17 year old at home much to their dismay) so school holidays is when I need to go. Both cruises are over the school holidays and Easter.

I am definitely leaning more towards the Voyager cruise and the answers above about the crowds on the small islands is a very good point that I never thought of before. But my wife is leaning towards the Ovation because it is $2000 cheaper for the 3 of us.

9 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

But my wife is leaning towards the Ovation because it is $2000 cheaper for the 3 of us.

I would too.

Ovation is 4100 pax, Voyager is 3100 pax. I don't think that's enough difference to make up for $2000.

Besides, Ovation is newer and shinier. 😎

Just now, SinbadThePorter said:

Voyager wins on itinerary. Unless you like Brisbane in April? 🤨

Agreed. Noumea is on both and I've been there so many times I could easily stay on the ship there.

Mystery Island is on both but I really liked it there. I also would much rather go to Mare and Vila again than Brisbane, and Lifou I have also been to but this port is neither here nor there for me.

But is that itinerary worth the $2000. Thats the question.

Regarding queuing/tenders in Mystery Island, they'll be long on Ovation - though they're also long on Voyager class e.g. took me til 11:30 a.m. to get out there last time I went, and then a 1 hour line queueing across the island to get on a tender back.

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Regarding queuing/tenders in Mystery Island, they'll be long on Ovation - though they're also long on Voyager class e.g. took me til 11:30 a.m. to get out there last time I went, and then a 1 hour line queueing across the island to get on a tender back.

Whereas we didn’t have to wait very long for a tender on our last visit to Mystery Island or for the return tender trip when on the Voyager. 

Leigh