Explorer itinerary altered 10/31

I am definitely interested in this Explorer transatlantic -- despite the single port and shortened itinerary.  Anybody seen any information for folks like me who are looking for a last minute bargain crossing?

19 minutes ago, CynicDC said:

I am definitely interested in this Explorer transatlantic -- despite the single port and shortened itinerary.  Anybody seen any information for folks like me who are looking for a last minute bargain crossing?

I suspect some spaces will open up soon!!

im still going to travel. Thanking my lucky stars every hotel I have booked is refundable and changeable and have decided to make hay by extending my stay in Miami and taking my other half for his first trip to New York. 

When life gives you lemons....

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The weather problem is not in Southampton. It’s off the coast of Portugal. The ship was headed to SouthHampton but the problem is back in Portugal.

Other ships for example the Queen Victoria have just passed Explorer going in the direction it was supposed to be going without diverting as far as I've heard up to now?  

I'm not suggesting either Royal or Cunard are being unnecessarily cautious/careless but the inconsistency is hard for people to understand I admit.

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 17.11.16.png

Edited by NikC
  • Like 1

NikC, you are right. Whilst I'm not an expert with these sites, looking at the Cruise Ship tracker site there seem to be a number of cruise ships heading as scheduled to the UK (e.g 2x P&O, Cunard, Saga). There's something here which doesn't really make sense. All of which is hugely frustrating for me as I was booked on this cruise and have today cancelled and had to book separate transport arrangements to Miami.

• Like 1

Just now, Alemao92 said:

NikC, you are right. Whilst I'm not an expert with these sites, looking at the Cruise Ship tracker site there seem to be a number of cruise ships heading as scheduled to the UK (e.g 2x P&O, Cunard, Saga). There's something here which doesn't really make sense. All of which is hugely frustrating for me as I was booked on this cruise and have today cancelled and had to book separate transport arrangements to Miami.

Do you mind me asking what you booked instead and if Royal gave you a refund? 

My parents were booked on this cruise and are at a loss over what to do

Try googling Bay of biscay wave height, on Sunday I think they peek at 9metres and are 6metres + the other days, brittany ferries have so far cancelled the Portsmouth to santander on the 02/11 and the return on the 03/11. Having been across the bay in a force 9 years ago I don't think anybody would want to be sailing across there in those conditions 

Hello fellow cruisers, the latest from Royal Caribbean, we have been told that the Explorer won't be coming back to Southampton until 8th November, the reason being that a Hurricane is in the Atlantic heading to the sailing area of the Explorer, fair enough, I can understand their reason for a diversion but 2 P and O cruisers, 1 CRM, and 2 others cruisers are heading from the same area back to Southampton, I was due to sail on the 5th from Southampton to the Caribbean now I am to lose 3 days of my cruise, anyone else in this situation. And one other thing RCI are not losing any money it's us the cruisers, because of a shorter journey they will save by not going to the full itinerary, sure we have been told of compensation but I'd sooner be sailing on the 5th.

Edited by bob the dog

Mark - UK - RC gave a full cash refund of the drinks package, VOOM, trips etc and a credit for a future cruise for the base fare. I'm not overjoyed about the outcome as it ties us in to RC for another cruise as opposed to being able to choose a provider but this one no longer felt like a Caribbean cruise only having one stop in the region and spending less time in the warmer southern climes. As we have onward plans from Miami, we have booked a direct flight there and will spend some time in Miami rather than crossing the Atlantic on the cruise. 

14 minutes ago, Alemao92 said:

Bob the dog - there is no hurricane, it does look stormy but nothing out of the ordinary for the time of year; in fact based on the predicted weather maps, next Friday (8th) looks even more stormy.

Alemao92. If you look at the NHC website ( national hurricane centre) as I did yesterday it definitely said Hurricane.

Edited by bob the dog

On the last cruise we were advised, pre cruise, that we would be 2 hours late into Le Havre due to a "speed restriction"

There was no clarification of the reason for the restriction. However, on the voyage from Amsterdam to Le Havre I think we sailed at no more that 18 knots whereas the Explorer is said to be able to cruise at 23knots!

I wonder if the Explorer is unable to use all its power and could this be the reason for avoiding the bad weather?

On the NHC Noaa.gov 12.40pm today no reports of any activity for the next 48hours in the atlantic no storms showing I think there is more to this than they are letting on especially with all the other cruise lines operating as normal off the coast of Portugal ,Spain and biscay. 

• Like 1

Exactly, Legin1, RL wouldn’t do this lightly as it will be costing them for the ongoing Canaries cruise plus the Caribbean cruise which I have cancelled and I’m sure others will/ have done too but something doesn’t quite make sense. My guess is that it eventually leaves on Sat or Sunday non stop to Miami...... but what do I know?

Explorer was due to be sailing back to Southampton Sun/Mon. Passage weather is showing rough seas through the Bay of Biscay at this time. Just checked the Southampton port schedule and Explorer was the only ship due to arrive on 5th, P and O and Cunard are due in on 3rd and 4th so will probably beat the storm.

True, Kernow but I would have thought the way to avoid the maximum disruption in that case would have been to get EOS back a day early rather than what they have done. This would only impact one cruise and the conditions go sailing on Wednesday evening look quite benign..or maybe I’m just sore that my plans have been destroyed 

Am due to be on the crossing too next week and is a real shame to be losing out on some great ports and a few days - but have to say I'm so pleased to see they're taking the safety of everyone on board really seriously. This will be costing them a huge amount in costs and lost revenue for both cruises affected, so am sure that the decision was not taken lightly and they genuinely will have wanted to avoid it!

Why take un-necessary risks? Think back 7 years to that ill fated Costa Concordia cruise, shows what can happen when you do! Would rather a few less days cruise than something like that!

• Like 1