Tasmania cruise from Sydney or Melbourne?

daphcheah

4 hours ago, daphcheah said:

Hi! Looking at a cruise Jan2021 to Tasmania. Contemplating the one from Sydney (Majestic Princess) or Melbourne (Sapphire).

Anyone with any thoughts or experience?

Thanks 🙂

To me the most important thing, other than the ports offered is ease of getting to the port. For me it is much easier and usually less expensive to go from Melbourne as I don't have to fly.  Also do you prefer a smaller, older or larger, younger ship?

Leigh

On 11/2/2019 at 6:16 AM, possum52 said:

To me the most important thing, other than the ports offered is ease of getting to the port. For me it is much easier and usually less expensive to go from Melbourne as I don't have to fly.  Also do you prefer a smaller, older or larger, younger ship?

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, that makes sense! 

Just now, daphcheah said:

Wow every year 😍

Pretty much. So far done it with Princess (multiple times), Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, P&O. Have one booked this year on Majestic Princess and Next on Serenade of the seas. Mrs Gut teaches in a private school and December they break up about a week before public schools so we can slip away for a week before the prices jump and the ships are overrun by kids.

The fact that she has done some work with Port Arthur is an attraction because she can spend a day or two there doing some research taking some photos for her next book or article is an added benefit.

Then we do other cruises at other times of the year when we can.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:16 AM, possum52 said:

Leigh

I agree totally with what Leigh has said.

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Pretty much. So far done it with Princess (multiple times), Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, P&O. Have one booked this year on Majestic Princess and Next on Serenade of the seas. Mrs Gut teaches in a private school and December they break up about a week before public schools so we can slip away for a week before the prices jump and the ships are overrun by kids.

The fact that she has done some work with Port Arthur is an attraction because she can spend a day or two there doing some research taking some photos for her next book or article is an added benefit.

Then we do other cruises at other times of the year when we can.

I am a little concerned that the seas may be rough. How is it?

1 hour ago, daphcheah said:

We went on Ovation one time to Hobart.

Ovation at the time was the 4th biggest ship,17 stories high.

going down there was spray going right over the top of the ship as we were heading straight into it.

The captain said it was some of the worst weather he had seen .

The ship was quite steady.a few green faces but I think alcohol was a big factor.
That was the only rough weather in 4 times.

2 hours ago, daphcheah said:

We have had crossings where it was as smooth as glass, and others where they had to cancel the shows because it was dangerous to try and dance or anything on stage. They don’t call it the roaring 40s for nothing, but as I said it can also be like a millpond. A friend was looking into buying an apartment on The World, and during his interview was told that most crossings on her Passengers disembark in Sydney or Melbourne and catch up again in Hobart, or the other way around.

I did it from Sydney last March as I wanted 3 nights there before the cruise. So in addition to getting to the port, which embarkation city do you want to experience? (FWIW this month I'm doing NZ from Melbourne so I'll spending 3 nights pre-cruise there.) Sydney and Melbourne are as different as SF and LA or NO and NYC (not sure where you're from)