Does anyone have any news or updates on the engine repair issues with NCL Star? Status?

I am booked on the NCL Star departing from Barcelona on Nov. 22 for Miami.

I heard that they were having to replace an engine, which meant cutting a huge hole in the hull to remove and replace the damaged engine.  Where will this be done?

Will they have time to do this in just two weeks before the Barcelona sailing?

What about current passengers on the ship right now?

Anyone?

Obviously from what I read, the engine is not repairable in the ship.

The whole engine will have to be replaced.

So, where can that be done?

How long would that take?

Could the ship continue on a transatlantic voyage with one dead engine?

Are current passengers being removed and sent home?

The cruise at the moment has had Itinerary changes and my one starting tomorrow has had Santorini dropped and only a 2 hour stop in Montenegro at night when nothing is open, the cruise at the moment has had 4 ports dropped.  Only been offered $100 per cabin and we have to share that between 3 and a 20% FCC when I wont go with them again for another 6 years probably as their Guest Services is shocking as always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sarar said:

The cruise at the moment has had Itinerary changes and my one starting tomorrow has had Santorini dropped and only a 2 hour stop in Montenegro at night when nothing is open, the cruise at the moment has had 4 ports dropped.  Only been offered $100 per cabin and we have to share that between 3 and a 20% FCC when I wont go with them again for another 6 years probably as their Guest Services is shocking as always.

Do you know if the engine repairs have been done or is the ship just getting by with one less engine?

Any updates from the bridge?

Thanks!

I have just had an itinerary change email from NCL Montenegro a Technical stop only but we all knew that anyway🤔. Don’t understand by the email if they are giving us an additional $100 per stateroom for this?

On 11/9/2019 at 1:16 AM, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Obviously from what I read, the engine is not repairable in the ship.

The whole engine will have to be replaced.

So, where can that be done?

How long would that take?

Could the ship continue on a transatlantic voyage with one dead engine?

Are current passengers being removed and sent home?

Where are you reading that the engine is not repairable on the ship?  Unless the engine has completely exploded and sent a connecting rod out the side (and even then I've had onboard repairs done), everything can be repaired onboard.  In the "Star misses Dubrovnik" thread are my comments about engine overhauls and the likely scenario that happened.  Yes, the ship could to a TA without one diesel engine, as she has four, and very likely has been sailing for weeks with only 3 operable, if one was down for scheduled overhaul.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

What is a "technical stop"?

18 hours ago, OzCanuck said:

Nobody gets off. Officials come aboard by boat to get some papers stamped. 

A "technical" stop is one that is required to meet various cabotage laws regarding cruises.  In this case, it is to meet the requirement to have a port call outside the EU to keep from having to charge VAT for all onboard purchases.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Where are you reading that the engine is not repairable on the ship?  Unless the engine has completely exploded and sent a connecting rod out the side (and even then I've had onboard repairs done), everything can be repaired onboard.  In the "Star misses Dubrovnik" thread are my comments about engine overhauls and the likely scenario that happened.  Yes, the ship could to a TA without one diesel engine, as she has four, and very likely has been sailing for weeks with only 3 operable, if one was down for scheduled overhaul.

Points of clarification.

NCL Star has 4 generators and 2 Azipod 'engines'....3 bow thrusters. Truth is we really don't know where the specific....if just one...problem is/are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Star

1 hour ago, JustaOreo said:

Points of clarification.

NCL Star has 4 generators and 2 Azipod 'engines'....3 bow thrusters. Truth is we really don't know where the specific....if just one...problem is/are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Star

Completely aware of the Star's configuration, but it has 4 diesel engines driving generators, and two Azipod motors (electric), as well as the 3 thruster motors.  In the maritime world there is a major difference between "engine" and "motor".

And, someone onboard, who is posting on the other thread, has stated the problem is with one of the diesel engines.

Edited by chengkp75

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Completely aware of the Star's configuration, but it has 4 diesel engines driving generators, and two Azipod motors (electric), as well as the 3 thruster motors.  In the maritime world there is a major difference between "engine" and "motor".

And, someone onboard, who is posting on the other thread, has stated the problem is with one of the diesel engines.

Mea Culpa......no slight intended. Just trying to say for those of us not fully versed on the technical naval lingo.....until/unless NCL ever says what the issue is/was..........all we can do is speculate.

1 hour ago, JustaOreo said:

Mea Culpa......no slight intended. Just trying to say for those of us not fully versed on the technical naval lingo.....until/unless NCL ever says what the issue is/was..........all we can do is speculate.

No worries.  It just gets me when folks lump things together as "propulsion problems" that may or may not be, and thinking that engines drive the propellers.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Unless the engine has completely exploded and sent a connecting rod out the side (and even then I've had onboard repairs done), everything can be repaired onboard.  In the "Star misses Dubrovnik" thread are my comments about engine overhauls and the likely scenario that happened.  Yes, the ship could to a TA without one diesel engine, as she has four, and very likely has been sailing for weeks with only 3 operable, if one was down for scheduled overhaul.

Thank you for all of your great knowledge and info.

I feel much better now that my cruise from Barcelona will probably sail as scheduled.  We may miss a port of call or two, but I am ok with that.  I leave for Spain in 7 days.

I can't wait!

Thanks again!

34 minutes ago, Bobrunner said:

I guess by the time March comes around all engine issue will be solved.  Sailing from Florida.

Tell that to the folks over at Princess.  They had a ship sailing with propulsion issues for 18 months because they actually DID have to cut a hole in the side of the ship to effect repairs...

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...