Celebrity Edge Restaurants

ChampagneandFanfare

Hi,

Am booked on the Edge for Dec 8. How does the 4 main dining rooms work - do you just make reservations at whichever you want or are you assigned one and have to "get in" on another? Also how do the specialty restaurants work - it says price is for cover only - do you have to pay for the food on top of that charge?

Thanks,

Sandi

• 3 weeks later...

If you have Select Dining, you can reserve (if you want) times in any or all of the MDRs.

If you have one of the 2 fixed dining times, as I understand it you will be assigned to one of the MDRs. You can request to dine in the others and may or may not be able to be accommodated. 

As I understand it, the only part of the menu that differs is the small section for that MDR - and it remains constant throughout the cruise while the common menu changes.

I have not been on Edge (or any Celebrity ship) yet, but in any other specialty restaurant with a fixed fee, that covers the meal unless you opt for things like a wine pairing or a higher cut of meat - but that is generally marked with the extra price. I am not sure how it works with a la carte things like the raw fish place as I don’t do fish cooked or raw.

It may be too late to make reservations in the 4 MDR's - are you select or traditional? We were select, a group of 6, that made reservations far in advance. On our recent sail I think we saw folks trying to get changed - not sure how it was working. There seemed to be sort of a "select section" that we rotated thru but there were often empty tables so it would seem to be folks could be accomodated. FYI - you can get the special selections from the restaurant adjacent to where you are seated if you ask. For example, in Cyprus, you could ask for one of the special selections from Cosmopolitan. For our group of 6, things went very smoothly.

As others say if you are Select you can make reservations at any of the 4 Restaurants or just show up.    If there is a back up you may be given a beeper so you can relax and have a drink.   If you have the Celebrity App you can make  reservations in any 4 of the restaurants.    When you select the venue you will see available times.    Again if your time isn't available show up and you will be either seated immediately or given a beeper.

As for the Specialties.    The "Cover Charge" covers the cost of your mean and basic tip.   You may wish to over tip if you have excellent service.

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others say if you are Select you can make reservations at any of the 4 Restaurants or just show up.    If there is a back up you may be given a beeper so you can relax and have a drink.   If you have the Celebrity App you can make  reservations in any 4 of the restaurants.    When you select the venue you will see available times.    Again if your time isn't available show up and you will be either seated immediately or given a beeper.

As for the Specialties.    The "Cover Charge" covers the cost of your mean and basic tip.   You may wish to over tip if you have excellent service.

Last week I was discouraged by our waiter in Eden on the Edge when I started to write in an additional tip for his excellent service. He suggested that I should save my money since the additional tip money goes into a large general shared tip pool...he does not get the money. I thanked him for his candor.

We enjoyed the 4 mdr plan on Select Dining ..EDGE Nov 15th.  We made advance res for 6 pm, 2 nights in each ...plus one extra  last minute in Tuscan when a excursion  with dinner was cancelled.

Dining early meant we were able to make the early shows at 7:30, and had great  tables for 2..Sunsets!  I planned to do a short 4 mdr review but am delayed a bit..Will post  when I can.

As for tips, we did add extra to the receipt at Rooftop Grill  and Cafe Bistro for lunch..Had we known it was a pool, we would have given cash...that's what we did with our fav hostess and waitstaff team. 

• Like 1

Our favorite specialty restaurants on Edge were Eden (hand down best), Raw on 5 and Petite Chef. We also dined at Rooftop Grill and the steakhouse. All restaurants with the exception of Edge were 100% covered by the meal plan. Raw of 5 gave each holder of the plan a $35 credit — which we did not come close to fully using. 

We had kids at all restaurants. Some restaurants charged us $10 for each kid while others simply did not charge us at all. 

Members of our group without kids, but with the specialty plan did not have to sign anything (nor did they have to present their sea pass card). Those of us with kids (and who were charged) had to sign for the $10. When that was the case and if the service was outstanding (where it was at the majority of the restaurants) — we added maybe another $5 to the gratuity line. In hindsight I wish we handed the servers cash, but it is what it is. 

I would definitely suggest booking Eden for the very first night of your cruise. It is such a great multi course meal and a VERY cool ambiance. If we waited until the later days of the trip then the experience might not have been the same. It would have been far less enjoyable after having had days of the typical food and drink overindulgence. 

Enjoy!