Montezuma or Noro?

pamici

15 minutes ago, clo said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/symptoms-causes/syc-20356230

If you scroll down you can see the various things and timing of onset.

did not realize all the different timings of getting sick.  Just hope I don’t go thru this again.  Brutal for sure and you don’t loose that much weight🥴.

Edited by cheeseclan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Most food poisoning symptoms take at least 24 hours to start so it likely wasn't the beach club from Cozumel. If it was some type of foodborne illness, it was likely something else days (or even weeks in some cases) before. Or it could have been Noro. That can hit as little as 12 hours after exposure. Just my 2 cents.

It depends if it is a food borne illness (infection) or a food borne toxin from micro organisms.

Toxins act more quickly.  Some very quickly, but the more common ones are several hours, but not as long as 24 hours.

For illness versions, it also depends on the dose.  A very heavy dose will not require many multiplications to be an issue.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:45 AM, SRF said:

It depends if it is a food borne illness (infection) or a food borne toxin from micro organisms.

Toxins act more quickly.  Some very quickly, but the more common ones are several hours, but not as long as 24 hours.

For illness versions, it also depends on the dose.  A very heavy dose will not require many multiplications to be an issue.

I didn't say all. I said most. We'll probably never find out for sure what she had since she wasn't tested and there aren't any other reports of illness. They may have occurred but those people didn't post here. It's all speculation, including my own comments. But you can continue to debate if it suits you.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, pamici said:

TMI warning, so scroll past if you are squeamish. My husband and I were on the Vista Oct 19-26th and it was an absolutely perfect cruise. Until ... The next to last night, after a (perfect) port day in Cozumel, we got so. very. sick.

At first, we chalked it up to being amateur drinkers since we were at a very well-respected beach club, but more than 24 hours later, I was running out of cookies to toss. We did visit the Medical Center (not exactly helpful), but they were not terribly concerned because my issues were all above the waterline, as it were. My husband had issues on the other end. They gave me a prescription anti-nausea medicine that helped a lot, as long as I didn't eat anything and only cautiously sipped very cold water. Hubs rationed out the immodium until we got back to the states.

I checked in with the folks from my facebook group and nobody else was remotely sick, whether they were at the beach club or just onboard. So I'm wondering, what the heck gives? I'm scheduled to return to the same beach club in March and I'm trying not to overreact, but maybe I should stick with bottled beer and no produce? I love me some guacamole and what's a Corona without lime? And those mixed drinks were really, really good. Until they weren't.

Those with more experience in cruising, drinking, and foreign food ... any purely amateur opinions on what hit us?

If the Medical Center wasn't concerned, they ruled out Noro.  You don't want to take anything to stop the bad stuff from exiting your body.  Fluids leaving by the most "expedient" method are best while you stay hydrated.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, pamici said:

TMI warning, so scroll past if you are squeamish. My husband and I were on the Vista Oct 19-26th and it was an absolutely perfect cruise. Until ... The next to last night, after a (perfect) port day in Cozumel, we got so. very. sick.

At first, we chalked it up to being amateur drinkers since we were at a very well-respected beach club, but more than 24 hours later, I was running out of cookies to toss. We did visit the Medical Center (not exactly helpful), but they were not terribly concerned because my issues were all above the waterline, as it were. My husband had issues on the other end. They gave me a prescription anti-nausea medicine that helped a lot, as long as I didn't eat anything and only cautiously sipped very cold water. Hubs rationed out the immodium until we got back to the states.

I checked in with the folks from my facebook group and nobody else was remotely sick, whether they were at the beach club or just onboard. So I'm wondering, what the heck gives? I'm scheduled to return to the same beach club in March and I'm trying not to overreact, but maybe I should stick with bottled beer and no produce? I love me some guacamole and what's a Corona without lime? And those mixed drinks were really, really good. Until they weren't.

Those with more experience in cruising, drinking, and foreign food ... any purely amateur opinions on what hit us?

My guess is that it was from the produce and had nothing to do with noro. Best to avoid produce, ice and unbottled water on your next visit. If it isn't cooked or bottled, don't consume it.

BTW it can happen anywhere in Mexico we got it one year that a Four Seasons, and never ate off property.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zqvol said:

My guess is that it was from the produce and had nothing to do with noro. Best to avoid produce, ice and unbottled water on your next visit. If it isn't cooked or bottled, don't consume it.

BTW it can happen anywhere in Mexico we got it one year that a Four Seasons, and never ate off property.

And we eat food and drink local water all over the world and never get sick.  Knock wood.

26 minutes ago, SRF said:

As I have said before, you are weird. 

😄

I drink local water too though admittedly it is via a filter bottle 😉. In saying that Mexico's tap water has improved a lot in the last few years since the government is trying to reduce plastic waste from the bottled water locals having been living off. When I was visiting Mexico City a few years ago they had a campaign to persuade people to drink tap water when eating out instead of ordering a bottle of water and a lot of restaurants have UV filters installed in taps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zqvol said:

If it isn't cooked or bottled, don't consume it.

Wow. Thank you for the confirmation and I will gladly heed that advice!