Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Not the same type of system. Not even close.

Pretty much the same NFC & BLE

The Ocean Medallion contains 13.56 MHz NFC RFID technology, as well as BLE to enable multiple services. NFC ensures secure short-range reads, while the BLE technology offers a longer range to help users access location-based content.

"When a passenger arrives at the ship, that person's medallion transmits a unique ID that is received by BLE sensors, and staff members can view on a tablet who is arriving based on those transmissions. This makes the receiving process faster for passengers, the company reports, since they don't need to provide tickets or identification. Upon arriving at the assigned guest stateroom, the passenger encounters a digital display installed at the door. The display comes with a built-in NFC device and Beacon receiver."

"When the guest pays for the beverage, staff members can use the NFC technology to gain a short secure transmission".

Edited by CruiseVA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

Very interesting.

It says "

Once the device confirms that individual's identity based on the ID transmission, the system automatically unlocks the door while also greeting the guest by name on the screen. The BLE transmission enables cruise-line personnel to know whether passengers are in or out of their rooms. That information allows the staff to identify the best time to service a particular room. In addition, passengers can use the app to set their room's requested temperature or lighting conditions. Each time they access their stateroom door, the room's settings will then automatically adjust to their needs."

I don't think it worked that way on the ships we've been on. The room temp remained at what we set it on when we left. I would hate to have the room get warm & then wait until it got cooled off again. 

Once you already purchase. To repurchase the 

31 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

Pretty much the same NFC & BLE

The Ocean Medallion contains 13.56 MHz NFC RFID technology, as well as BLE to enable multiple services. NFC ensures secure short-range reads, while the BLE technology offers a longer range to help users access location-based content.

"When a passenger arrives at the ship, that person's medallion transmits a unique ID that is received by BLE sensors, and staff members can view on a tablet who is arriving based on those transmissions. This makes the receiving process faster for passengers, the company reports, since they don't need to provide tickets or identification. Upon arriving at the assigned guest stateroom, the passenger encounters a digital display installed at the door. The display comes with a built-in NFC device and Beacon receiver."

"When the guest pays for the beverage, staff members can use the NFC technology to gain a short secure transmission".

If you already have a drink package, or already paid one time for a drink they can access your information and no need to scan the medallion for payment. You must first pay one time so they have that information.

9 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Once you already purchase. To repurchase the 

If you already have a drink package, or already paid one time for a drink they can access your information and no need to scan the medallion for payment. You must first pay one time so they have that information.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "have that information"?  The Medallion transmits a unique code, the backend computers are contacted by whatever the staff is using - those computers have all the data, none of the Medallions or stations have any data.  

51 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "have that information"?  The Medallion transmits a unique code, the backend computers are contacted by whatever the staff is using - those computers have all the data, none of the Medallions or stations have any data.  

The pad they use does bring up your information. So I do not understand your question. Guess to clear it up for you. They have the information that they receive from the system and your medallion. Is that better?

14 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

The pad they use does bring up your information. So I do not understand your question. Guess to clear it up for you. They have the information that they receive from the system and your medallion. Is that better?

I'm curious about "you have to purchase at least one drink in order for them to see the information"?

Edited by CruiseVA

I was on the Regal last week. As someone who was not excited about the Medallion, I thought I would post my experiences. The embarkation was the fastest and easiest I have ever experienced. I think this was due more to uploading security photos and passports in advance than due to the actual medallion device. Getting on and off in ports was no faster than with cards, but it does avoid handing your card over to security which can transfer germs.

My husband used the medallion to track me down once. He said he had a little difficulty finding me, but I may have been on the move at the time.  We used our tablet to order our free drinks. It was easy.

Other than that, we didn’t take advantage of the medallion at all.  It opened the door fine, but the problem was that when we left the room the door wouldn’t lock until we were pretty far away. We are people that like to check that a door locks when we leave, and that was difficult.

If you lose your medallion, anyone can use it on the boards near the elevators to find out what room you are in.

None of the staff used the medallion to call us by name when we walked into a venue, which is good. I still found it too invasive by having our names posted outside our door and photos popping up outside elevators and our room (glad I used pictures of our pets). 

We wore our medallions on the lanyards like most people. They were annoying and the photographers keep asking you to take them off so they don’t ruin the picture.

Overall I was not a fan. Maybe if they make it more useful. For example, you would think the photographers could use it to tag your photos instead of making you search for your photos.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, Cruiser933 said:

I was on the Regal last week. As someone who was not excited about the Medallion, I thought I would post my experiences. The embarkation was the fastest and easiest I have ever experienced. I think this was due more to uploading security photos and passports in advance than due to the actual medallion device. Getting on and off in ports was no faster than with cards, but it does avoid handing your card over to security which can transfer germs.

My husband used the medallion to track me down once. He said he had a little difficulty finding me, but I may have been on the move at the time.  We used our tablet to order our free drinks. It was easy.

Other than that, we didn’t take advantage of the medallion at all.  It opened the door fine, but the problem was that when we left the room the door wouldn’t lock until we were pretty far away. We are people that like to check that a door locks when we leave, and that was difficult.

If you lose your medallion, anyone can use it on the boards near the elevators to find out what room you are in.

None of the staff used the medallion to call us by name when we walked into a venue, which is good. I still found it too invasive by having our names posted outside our door and photos popping up outside elevators and our room (glad I used pictures of our pets). 

We wore our medallions on the lanyards like most people. They were annoying and the photographers keep asking you to take them off so they don’t ruin the picture.

Overall I was not a fan. Maybe if they make it more useful. For example, you would think the photographers could use it to tag your photos instead of making you search for your photos.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.  Wife and I will update our photos this weekend!  We are big door lock checkers as well, I guess I will pass off my medallion and have her go down the hallway!!!! 

I had the same experience. It's vague at best for location. 

Our door would lock immediately. If you wanted to go back in you had to walk down the hallway 20 feet & return to have it open again. 

That problem hasn't changed. It seems to be common on all the ships. They don't seem to think it's a security problem.... at least until someone gets their cabin broken into & a lawsuit follows.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:45 PM, 1gr8cruise said:

So I get an email saying my Ocean medallion order has been shipped, scheduled to be delivered by Fed Ex on Wednesday.  The Fed Ex shipping tracker indicates they were shipped from Singapore GS, Are you flipping kidding me Princess,???  My Ocean Medallion devices were shipped from the second highest concentrated area of Coronavirus in the world??  Then I go to the United States CDC website and they say the disease can be transmitted from an object.  If the object is contaminated and you then touch your mouth, nose or eyes after touching the object.  This is incredible...........  

Think about all viruses when you go to the Horizon Court for breakfast and find the drinkware already on the table, upside down.  Then watch to see if they leave "unused" drinkware on the table for the next passenger and watch to see how they sanitize the table with that drinkware still sitting there.

My advice - grab your own coffee and juice from the beverage station and don't use anything that you find already on the table.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:49 PM, Cruiser933 said:

Odd, I got off Regal the week before you and my experience was completely different.  Every time we left our stateroom, the door locked immediately.  I remember this very clearly because I remember seeing that the screen by the door would show a red lock and the words "Door Locked."  I clearly remember a few times stepping out of the room and then realizing we left something in the room and it was a bit of a pain because when that red lock was showing, the only way I could get back in was to take the medallion clipped on my belt and physically touching the screen with the medallion to unlock the door.

I don't recall that there was any option to put the medallion on the large display by the elevators in order to find out where my room was, but then I didn't fiddle around with those screens much.  Maybe someone else who had more experience with those screens could clarify this.  I only remember being able to get directions to some public venue onboard, not any cabins.

Edited by Daniel A

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't recall that there was any option to put the medallion on the large display by the elevators in order to find out where my room was, but then I didn't fiddle around with those screens much.  Maybe someone else who had more experience with those screens could clarify this.  I only remember being able to get directions to some public venue onboard, not any cabins.

Yes, the problem still exists.

Being able to find a cabin location has been that way since the beginning of the Medallion system. If you lose your Medallion anyone who finds it can get access to your cabin until you report it lost. 

I've reported it numerous times over the years & still nothing has been done to correct the flaw in the program both on the ships & via an email to headquarters without any results. The only way to avoid the problem is to request a cruise card in place of the Medallion but you'll be losing some of it's benefits.  

I've given up. 

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Being able to find a cabin location has been that way since the beginning of the Medallion system. If you lose your Medallion anyone who finds it can get access to your cabin until you report it lost. 

I've reported it numerous times over the years & still nothing has been done to correct the flaw in the program both on the ships & via an email to headquarters without any results. The only way to avoid the problem is to request a cruise card in place of the Medallion but you'll be losing some of it's benefits.  

I've given up. 

As I said earlier, I really didn't play with those large screens very much.  I just don't recall seeing that option the few times I did use them.

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Think about all viruses when you go to the Horizon Court for breakfast and find the drinkware already on the table, upside down.  Then watch to see if they leave "unused" drinkware on the table for the next passenger and watch to see how they sanitize the table with that drinkware still sitting there.

My advice - grab your own coffee and juice from the beverage station and don't use anything that you find already on the table.

Thank you, you are observant like me.....I pay attention to that stuff.  I appreciate the heads up- I will get my own coffee!!!  I saw a kid on a cruise sneeze right on the serving spoon he was getting food off of for the buffet, he put it right back in the dish.  I told the staff, they replaced the spoon- that was it!!! Not a big buffet fan but sometimes you have to do it for convenience.  

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I've given up. 

Not a flaw at all. Both with the medallion or the cruise card you would first need to know the cabin number. No different. At least you cannot forget the medallion when playing slots. As for charging a drink. I think not. With the cruise card or the medallion your picture comes up on the bar tenders screen or the waiters pad. So getting the cruise card changes nothing.

5 minutes ago, 1gr8cruise said:

Thank you, you are observant like me.....I pay attention to that stuff.  I appreciate the heads up- I will get my own coffee!!!  I saw a kid on a cruise sneeze right on the serving spoon he was getting food off of for the buffet, he put it right back in the dish.  I told the staff, they replaced the spoon- that was it!!! Not a big buffet fan but sometimes you have to do it for convenience.  

Many complain about the buffets. Happens at ALL buffets. Not just on ships. What happens behind the scenes at the MDR?  You do not know. Could be much worse because they know you cannot see them. It just happens.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Many complain about the buffets. Happens at ALL buffets. Not just on ships. What happens behind the scenes at the MDR?  You do not know. Could be much worse because they know you cannot see them. It just happens.

I agree......however, I do believe the kitchen staff has standards for handling food, unlike passengers!!!!  If the cruise line didn't have standards and people were constantly getting sick they wouldn't stay in business.  Yes, probably best we dont know what goes on in all restaurant kitchens!!!! Some of the best food out there comes from little dive restaurants.  Go to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk, try the jerk chicken.......cut up on an old wood board, old rusty knife....but damn tasty!!!  😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1gr8cruise said:

I agree......however, I do believe the kitchen staff has standards for handling food, unlike passengers!!!!  If the cruise line didn't have standards and people were constantly getting sick they wouldn't stay in business.  Yes, probably best we dont know what goes on in all restaurant kitchens!!!! Some of the best food out there comes from little dive restaurants.  Go to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk, try the jerk chicken.......cut up on an old wood board, old rusty knife....but damn tasty!!!  😁

At Grand Cayman we went in a fish place and had fresh Grouper it was excellent. I went to the men's room which goes past the kitchen. Filthy and roaches running everywhere. Droppings everywhere. A big kettle of oil was boiling on the stove. Guess that would kill anything. I am sur the kitchen staff have strict standards but I am also sure it happens.

20 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Not a flaw at all. Both with the medallion or the cruise card you would first need to know the cabin number. No different. At least you cannot forget the medallion when playing slots. As for charging a drink. I think not. With the cruise card or the medallion your picture comes up on the bar tenders screen or the waiters pad. So getting the cruise card changes nothing.

As I understand the issue,  the claim is that one can place a medallion on the reader of one of the large screen monitors and find out which cabin it belongs to.  I just don't recall seeing that.

Just now, Daniel A said:

As I understand the issue,  the claim is that one can place a medallion on the reader of one of the large screen monitors and find out which cabin it belongs to.  I just don't recall seeing that.

You can find a medallion as looking for someone, where they are. It also shows where you are located. I do not think it shows any cabin location.

39 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

On the screens where you can ask it to show you how to get to various venues, there is an option to have it show you how to get to your cabin. It shows you how to get there and shows your cabin number. I was always told that cruise lines do not print your cabin number on your cruise card for security reasons, so I was surprised how easy it would be to find out a cabin number with medallion.

I don’t know what we were doing wrong regarding the cabin door, but it would only lock after both medallions were several feet away from it. Other passengers commented to us that they were having the same issue.

6 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

On the screens where you can ask it to show you how to get to various venues, there is an option to have it show you how to get to your cabin. It shows you how to get there and shows your cabin number. I was always told that cruise lines do not print your cabin number on your cruise card for security reasons, so I was surprised how easy it would be to find out a cabin number with medallion.

DW thinks she saw that option too.  I just don't remember seeing it.  I guess I'd better jump on the next Medallion Class cruise to make sure...:classic_biggrin: 

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

The cruise card doesn't have a cabin number printer on it for security reasons.

Why do they allow the board to show the cabin number without at least having to  first enter a pin number?

56 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

You can find a medallion as looking for someone, where they are. It also shows where you are located. I do not think it shows any cabin location.

It does. 

13 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

I don’t know what we were doing wrong regarding the cabin door, but it would only lock after both medallions were several feet away from it. Other passengers commented to us that they were having the same issue.

I asked them at the PSD when they intended to start printing the cabin number on the cruise cards as well. 😄

• Haha 1