On Board Credit-can be used in advance?

cruisegal415

I have a feeling the answer to this is "no" based on our experience with other lines, but can we use our On Board Credit to book items in advance? Like for ship excursions? On other lines, you could only use the OBC to book excursions on the ship, which meant that you take your chances that the excursions you want will be sold out if you wait until after boarding to book.  Also wonder if you can use the OBC to book the beverage or coffee packages, again, do you have to wait till you're on board? Because aren't they cheaper if you book them prior to boarding? Same with the internet package--if we want to use our OBC do we have to do it on board, and if so, isn't it more expensive that way?

1 minute ago, cruisegal415 said:

I have a feeling the answer to this is "no" based on our experience with other lines, but can we use our On Board Credit to book items in advance? Like for ship excursions? On other lines, you could only use the OBC to book excursions on the ship, which meant that you take your chances that the excursions you want will be sold out if you wait until after boarding to book.  Also wonder if you can use the OBC to book the beverage or coffee packages, again, do you have to wait till you're on board? Because aren't they cheaper if you book them prior to boarding? Same with the internet package--if we want to use our OBC do we have to do it on board, and if so, isn't it more expensive that way?

You can use it to book excursions.

12 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

It can be used to pay for anything you want the the cruise line offers for the cruise your are taking. 

9 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Yes, but the key question is, can you use it when you purchase or book IN ADVANCE or does it have to be used when you book ON THE SHIP?  On the other lines we have been on, it could only be used when you book ON THE SHIP not in advance.

It can be used in advance for excursions. You can either call Princess or do it on your personalizer.

I do not believe you can use it in advance for anything else.

9 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

OK I just did a live chat with Princess and found out we can use OBC to pre-book excursions, but for services like beverage package or internet, you can only use OBC while on board.

Correct and the coffee package is the same price pre or post. Internet has a "special" deal pre and a "special" deal post (YMMV). You have to decide which deal works best for you.

Also, you can book specialty restaurants pre, BUT IMHO it's better to wait 'til you're on board. Better choice of times for your dinner. The specialty restaurants are rarely sold out.

Yes for excursions booked in advance. No for anything else. Note when booking excursions. If you are a couple with unbalanced OBC the on line system will only allow use of the OBC shown for that person. To combine the OBC you have to call Princess to book. Hope this makes sense.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It can be used in advance for excursions. You can either call Princess or do it on your personalizer.

I do not believe you can use it in advance for anything else.

The policy on this changed sometime in the last year or so to being able to use it before the cruise on tours.

As for other items such as a UBD, I still have to pay with a credit card to reserve.