Alaskan cruise in June. Is the dress more casual?

Kfrech

"Get away with"???
Minimal acceptable dress for men is a shirt with a collar and long pants. Clean, non-distressed jeans are acceptable on all nights except Gala nights. 
Ladies dress is a comparable level. 

Read the ‘Know Before You Go’ that HAL provides will all bookings.  It will answer your question and many others.   Cruises are cruises.  I don’t think any are ‘more casual’ or ‘more dressy’ than others.  I’ve been to several ‘regions’ and found them to be pretty much the same.  

20 minutes ago, RuthC said:

"Get away with"???
Minimal acceptable dress for men is a shirt with a collar and long pants. Clean, non-distressed jeans are acceptable on all nights except Gala nights. 
Ladies dress is a comparable level. 

Excellent Ruth! My thoughts the second I read it as well.

@Kfrech, this question is asked frequently. The dress code is the same worldwide, and it isn't that stringent anymore. Yes, people worry about bringing warmer clothes for Alaska, and figure there won't be room for all the "dressy" clothes. Its not hard to meet the dress code.

We were on an Alaska cruise in 2018 and found that yes, the dress in Alaska is much more relaxed than a cruise in Europe.   But still dressed business casual you will fit right in.  

On the first night they even let my husband wear his shorts, but told him "only tonight". 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kfrech said:

Thank you. I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that we were going to go to dinner in anything less than business/casual attire; I just didn't want to feel compelled to be formally dressed.

Welcome to Cruise Critic where you'll get your answer but not without a lecture first.  Just ignore those posts.  They can't help themselves. 😉

But to answer your question, yes, I have found Alaska cruises to be more casual than other itineraries.  I cruised Alaska in September on Eurodam and full suits were the vast minority.  Most men were in slacks and collared shirts, even on gala nights. I wore a suit on the first gala night and actually felt over dressed.  I dressed it down to just a collared shirt and sport coat for the second.  

Enjoy your cruise. 😊

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies and the levity, Aquahound.

I pride myself on being able to travel with only carryon luggage (and am fine doing laundry during our travels). I was just concerned with the amount of clothing that I would need to pack.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic where you'll get your answer but not without a lecture first.  Just ignore those posts.  They can't help themselves. 😉

But to answer your question, yes, I have found Alaska cruises to be more casual than other itineraries.  I cruised Alaska in September on Eurodam and full suits were the vast minority.  Most men were in slacks and collared shirts, even on gala nights. I wore a suit on the first gala night and actually felt over dressed.  I dressed it down to just a collared shirt and sport coat for the second.  

Enjoy your cruise. 😊

Agreed!