Keel Laid for Ryndam

boze9999

17 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Well, you'll find out that the Koningsdam is the most disorganized ship in the fleet...

We were on the Koningsdam twice over the last 4 months and things went very smooth , it has a great crew everything went on time and specially the captain we had last month Captain Werner Timmers was awesome . There was a lot of interaction with the captain he was seen all over the ship and during the crossing he had a feature everyday  with questions for the captain .

You must have had a problem on your cruise because there is nothing but adoration for the crew on the cruises of the Koningsdam when we were on her for four times now . It was only on the very first Premier cruise that there was a little disorganization which was very understandable because she is the first ship in this class that the crew had to work on . The only thing we do not like about the Koningsdam is the Main Dining Room  , much too noisy , the loss of a nice HAL promenade deck and the sound levels of the music on the Music Row .

This is just my opinion 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We were on the Koningsdam twice over the last 4 months and things went very smooth , it has a great crew everything went on time and specially the captain we had last month Captain Werner Timmers was awesome . There was a lot of interaction with the captain he was seen all over the ship and during the crossing he had a feature everyday  with questions for the captain .

You must have had a problem on your cruise because there is nothing but adoration for the crew on the cruises of the Koningsdam when we were on her for four times now . It was only on the very first Premier cruise that there was a little disorganization which was very understandable because she is the first ship in this class that the crew had to work on . The only thing we do not like about the Koningsdam is the Main Dining Room  , much too noisy , the loss of a nice HAL promenade deck and the sound levels of the music on the Music Row .

This is just my opinion 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

Your remarks are very balanced.

I have said this on CC many times in the past, but the guest experience on any ship primarily depends on the ship's senior management's leadership.  That starts with the Master and the Hotel Director and works its way down.  My first two cruises on the Noordam:  excellent.  A 21 day Caribbean cruise on her a few years later with a different Captain and Hotel Director was the worst HAL cruise that this 5 Star Mariner has ever experienced on HAL.  Other 4 Star and 5 Star Mariners whom I met during that cruise were in complete agreement with my opinion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have said this on CC many times in the past, but the guest experience on any ship primarily depends on the ship's senior management's leadership.  That starts with the Master and the Hotel Director and works its way down.  My first two cruises on the Noordam:  excellent.  A 21 day Caribbean cruise on her a few years later with a different Captain and Hotel Director was the worst HAL cruise that this 5 Star Mariner has ever experienced on HAL.  Other 4 Star and 5 Star Mariners whom I met during that cruise were in complete agreement with my opinion.  

I agree with you on all of the above, and as usual I feel you have a fair and balanced viewpoint. 

I also find that someone's experience can also be colored by the pre-conceived notions they bring onboard with them.  I get the impression that many cruisers come onboard LOOKING for fault and things to complain about.  When someone starts off with a negative mindset it is very hard to change that persons opinion ... there are a few on these boards I would put into that category ....... and there are also a few that seem to like to stir up the negative energy any chance they get!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I agree with you on all of the above, and as usual I feel you have a fair and balanced viewpoint. 

I also find that someone's experience can also be colored by the pre-conceived notions they bring onboard with them.  I get the impression that many cruisers come onboard LOOKING for fault and things to complain about.  When someone starts off with a negative mindset it is very hard to change that persons opinion ... there are a few on these boards I would put into that category ....... and there are also a few that seem to like to stir up the negative energy any chance they get!

I am a "glass is half-full" person.  Focus on what is good.  Deal with whatever may not be and try to do so in the most positive manner possible.  

Thank you for your kind comment!  

We have been on both the Koningsdam and just recently the Nieuw Statendam, and have enjoyed both.  Yes, the service level on a 2600 guest ship suffers compared to a 1200 ship.  Yes, the promenade deck is a negative, but I am hopeful the Ryndam with it's lifeboats raised and back over the promenade like the older ships, may have a better view.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Point well taken.  Your observation is excellent.

23 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We have been on both the Koningsdam and just recently the Nieuw Statendam, and have enjoyed both.  Yes, the service level on a 2600 guest ship suffers compared to a 1200 ship.  Yes, the promenade deck is a negative, but I am hopeful the Ryndam with it's lifeboats raised and back over the promenade like the older ships, may have a better view.  

Is that going to be the move?  The "Problem"  with the Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam is that the Boats are out too far and the Panama Canal pilots insist on an unblocked view of the whole side of the ship.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:33 PM, Sir PMP said:

Well, you'll find out that the Koningsdam is the most disorganized ship in the fleet...

Please give us more information.  Do you have first-hand knowledge?  How often have you cruised on this ship?  I found no difference between my experiences on other Holland America ships and K.  In fact, we loved K so much, we couldn't wait to book her sister, NS.  I have been on all the dam ships, except for Zaandam (going on her this summer) and Volendam (cruising on her Christmas 2020), some more than once or twice.  I just don't understand your comment and would appreciate more information.

6 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

So this would mean a return to over half a deck of obstructed view  cabins without balconies like the Vista and Signature classes. If true I’m not sure it’s actually a bad move. The Pinnacles lack enough cabins priced between insides and verandahs, and the few oceanviews they have are often a big jump in price over interior rooms. This  may help HAL from having to discount non-obstructed verandah rooms as much on Ryndam as they do on her siblings. 

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

So this would mean a return to over half a deck of obstructed view  cabins without balconies like the Vista and Signature classes. If true I’m not sure it’s actually a bad move. The Pinnacles lack enough cabins priced between insides and verandahs, and the few oceanviews they have are often a big jump in price over interior rooms. This  may help HAL from having to discount non-obstructed verandah rooms as much on Ryndam as they do on her siblings. 

We will have to wait and see, but you are probably correct.  We had a 4th deck partially obstructed verandah on NS that we liked. Lifeboat was below eye level.

Oceanview rooms are bigger than insides on Pinnacle, as insides lack sofa/chair/coffee table.