Recent Volendam dry dock question

Iris5383

We were just on the Volendam on November 11 to 20. We had not been on her before but she is beautiful. All new carpeting throughout, new draperies in common areas, new tv monitors in the room, 100 on demand movies, the ship looks brand new inside. Have a Lincoln Stage Center with 4 piece string and piano that plays 2-3 times per day, lovely addition and the two piano players were excellent.

28 minutes ago, Up North Cruiser said:

We were just on the Volendam on November 11 to 20. We had not been on her before but she is beautiful. All new carpeting throughout, new draperies in common areas, new tv monitors in the room, 100 on demand movies, the ship looks brand new inside. Have a Lincoln Stage Center with 4 piece string and piano that plays 2-3 times per day, lovely addition and the two piano players were excellent.

Do you know if the TV upgrade was in all cabin types?  We are boarding Jan 5 and have an inside cabin on deck 3

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Do you know if the TV upgrade was in all cabin types?  We are boarding Jan 5 and have an inside cabin on deck 3

If you go to Hal’s site and read the description of the Volendam it says there interactive TVs and a mini frig in every cabin. I believe this is an upgrade from before. 

40 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

If you go to Hal’s site and read the description of the Volendam it says there interactive TVs and a mini frig in every cabin. I believe this is an upgrade from before. 

We are on Volendam right now in a Lanai. Yes to new tv, no to fridge (still having to cool my wine in an ice bucket😦

• Like 1

This is what is says on Holland America’s own site. Apparently they lied about the mini-frig lol. 

What entertainment options are available in my stateroom? Each room includes a flat-screen TV with interactive menu of programming including; on-demand movies, music stations, as well as both live and pre-recorded television. Additionally, guests can access ship information, dining options, an onboard activities schedule, shore excursions, and port information through this interactive media console. There are no external inputs available such as A/V or HDMI.
Does my stateroom have a mini-fridge? A mini-fridge is included with all staterooms. Guests who need to refrigerate medication should store it in the ship’s infirmary, as mini-fridges aren’t cold enough for that purpose.
What's the cost for mini-fridge rentals? Unnecessary as all staterooms include a mini-fridge.

8 hours ago, Chemistry Teach said:

Quick question for those of you on the Volendam....have they replaced the tubs with a shower? We are in a Vista room and wondered if we would have to deal with the tubs. Thanks in advance....Barb

We have a new shower in a Lanai. Shower is the same size as the old bath and is walk in with a glass door.

We were on the Volendam on November 1st when it first got out of dry dock.  We had an ocean view and requested a fridge ahead of time.  It was waiting in the room when we got there. Our room only had a shower, no tub.

Edited by littleone3

2 hours ago, littleone3 said:

We were on the Volendam on November 1st when it first got out of dry dock.  We had an ocean view and requested a fridge ahead of time.  It was waiting in the room when we got there. Our room only had a shower, no tub.

Thanks for the update.  I assume you had the large flat screen smart tv?  I am so glad they got rid of those tubs.  Hotel tubs always creep me out.  

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks for the update.  I assume you had the large flat screen smart tv?  I am so glad they got rid of those tubs.  Hotel tubs always creep me out.  

We did have the smart TV.  It had a great selection of movies on it.  If you have any other questions about the ship just let me know.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:03 PM, KAKcruiser said:

I think this is a description for another class of ship.  The vista, signature and pinnacle class all have mini fridges in all the rooms but the S and R class only have them in neptune suites and vista suites.

Then someone needs to let HAL know they screwed up. I copied the info about the mini frig directly from Volendam’s FAQ on HAL’s own site. 

I recently contacted HAL regarding fridges in oceanview cabins on the Volendam since there seemed to be conflicting information on what I read on Cruise Critic and what was stated on HAL's website. After a few back-and-forth discussions, I was told there were no fridges, but they can be purchased for $2 per day. When they wanted to charge me the $2 per day for our upcoming South America cruise, I told them it was too bad that HAL does not stand by what is obviously quite clearly stated on their web page -- that there is no need to rent a fridge because it's already provided. I was then told that they would install one at no cost. They also said that the web site would be corrected.

I was very pleased with the resolution which was quickly and professionally handled. I just wonder how long it will take for HAL to correct the information on the web.

I am wondering where they will put the mini-fridge in the cabin and will it take up the one plug available in the inside and ocean view cabins.  On our recent Rotterdam cruise during a turn around day I noticed a couple of these being hauled down the passageway so yes they are available.

10 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

I am wondering where they will put the mini-fridge in the cabin and will it take up the one plug available in the inside and ocean view cabins. 

The fridge either goes on top of the desk (where your things would get put down), or under it (where your knees would go when sitting there). Either way creates a difficulty (at best). Yes, it uses the plug at the desk. 

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

I am wondering where they will put the mini-fridge in the cabin and will it take up the one plug available in the inside and ocean view cabins.  On our recent Rotterdam cruise during a turn around day I noticed a couple of these being hauled down the passageway so yes they are available.

I sailed on the Rotterdam in a lanai this October and requested a mini fridge. Also had it on a lanai on the Veendam.   Although the fridge uses one plug, you are given a mulit-plug power strip. As a result, we did not have to bring our own and got additional plugs.which were very welcome.  The fridge was placed under the desk and did not interfere with anything.