Carnival Magic - LIVE - Dec 1-6 - FLL - Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Saint Greg

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I was actually originally supposed to be on Dream the week before you. I kind of started having regrets on the booking after my 10th time in Cozumel.

When they announced Breeze was taking over that route in 2021...That was the final straw. If I’m going to do it again I’d rather do it on Breeze. And if I’m going to do Dream again I’d rather go on one of the 6 or 8 day cruises it’s going to be doing on 2021.

So I looked at Panorama and found this cruise that was significantly cheaper than what I paid for Vista. So I searched for all panorama cruises and this one was the cheapest one of the entire schedule. That’s when I decided to try to switch it. They let me do it for just $50.

I’m happier now. New ship, new port of departure, all new ports. And I still have Breeze coming back to Galveston and the 6-8 day cruises Dream will be doing to look at later.

Oh yeah, that sounds like a smart decision all around. That's a great price for the switch! Those California routes are always so reasonable and the airfare out of DFW, too. One of these days ...

And now my kids and my sister are talking about Alaska cruises, which also sound good. I could absolutely retire to the cruising life. I could live out of a suitcase and home port storage unit. Can't talk my husband into it yet.

I'm looking forward to trying Breeze and Radiance. I really appreciate all the research you share on all aspects of your travels. If Saint Greg says it's good, it's definitely legit! 😄  Oh, and congratulations on your very nearly Platinum status!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pamici said:

Oh yeah, that sounds like a smart decision all around. That's a great price for the switch! Those California routes are always so reasonable and the airfare out of DFW, too. One of these days ...

And now my kids and my sister are talking about Alaska cruises, which also sound good. I could absolutely retire to the cruising life. I could live out of a suitcase and home port storage unit. Can't talk my husband into it yet.

I'm looking forward to trying Breeze and Radiance. I really appreciate all the research you share on all aspects of your travels. If Saint Greg says it's good, it's definitely legit! 😄  Oh, and congratulations on your very nearly Platinum status!!

Alaska is on my list as well. I think that may be the next one I let my credit card points pay for. I want to do a partial Panama Canal as well. Looks like that may be on Radiance. That one is just so rare it’s hard to find one that fits into my schedule.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve already peeked at my luggage tags and they say priority. I may have to print this set in color so my bag doesn’t get mistaken for one of those low priority bags.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Alaska is on my list as well. I think that may be the next one I let my credit card points pay for. I want to do a partial Panama Canal as well. Looks like that may be on Radiance. That one is just so rare it’s hard to find one that fits into my schedule.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve already peeked at my luggage tags and they say priority. I may have to print this set in color so my bag doesn’t get mistaken for one of those low priority bags.

Ha ha! Nice 🙂

Oh, I forgot about Panama Canal on Radiance - yes, definitely. I still haven't been to Key West, which is another bucket list. I figure I'll hit as many non-flight itineraries as I can and then start branching out. I have your credit card points strategy linked in my cruising spreadsheet (proudly nerdish). I'd forgotten about that option ...

I'm still trying to atone for my original credit card sins for my first two cruises. Playing interest fee roulette. Third cruise is already paid for, though, and the fourth is on a monthly debit. I figure I'll pay down my current balance and let any random points accumulate, then in about two years go at it more strategically. Do you use the Citibank (I think that's the one) that has an annual fee but good air mileage points?

5 hours ago, pamici said:

Ha ha! Nice 🙂

Oh, I forgot about Panama Canal on Radiance - yes, definitely. I still haven't been to Key West, which is another bucket list. I figure I'll hit as many non-flight itineraries as I can and then start branching out. I have your credit card points strategy linked in my cruising spreadsheet (proudly nerdish). I'd forgotten about that option ...

I'm still trying to atone for my original credit card sins for my first two cruises. Playing interest fee roulette. Third cruise is already paid for, though, and the fourth is on a monthly debit. I figure I'll pay down my current balance and let any random points accumulate, then in about two years go at it more strategically. Do you use the Citibank (I think that's the one) that has an annual fee but good air mileage points?

Key West you should be able to do without flying. New Orleans has a Key West, Nassau, Freeport every so often. Galveston has an 8 day that adds Half Moon Cay but is usually at a higher per day cost. I would like to go back to Key West sometime but I think I want to try to hold out until Carnival has that new port built in Freeport.

I use the Carnival Fun Points card. I know there are better ones out there but it's pretty convenient for me because I also have the NFL Extra points card which gives me no interest on my season tickets...and I can pay both bills in the same app since they are both through barclays. At some point in the next year I'll have enough to pay for another cruise and maybe i'll re-evaluate my cards again. In the past I never took flying into consideration. It's just within the past year that I decided to start flying to ports.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, Saint Greg said:

I’ve never had the 12 hour French toast before so I don’t know how it’s supposed to be but this was a big loaf that was undercooked inside. 

I just ate my hashbrowns and ham. I was offered something else but I declined. There’s plenty of food around here if I’m hungry.

A4D46C27-C01E-43E4-8D27-090B99CAD8C3.jpeg

I've seen quite a few post that it was undercooked and not really that good, I will miss the old French toast.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:29 AM, Saint Greg said:

I stopped by the post office this morning to put my mail hold on. I'll submit it online as well. I've had so many problems with my mail man. I think I mentioned it last time. I've had him hold it. I've had him not hold it. I've had him hold some of it. I've had him on the end of the hold deliver a bundle of someone else's mail. I have it set for me to pickup the accumulated mail so hopefully I don't have to worry about him delivering my mail to someone else. They got it right last time so hopefully we can make it two in a row.

I've had the same issues. Now I get my neighbor to check my mail.

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

Really enjoyed your review, thank you. Booked on the magic in April (Covid 19 permitting 😩). Same ports except I get Half Moon Cay instead of Nassau, thank goodness. 

Thanks! Hopefully we're back cruising by then. You may want to check out my Amber Cove guide if you're planning on spending any time there. I think I have more details in there than what I did live.

https://saintgregtravel.com/amber-cove-cruise-port/

Thank you for your reviews.  It’s 100 degrees in SoCal today and my cruising withdrawals are bad today.  I’m going back and reading some of your reviews to take the edge off.  I was suppose to be on the Panorama back in May. I have the Horizon in October but Im just waiting for that to be cancelled too.  I know your August cruise got cancelled.  Thank you again!

On 8/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, BeachDiva101 said:

Thank you for your reviews.  It’s 100 degrees in SoCal today and my cruising withdrawals are bad today.  I’m going back and reading some of your reviews to take the edge off.  I was suppose to be on the Panorama back in May. I have the Horizon in October but Im just waiting for that to be cancelled too.  I know your August cruise got cancelled.  Thank you again!

Thanks for reading! Yeah actually August and February got canceled for me since I was fortunate enough to have gotten bumped off of the Breeze in favor of Radiance cruisers. I'm hoping to be on Vista in November. If not then December. If not then February. I've been looking at some Horizon cruises since they have the Aruba route like the Magic one I lost but those are about 50% more than I paid for Magic...even booking two years out. So I'm holding off for now. I also have a Panorama review you may not have seen. It's not linked in the first post of this thread since it happened after this one.

@Saint Greg   Yes, I read your Panorama LIVE cruise as you were cruising it.  I also visited your website and read some stuff there too.  I loved your beach bar crawl thru Galveston!  I don’t think I will ever cruise out of Galveston, but I would love someday to do a cruise out of New Orleans and spend a couple of days in New Orleans first. I hope we all will be able to cruise safely in 2021, I have a feeling 2020 is done for as far as cruising goes.  As always, stay safe and healthy and thanks again for the great info and tips. May the New Orleans Saints stay healthy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

@Saint Greg   Yes, I read your Panorama LIVE cruise as you were cruising it.  I also visited your website and read some stuff there too.  I loved your beach bar crawl thru Galveston!  I don’t think I will ever cruise out of Galveston, but I would love someday to do a cruise out of New Orleans and spend a couple of days in New Orleans first. I hope we all will be able to cruise safely in 2021, I have a feeling 2020 is done for as far as cruising goes.  As always, stay safe and healthy and thanks again for the great info and tips. May the New Orleans Saints stay healthy.

I don't blame you on Galveston. If it weren't an easy drive for me I probably wouldn't cruise from there. The airports are too far away. Hotels are too expensive. No cheers on the first day. Fog delays in the winter. If I had to fly I'd much rather fly to a Florida port or New Orleans. But in the case of my upcoming Vista cruises, I just couldn't pass up the prices. They were cheaper than Glory. They were cheaper than my 2017 Freedom which was the cheapest 7-day I've booked. Of course if the cruises are canceled they just become cheap FCCs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SC2020 said:

I just came across this thread and I'm looking forward to reading! But I am a Panthers fan and so far I'm not enjoying this.

I hate to say your outlook for the next few years isn’t much better.

Edited by Saint Greg

Greg

As usual, I really enjoyed your Review. I'm having Cruise Withdrawals Big Time!! My next cruise isn't until September 2021, going on the Horizon for an 8 Day and I cannot wait, even though I have over a year to wait. This Virus SUCKS!! 

Love the Pictures! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MzOhioLady said:

Greg

As usual, I really enjoyed your Review. I'm having Cruise Withdrawals Big Time!! My next cruise isn't until September 2021, going on the Horizon for an 8 Day and I cannot wait, even though I have over a year to wait. This Virus SUCKS!! 

Love the Pictures! 

Thanks! Same here and it’s odd because I normally don’t cruise again until the end of August so this is normal. I think it’s maybe not having other people’s reviews and my planning to get me by. With two cruises canceled it’s hard to plan anything these days.

I’m looking at horizon for maybe December 2021 or August 2022. Love the Teppanyaki and JiJi’s.

Edited by Saint Greg

Greg I just came across your Magic review, don't know how I missed it before.  I have seen many of your reviews and they are always fantastic.  We were on the Magic in September and are scheduled on her again January 2nd.  We are still holding on to a thin strand of hope we will sail so it was fun to see your pictures!!  

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, Saint Greg said:

Thanks! Hopefully we're back cruising by then. You may want to check out my Amber Cove guide if you're planning on spending any time there. I think I have more details in there than what I did live.

https://saintgregtravel.com/amber-cove-cruise-port/

I'll check it out, although I've been to Amber Cove once previously. I did the waterfall jumping that you wanted to do, although not all 27. I would like to hit all 27 someday but I don't plan on doing that this trip. Was still amazing.

• 3 weeks later...