Medical marijuana

Pookie092403

26 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No supplement is addicting?

Parents sue over son's death after he took kratom supplement - ABC News (go.com)

Not sure what you mean by "no individual can legally possess marijuana". Obviously, that is not true. Given the number of states with recreational use and "medical" use. 

They are still breaking the law.  You can be arrested at any time per federal law if you have marijuana.  For an individual to legally have a controlled substance, he or she must have a prescription for a legitimate medical purpose.  Maintenance of an addict is not a legitimate reason except in limited circumstances with methadone and suboxone.  There is no such thing as a legal prescription for marijuana because it's not fda approved.  The states which have "medical" marijuana don't call it a prescription but a recommendation to avoid problems with the controlled substance act which defines what is a legal prescription for a controlled substance.  Federal law is stricter and thus it prevails.  Notice, no major retailer touches marijuana.  If they have a pharmacy,  they can lose their dea license over it 

Supplements cannot make medical claims.  They are treated like food.  Non FDA approved substances cannot make medical claims.  It can be dicey for a drug manufacturer to talk about off label uses of their fda approved medication.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Hey Mods…

Nearly 95% of this thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with cruising.

May be time to lock it down?? 

Maybe hit those three dots next to a post and report it to the mods the proper way?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Fair enough. I get what you are laying down and appreciate the time you took to reply. I referenced the Harvard study in response to your claim that these chemicals are only found on the black market.

I was wrong about that; I should have clarified I'm talking about illness or death due to popcorn lung and vaping, and the ones I've been able to find are not related to either nicotine vapes or the chemcial dicetyl.

So background: The "popcorn lung" cases from vaping cannabis were around July 2019 (an article on it when the problems were first reported is here). This was a huge story at the time because of the deaths - about 50 IIRC. At first, the illnesses were thought to be from nicotine vapes, but they were all from cannabis vapes (the victims were probably hesitant to say they had illegally vaped cannabis). All but a couple were from black market cannabis vapes. There was a supplier to some smaller vape manufacturers that was selling the problem additive too. The majority were black market cannabis vapes.

The illnesses were not caused by dicetyl. It was from vitamin E acetate, an additive that some vapes contained. It was only in cannabis vapes as it has the right properties to be able to "stretch" the amount of THC in a vape without thinning down the liquid too much. Nicotine vapes don't need this. The only good write up of the incident I've seen is from a cannabis industry source, Leafly and it's here.

Good discussion!

And you're right; cannabis still remains illegal at all US ports, and the Feds can search you (no 4th Amendment guarantees at ports) and can arrest you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sunny aurora said:

They are still breaking the law.  You can be arrested at any time per federal law if you have marijuana.  For an individual to legally have a controlled substance, he or she must have a prescription for a legitimate medical purpose.  Maintenance of an addict is not a legitimate reason except in limited circumstances with methadone and suboxone.  There is no such thing as a legal prescription for marijuana because it's not fda approved.  The states which have "medical" marijuana don't call it a prescription but a recommendation to avoid problems with the controlled substance act which defines what is a legal prescription for a controlled substance.  Federal law is stricter and thus it prevails.  Notice, no major retailer touches marijuana.  If they have a pharmacy,  they can lose their dea license over it 

Supplements cannot make medical claims.  They are treated like food.  Non FDA approved substances cannot make medical claims.  It can be dicey for a drug manufacturer to talk about off label uses of their fda approved medication.

I think we are primarily in agreement. The point I had made that medical marijuana wasn’t actually a prescription since marijuana isn’t fda approved. As far as being arrested federally. Maybe technically possible. But it would be extremely dicey to arrest someone federally for something that had been legalized on the state level; unless it was within a federal jurisdiction like crossing state lines. One could make a claim for constitutional violation of improper search and seizure.  

federal courts and prosecutors are very selective about the cases they will prosecute. I can’t believe any federal agent or court would touch a personal use marijuana charge in a legalized state.

Edited by sanger727

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

One could make a claim for constitutional violation of improper search and seizure.  

I'd LOVE to hear about THAT argument.

Technically, in a port you're in federal jurisdiction.  MOST people traveling through the port are going to be coming from out of state.  It could be reasonable to assume that the traveler brought the product from home, having crossed state lines to get to the port and thus violating federal law and currently standing in a federal jurisdiction where the product is still illegal.  No, they can't just search someone, but if they have a reasonable suspicion through behavior or some other method they certainly could.

If you're speaking of every day travel on roads between states, there MAY be an argument there.

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Technically, in a port you're in federal jurisdiction.  MOST people traveling through the port are going to be coming from out of state.  It could be reasonable to assume that the traveler brought the product from home, having crossed state lines to get to the port and thus violating federal law and currently standing in a federal jurisdiction where the product is still illegal.  No, they can't just search someone, but if they have a reasonable suspicion through behavior or some other method they certainly could.

If you're speaking of every day travel on roads between states, there MAY be an argument there.

No. I’m speaking about someone who lives in Colorado purchasing and possessing marijuana in Colorado. Airports, seaports, anything federally controlled, and crossing state lines is federal jurisdiction. All bets are off. The person I quoted wasn’t discussing travel. Simply that possession by anyone, anywhere could lead to arrest.

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

If you are going through customs at the border, though, they can just search you.  They don't need probable cause.   It's the exemption to the law because it's viewed as protecting the country.