Medical marijuana

Pookie092403

Guest Conduct Policy...

DRUGS OR OTHER ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
No illegal drugs or other illegal substances including but not limited to medical marijuana are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, during shore excursions or at our private island. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken,which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Norwegian Cruise Line ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

NCL cruise ships are foreign flagged and sail International itineraries. Many of these international destinations have harsh laws against cannabis. USA federal law treats carrying cannabis across USA international; borders as a felony. 

NCL and all cruise lines prohibit such products. If caught you will be turned over to local authorities.

(My personal views for what they are worth is to find the prohibitions counterproductive.)

• Like 2

I have smelled the sticky icky on many cruises but not on the last one to Bermuda. That port has a reputation for bringing dogs on board and they can find it even when locked in the room safe. Don't bring it there for sure.

With the Unlimited Beverages it would be a waste, IMHO, and many people don't like the smell. Don't smoke in the room either, even smoking tobacco in your room can get you a $250 cleaning fee.

I get the “no medical marijuana” and the reasons, but I have to say for the LEGIT users it sucks;  My hubby has restless leg syndrome (short description:  he kicks the heck out of me all night in his sleep and he barely sleeps).  After 4 or 5 neurologists and sleep doctors,and upteen different prescription meds, none of which helped more than minimally (Lyrica helped the most, at $2k/prescription) out of desperation he went to a medical marijuana dr. And got approved—and he uses two tinctures (not smokable) which HELPS!  NOTHING ELSE has come close to working

So now we have cruises coming up and I don’t know what we will do to control his RLS because we clearly can’t bring his tinctures along.  Maybe back to lyrica, which causes withdrawals when you stop taking it.

Wish there was some common sense in the laws!

• Like 3

Unfortunately the laws that allow you to use medical marijuana back home don’t protect you aboard a foreign flagged ship that visits other countries. The cruise line can impose whatever rules it wants.

One example is alcohol and drinking age.Even if the drinking age where you’re from, or where the ship is sailing from, or at the ports of call that you’re visiting is lower, the cruise line can still impose a more restrictive minimum age to drink onboard. And you need to abide by it. Same applies to medical marijuana. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeyancho said:

The OP uses a vape pen.  Zero smell. 

That's not entirely true. I've been around a lot of pot pens and it's often obviously pot. To be fair I've been around a lot more legal pens than illegal ones (and it's the illegal pens that have problems with being cut with other stuff).

Hubby’s medical marijuana is a tincture, which is a liquid.  he’s supposed to put a couple of drops under his tongue.  We clearly won’t bring it along, but it obviously wouldn’t smell or bother anyone.  It’s just a liquid medicine, like pepto-bismol or robitussin, just treats a different illness/symptom.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Hubby’s medical marijuana is a tincture, which is a liquid.  he’s supposed to put a couple of drops under his tongue.  We clearly won’t bring it along, but it obviously wouldn’t smell or bother anyone.  It’s just a liquid medicine, like pepto-bismol or robitussin, just treats a different illness/symptom.

Here's an interesting article that may be useful for those using tincture...... nothing is preventing you from getting a trial size mouthwash, cleaning it out and placing 20 drops in it.....   until dogs / technology catch up there is still a risk but may be worth it if things are as bad as you say. Just bring medical documentation that can be given to your defense lawyer if needed... 

https://greenremedy.com/journal/do-drug-dogs-smell-hemp-extracted-cbd-oil/

6 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Here's an interesting article that may be useful for those using tincture...... nothing is preventing you from getting a trial size mouthwash, cleaning it out and placing 20 drops in it.....   until dogs / technology catch up there is still a risk but may be worth it if things are as bad as you say. Just bring medical documentation that can be given to your defense lawyer if needed... 

https://greenremedy.com/journal/do-drug-dogs-smell-hemp-extracted-cbd-oil/

Unfortunately there's very little regulation when it comes to CBD oil so you're relying on the company to ensure that it doesn't have an THC in it. Plus the OP has specifically mentioned medical marijuana so they very may well have a THC version. 

The medical documentation won't mean much in a country where medical marijuana is not legal. And most countries have laws against importing drugs - like marijuana is completely legal in Canada but it's still illegal to bring pot across their border (whether in or out). 

17 hours ago, erdoran said:

I get the “no medical marijuana” and the reasons, but I have to say for the LEGIT users it sucks;  My hubby has restless leg syndrome (short description:  he kicks the heck out of me all night in his sleep and he barely sleeps).  After 4 or 5 neurologists and sleep doctors,and upteen different prescription meds, none of which helped more than minimally (Lyrica helped the most, at $2k/prescription) out of desperation he went to a medical marijuana dr. And got approved—and he uses two tinctures (not smokable) which HELPS!  NOTHING ELSE has come close to working

So now we have cruises coming up and I don’t know what we will do to control his RLS because we clearly can’t bring his tinctures along.  Maybe back to lyrica, which causes withdrawals when you stop taking it.

Wish there was some common sense in the laws!

Lyrica went generic this past July.  It's now no more expensive than gabapentin.  

Every approved drug since the 1960s in the US has had to prove it is safe and effective.  I don't believe any proposed medication should be given the pass.  Placebo effect is a very real thing.  The study of it is fascinating.

23 hours ago, Pookie092403 said:

Are you allowed to bring medical marijuana on a cruise if you have a medical card/prescription for it! It’s in a vape pen. Asking for a friend!

Just like my teacher used to say when someone had some candy or something, "only if you bring enough for everyone on the ship".  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

I take pain meds that are considered a Narcotic. Am I going to have issues with bringing them on board ?

Last year I had to bring narcotic pain meds on my cruise. I had them in the original container, plus I had a picture of the original prescription on my phone. I didn't run into any issues.

We are not taking the risk of bringing med. marijuana.  We will deal.  Narcotics, drugs, etc, with a legit prescription in original bottle ought to be just fine, with the exception of some Arab countries that prohibit them altogether no matter what—there was a long list from one of them, I forget which.  But under normal circumstances legit meds are just that - legit with documentation.  Medical marijuana is a special case unto itself.

7 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

I take pain meds that are considered a Narcotic. Am I going to have issues with bringing them on board ?

As others have said, no, just be sure to bring them in the Rx container with the label (which is a good practice when you are traveling with any prescription drug, narcotic or not).   Also, if you are going to be traveling in any foreign countries (and especially if you are flying in), do check out their rules about bringing in prescription drugs.  Some have limits on the number of pills, some prohibit specific drugs whatsoever, some require a doctor's letter, etc.