Power adapter

GrannyAnnie70

With the US 110 you will not need a plug adapter, it will be just like at home.  If you have any items that are dual voltage, you can plug them into the 220 v outlet with an adapter that has two round pins.  You can get them online or at Walmart or any luggage store.

enhance

enhance

Thankyou Essiemom….but we are from Australia and our plugs are different. So it looks like I should buy one like the one pictured that will adapt to our Australian one. I get very confused. Have you cruised on this ship before as there a few things I want to find out.....such as, can you take any alcohol onboard.

Cheers,

Sorry, I assumed since you are from WA, that stood for the state of Washington in the US.  US outlets have two flat prongs like this:

enhance

One of the flat prongs might be wider, making it polarized.  Most of our dual voltage electronics do not have the third round prong or the wider prong. 

For more info about this ship I would ask on the board here for Royal Caribbean, and/or the board here for Australia/NZ cruisers.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

OP: since you are an Aussie, the female end of any adapter you buy should be able to accept the usual male plug of your Aussie appliance/device. The male end of one of your Aussie adapters should be a US two parallel blade plug to fit in to the cabin's US female outlet (110 volts) while the the male end of your other Aussie adapter should be a Euro two parallel round pin plug to fit into the cabin's Euro female ourlet (220 volts).

Unless your devices/appliances are dual voltage  (i.e., printed 110-240 on the item), do not try plugging 110 into 220 or vice versa.

2 minutes ago, GrannyAnnie70 said:

Thank you for the reply Flatbush Flyer. I have a US one with the two parallel blades. It has written on it...Total loading 10A  120V AC. So it looks like it's the one I need. Thanks for your advice. Anne.

That will work for the US female outlet in your cabin and  your 110-120 volt appliances. But, you'll also need one with Euro male pins for the Euro female outlet in the cabin if you want to use that outlet for 220 volt devices (or dual power ones).

your best bet is to buy a travel adapter set, where each adapter will have the same Aussie female end (for your device plugs) and a different male end to be used appropriately in various countries.

Goodness....it's getting very confusing for an old lady!! We are having 3 nights in Singapore and I have an adapter for Singapore which I can use for my phone charger. We will only be charging on the ship apart from that so the one I have SHOULD work for us!!  Here's hoping anyway. Thank you.

Does Quantum of the Seas have USB outlets?  Then you wouldn't need any adapter to charge your phone, just plug the USB charging cable into the USB outlet.

(ask on the RCI board or perhaps someone who knows will post here!) 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Does Quantum of the Seas have USB outlets?  Then you wouldn't need any adapter to charge your phone, just plug the USB charging cable into the USB outlet.

(ask on the RCI board or perhaps someone who knows will post here!) 

While a cruise ship's USBs may not be a concern, "juice jacking" (hacking of cellular data somewhat like credit card skimming at a gas station) at public USB charging kiosks (e.g., at airports) has started to become problematic enough that sales of USB charger condoms (yes, Google it) are on the rise.

So, don't leave your USB charger power adapters home.

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While a cruise ship's USBs may not be a concern, "juice jacking" (hacking of cellular data somewhat like credit card skimming at a gas station) at public USB charging kiosks (e.g., at airports) has started to become problematic enough that sales of USB charger condoms (yes, Google it) are on the rise.

So, don't leave your USB charger power adapters home.

Juice jacking is technically possible but it is only hypothetical. There have been no cases of it found to be actually happening or happened in the real world. Makes for great media hysteria and spreading fear. I would not worry about using USB outlets on a cruise ship. I would not worry at an airport either at this time. Juice Jacking would be so complicated it begs the question of why the bad guys and scammers would do it when there are a lot easier ways.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Juice jacking is technically possible but it is only hypothetical. There have been no cases of it found to be actually happening or happened in the real world. Makes for great media hysteria and spreading fear. I would not worry about using USB outlets on a cruise ship. I would not worry at an airport either at this time. Juice Jacking would be so complicated it begs the question of why the bad guys and scammers would do it when there are a lot easier ways.

Despite any media hype about "what if," the reality is that tech changes daily. Awareness is never a bad thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/15/los-angeles-juice-jacking-usb/amp/

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Despite any media hype about "what if," the reality is that tech changes daily. Awareness is never a bad thing:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/15/los-angeles-juice-jacking-usb/amp/

The article you link to says there have been no cases. So I would call the LA Times article that the New York Times and other media outlets picked up to be media hype. I would even call it fake news. Yes, tech does change and maybe this potential vulnerability will be exploited someday but it is complicated enough that is may not be exploited. There are easier ways. Time will tell. I would not trust the LA Times, New York Times, Fox News or CNN for tech information or news. Those outlets are mainly entertainement and advertising outlets.

Edited by Charles4515

18 hours ago, GrannyAnnie70 said:

Hello,  can anyone show me a picture of the power adapter I will need on the Quantum of the Seas cruising out of Singapore. I was told I need a US 110v  or   EUOR220v but have no idea what to look for. Thanks in advance.

I bet you would get an authoritative answer along with specific recommendations on this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

Have a great cruise.