Christmas Dinner Attire

Samanthac25

I will be on a Christmas cruise this year (first time over Christmas and our first HAL Cruise). The HAL rep I spoke with recently said our Gala nights will be on our sea days (12/23 and 12/26). Since Christmas isn’t technically a gala night, I’m wondering what the norm is for Christmas dinner attire on HAL? I know the MDR “rules” and etiquette when it comes to attire but am wondering if people treat Christmas like a gala night or if it’s just business as usual? Just wondering if we should plan to be dressier than usual for Christmas dinner or if we’d look out of place if we were. Thanks in advance! 

I would bring an emerald green sequin top. I would wear it with black (everyday) leggings -- no one is looking at my legs! I would wear it for both Gala nights, Xmas eve and Xmas night. I'm never going to see those people again! Just don't spill (or sweat too much)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always do a Christmas Holiday Cruise.  Previously the Gala night was Christmas Eve, but on our last cruise it was noted in the program, Gala would be on Christmas Day.  We ran to the Hotel Directors right away and ask why the change.  His response was the officer will be in their "Dress Blues" both nights.  We said we will go Gala on the traditional eve.  I would say we were not alone and a high substantial number of the guest did the same.  No idea what happened Christmas day because we went to another dining location.

• Thanks 1

My experience on more than one HAL holiday cruise:  Christmas Eve dress is formal/gala.  Christmas Day was smart casual.  Even on Christmas Day, many of us gentlemen dressed in coat/tie.  I wore my tux on Christmas Eve.  On neither evening did I feel over-dressed.   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My experience on more than one HAL holiday cruise:  Christmas Eve dress is formal/gala.  Christmas Day was smart casual.  Even on Christmas Day, many of us gentlemen dressed in coat/tie.  I wore my tux on Christmas Eve.  On neither evening did I feel over-dressed.   

We have been on many Holiday Cruises with HAL. This has been our experience as well--Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve dress was formal/gala. Christmas Day & New Year's Day was smart casual. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 11:48 PM, KENCHURCH said:

Christmas Eve usually a bit more dressy than Christmas but anymore with airline restrictions, people don’t bring what they used to bring... enjoy! We will be on the Volendam this holiday season. Ken 

Thanks! We will be on  Nieuw Amsterdam and are SO excited 🙂