Balcony Room with Small Children?

Deptacon

Hey Everyone,

Been on dozens of cruises before, and the wife and I have been on the Bliss - But I have been wrangled into planning a thanksgiving cruise which includes family members. More Importantly - My brother with my young niece and nephew. We are looking at the Bliss 2020 for Thanksgiving - ALL of the Ocean-view family rooms are gone. 

Thoughts on the Balcony.... We had safety concerns when we thought about it. I know how the doors work - yet since I dont have kids I never bother to look and or understand the locking mechanism while onboard. Im sure my brother and I can rig something up to make it even more secure or bring a bracing bar as well. They are 6 and 3....the 3 year old treats the world around him as a personal jungle gym.

Edited by Deptacon
more info

I am comfortable in a balcony room with my kids (currently 2 and almost 6), knowing that they are NEVER out of eyesight of an adult when on a cruise. We also communicate clearly which adult is responsible for them -- like making a comment about "keep an eye on her, I'm running to the bathroom now".

Our first cruise was when my youngest were 4, has no issue with a balcony, and 1of the 4 year olds was a bit crazy. He actually managed to get away from us in the buffet on embarkment and we found him in the cabin. My rule was no balcony without an adult, and stay a step back. I really drilled it into the kids.

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Balcony doors are sometimes hard to open as an adult. I think it would be near impossible for small kids to open them. I haven't been on a balcony on the Bliss, but I think most of the newer ships come with a lock up top on the balcony door. 

I second this. Sometimes those doors are a pain to open and even just to turn the handle 🤣 I don't think any young kid will be able to open those doors!

12 minutes ago, Greek Boss said:

I second this. Sometimes those doors are a pain to open and even just to turn the handle 🤣

I'm in favor of this "motion" that it isn't easy to swing or flip that handle 90 degree to lock/unlock the sliding balcony door (Breakaway & Escape)  There is (by design, should be on all the ships - including Bliss, Joy, Encore, etc.) an extra safety lock/sliding bolt mechanism near the top of the sliding door frame - from inside the stateroom.  

I wouldn't under-estimate the 6 or 7 years old ability to figure this out - especially s/he watch the adults locking it.  Think about it, 3 and 4 years old had been known to fall out of high-rise building with window guards, sadly.

However, to do that -a chair, stool or other means - needed to reach high up, remove that and it's less likely and limit the odds.  There is a single sitting stool in these staterooms - put that out on the balcony before locking up the sliding door from the inside.  Wait, children should NOT and never be left unattended in the cabin without an adult being there to supervise ... use KidQuest or whatever other resources are available !!

23 hours ago, Deptacon said:

Hey Everyone,

Been on dozens of cruises before, and the wife and I have been on the Bliss - But I have been wrangled into planning a thanksgiving cruise which includes family members. More Importantly - My brother with my young niece and nephew. We are looking at the Bliss 2020 for Thanksgiving - ALL of the Ocean-view family rooms are gone. 

Thoughts on the Balcony.... We had safety concerns when we thought about it. I know how the doors work - yet since I dont have kids I never bother to look and or understand the locking mechanism while onboard. Im sure my brother and I can rig something up to make it even more secure or bring a bracing bar as well. They are 6 and 3....the 3 year old treats the world around him as a personal jungle gym.

Remember the 3 year old will be 4 by then and if watched closely which I am sure he will be there should be no problems I know what you are concerned about but everything should be fine 

23 hours ago, Deptacon said:

The balcony doors on the Bliss have a child safety lock high up on the door frame in addition to the normal handle. Double safety for the little ones.