Nieuw Amsterdam Obstructed View Rooms

Samanthac25

I was originally booked on a guaranteed inside stateroom but opted to upgrade when I received the email offer to move to an obstructed outside view. Since it was only $39/pp and I liked the idea of natural light to know what time of day it is when I wake up (😆), I went for it... Now that it's done, I can't help wondering if I sacrificed privacy. From what I understand, it's a full ceiling to floor window obstructed by a life boat... Does anyone know if crew members typically work on/in the life boats while cruising? Is privacy going to be concern at all if the curtains are open? Thanks in advance 🙂 

Edited by Samanthac25

Yes, workers do go out there, so at the very least close the curtains at night (you may be able to leave the draperies open, especially if you get up before they would be working). Be careful to close them when you change for dinner, though, as the windows are not coated for privacy.

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Yes, workers do go out there, so at the very least close the curtains at night (you may be able to leave the draperies open, especially if you get up before they would be working). Be careful to close them when you change for dinner, though, as the windows are not coated for privacy.

Thank you, Ruth! 

25 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

I was originally booked on a guaranteed inside stateroom but opted to upgrade when I received the email offer to move to an obstructed outside view. Since it was only $39/pp and I liked the idea of natural light to know what time of day it is when I wake up (😆), I went for it... Now that it's done, I can't help wondering if I sacrificed privacy. From what I understand, it's a full ceiling to floor window obstructed by a life boat... Does anyone know if crew members typically work on/in the life boats while cruising? Is privacy going to be concern at all if the curtains are open? Thanks in advance 🙂 

The obstructed view cabins are a good alternative to an inside cabin, though there will be a strong "orange" presence due to the color of the lifeboats!  :-)   (not really a problem) 

We have booked these cabin before with no complaints.

igraf

• Like 2

We just returned from a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam with an obstructed view.  We were pleasantly surprised that we could see over the lifeboat as it only obstructed 2/3 of the window.  We never saw any crew members outside our window.  We love these rooms, they are as big as balcony rooms with the small couch too and lots of natural light! 

13 minutes ago, igraf said:

there will be a strong "orange" presence due to the color of the lifeboats!  🙂 (not really a problem)

Have one booked on Zuiderdam. I hope the orange doesn’t mess up my retinas, like that episode of Seinfeld. 😱😀😃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, projecthandbag said:

We just returned from a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam with an obstructed view.  We were pleasantly surprised that we could see over the lifeboat as it only obstructed 2/3 of the window.  We never saw any crew members outside our window.  We love these rooms, they are as big as balcony rooms with the small couch too and lots of natural light! 

Thanks for the info! This makes me feel better 🙂 

• Like 1

I have stayed in those rooms and they are a great alternative to inside rooms.  I travel solo so the prices of these rooms are not that much higher than an inside room.  I only saw workers on the lifeboats twice.  If your cruise is about a month or so away, I would call HAL and see if they are offering any upsells.  I am going on the NA this Saturday (14 days) and our roll call members have been inundated with upsells.  I have moved from an Inside MM guarantee to an obstructed cabin, and yesterday I was able to get a VC for a very reasonable rate even though I have to pay double as a solo.  First time ever that I've been able to afford a verandah when cruising by myself.  The number to call IS 1.888.628.8107 or 206.626.7381.  Make sure you have your reservation number handy.  They will give you the number of the cabin and you can decide which one is good for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dot73 said:

I have stayed in those rooms and they are a great alternative to inside rooms.  I travel solo so the prices of these rooms are not that much higher than an inside room.  I only saw workers on the lifeboats twice.  If your cruise is about a month or so away, I would call HAL and see if they are offering any upsells.  I am going on the NA this Saturday (14 days) and our roll call members have been inundated with upsells.  I have moved from an Inside MM guarantee to an obstructed cabin, and yesterday I was able to get a VC for a very reasonable rate even though I have to pay double as a solo.  First time ever that I've been able to afford a verandah when cruising by myself.  The number to call IS 1.888.628.8107 or 206.626.7381.  Make sure you have your reservation number handy.  They will give you the number of the cabin and you can decide which one is good for you.

Thanks, Dot! I ended up with my obstructed view room through an upsell from an inside. I would LOVE to move to a VC but we are sailing on 12/21 over Christmas and imagine they are probably booked. I will definitely call and check though! Thanks again!

Edited by Samanthac25

These cabins are all sorts in respect to what you can see out. Once in a while you do have crew out there working.  I don't think they can see into the cabin much, if at all, in the daylight, which is the only time they would be up there.  You will see them easily so just close the curtains and you'll be fine.

This upsell is the way to go and I hope you enjoy the cabin and the cruise!

43 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

These cabins are all sorts in respect to what you can see out. Once in a while you do have crew out there working.  I don't think they can see into the cabin much, if at all, in the daylight, which is the only time they would be up there.  You will see them easily so just close the curtains and you'll be fine.

This upsell is the way to go and I hope you enjoy the cabin and the cruise!

Thank you!! 

I've stayed in these cabins a few times, and noticed there's a film on the window, both inside and out.  

On a sunny day, when you're walking on the promenade, glance up at them and you'll see the mirror effect.  

And if you see a crew member on the catwalk, do what I did ... Make faces at them, and check if they see you. 🤣

But they can't, so there's nothing to be concerned about. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samanthac25 said:

Does anyone know if crew members typically work on/in the life boats while cruising?

I don't think crew would normally be out there while the ship is moving.  We've had a couple of the G or H cabins and have never seen anyone out there even when the ship was stationary. I don't think it happens often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, projecthandbag said:

What deck and room # did you have? 

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Thank you!  I am looking at a deck 4 obstructed view ...

Cabins forward of mid-ship next to the turtle-shell lifeboats (4055>4092) are less obstructed than those aft of center (4093>4130)  that are next to the taller tender lifeboats. Many pictures here: http://halfacts.com/signature-class/

1 hour ago, Cruise4food said:

Good news for my 4055 booking.

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

Cabins forward of mid-ship next to the turtle-shell lifeboats (4055>4092) are less obstructed than those aft of center (4093>4130)  that are next to the taller tender lifeboats. Many pictures here: http://halfacts.com/signature-class/

Also good news for my 4067 booking!