Summit out of San Juan - two questions

Hidden Minnie

We're sailing to the ABC islands out of San Juan in April 2020. Two short questions to help us select a pre-cruise hotel....

1. Which dock will the Summit leave from?

2. Sheraton Old San Juan - anyone have thoughts positive or negative? Is a Junior Suite worth it over a regular King room?

Thanks - I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.....

1 minute ago, Hidden Minnie said:

We're sailing to the ABC islands out of San Juan in April 2020. Two short questions to help us select a pre-cruise hotel....

2. Sheraton Old San Juan - anyone have thoughts positive or negative? Is a Junior Suite worth it over a regular King room?

The Summit will be leaving from the Pan Am pier. 

1 hour ago, Hidden Minnie said:

1. Pan Am pier which is not in OSJ.  It's a short taxi/shuttle ride away, though.

2. The Sheraton OSJ is in a fantastic location right in the middle of the action.  My experience at the hotel was that it was adequate - less than what I would expect from a Sheraton elsewhere.  However, if you want to experience OSJ, it's one of the few choices.  Check out the El Convento for another option.

As others have said, the Summit will leave from the Pan Am pier.  Although it looks close enough, I think the Uber ride took at least 20-25 minutes from the Sheraton to the pier.

With respect to the Sheraton Old San Juan, we stayed there one night pre-cruise in October.  It is in a good location, but I was very disappointed in the hotel rooms.  Very dated and dinghy. 

While walking around OSJ, I saw the El Convento - it looked amazing, and I will probably stay there the next time I need to spend the night in OSJ.  I would not stay at the Sheraton again.

I've heard great things about El Covento (including the above comments), but I wholeheartedly recommend Casablanca if you're looking for a really nice place to stay.  Best part of it all is that it's across the street from Punta de Vista restaurant which has excellent food and service!

• Like 2

Thanks, Everyone! That's disappointing to hear about the Sheraton.  There are some great deals on it through Costco. I'll definitely consider the Casablanca, but I doubt I could convince my 6'4" husband to share a queen bed at El Convento. Does anyone know anything about either Villa Herencia or Decanter Hotel?

We are booked at the Sheraton for two nights pre=cruise 30-2 May. El convento required minimum two night stay and of our dates , one night was not available., The Charm of the Sheraton is the location, right at the pier where ships on day visits  dock. We usually sit on the balcony, watching the ships and they are so close, really a great experience. It is not your usual Cat 5 Sheraton Hotel, but still decent.

37167A3F-9C38-4620-9349-5F79DE9FB436.jpeg

660A3AF0-B3BE-406E-BDE1-A2E7A78978DF.jpeg

01A90457-DD99-4A73-8CC0-A42000E789B3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hidden Minnie said:

Does anyone know anything about either Villa Herencia or Decanter Hotel?

The Decanter rang a bell for me from one of Mitsugirly's great reviews , so I searched and I found it (her 2018 RCI Jewel of the Seas cruise) and have linked below. Lots of info, most starts at page 29 post #712 with good pictures inside and out (BTW she liked it):

Hi!  We stayed in a Jr. Suite at the Sheraton for our pre Summit cruise night 2 weeks ago.  The room had nice space, was clean, and comfortable, but the balcony view was the pits!  We looked out over a parking lot that trash dumpsters were coming in and out of.  I immediately went back to the front desk to see if we could get another room, and was told none of the Jr. Suites faced the water.  I shared that was not what the hotel pictures on line showed and got a shoulder shrug along with the comment those were "portfolio pictures".  I tried to move to a full suite with a view but they were booked up.  The front desk clerk could have cared less.  The hotel is in a convenient location but was very disappointed in the Jr. Suite.  

I'm a big guy too and I an say Casablanca is always our first choice when staying in San Juan.     We're sailing on Summit to the ABCs in February and will spend two nights pre cruise at Casablanca.     You can always get a room with two beds and spread out for a couple nights.    Super funky little hotel.   Very different from a typical chain stay.    And the location can't be beat.     A cab ride from the airport or to the Pan American pier is easy peasy.

We stayed at the Sheraton OSJ for the first time last year. Booked a regular room on Hotwire and really enjoyed our stay. Liked hanging by the pool on the roof and the location was great. We have also stayed at Casablanca (our favorite), Villa Herencia (very cool old hotel), El Convento (only because we got a great deal on Hotwire-but it was very nice), SJ Suites (never again!) and this year we are trying the Decanter Hotel. You really can't go wrong with any location in OSJ since every place is very easily walkable. 

Thanks everyone - we ended up going a different direction and getting a King Corner Room at the Doubletree San Juan for under $200 a night plus resort fees. Since it's Easter weekend we wanted to have a beach close by in case Old San Juan is primarily closed.....