Project Runway

retiring soon

I was hoping the judges would take Sergio down a peg or two and eliminate him, but as usual, I was disappointed. Also not a fan of Nancy, who does the same thing every week just like Victoria does. Guess I am team Jeffrey, but he's a mess with his lack of confidence.

I'll watch the final, but I don't really care who wins at this point. 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I was hoping the judges would take Sergio down a peg or two and eliminate him, but as usual, I was disappointed. Also not a fan of Nancy, who does the same thing every week just like Victoria does. Guess I am team Jeffrey, but he's a mess with his lack of confidence.

I'll watch the final, but I don't really care who wins at this point. 🙄

Agreed. 100%

P.S. All hail the mighty FIFE (tiara in your signature). Are you a former Order of Splendor blog follower too?

10 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Agreed. 100%

P.S. All hail the mighty FIFE (tiara in your signature). Are you a former Order of Splendor blog follower too?

LOL--yes! That photo is from my visit to Kensington Palace in 2015 (I think, can't remember). They had the Fife on display. It's gorgeous.

Project Runway should do a tiara challenge! 😇

• Like 1

A tiara challenge, what a fabulous idea! I recalled truly liking Brittany’s original butterfly dress, but was appalled when I saw it again on the last episode - it was nothing like I remembered it! Ha ha.  Sorry all. 
The collections were beautifully displayed at that NY location. Was impressed with Jeffreys manipulation of his material. I’m glad he made it to the finals. Visually Sergio’s train was stunning on the stairs. Looking forward to the finals... I Honestly don’t care who wins either. I’ve enjoyed this season.

• Like 2

I thought the last challenge was so smart...having the designers have a micro collection...bringing back two previous looks...what a great show that was. It really brings home the idea of which designer do you want to see a collection from? I think I agree with the judges decision on who is moving forward.

Geoffrey is my fave...I like the way he talks and the way he thinks about things. I think that he has an openness to criticism while having a strong POV...Christian will say things to him and it's like a light bulb going off...where his thoughts were scattered or heading down a certain path...he redefines his vision into something better than originally thought. It shows the potential for growth and development. 

Sergio is bothersome with his political statements. I get having an inspiration but IDK...it feels forced...the one challenge that brought back the previous designers to help...that was just UGH. I think he is a fine tailor and a smart designer, having done enough to show that he could put together an interesting collection while usually doing work that he knows he can get done in the time allowed. 

The other two...while they seem to have a "wheel house" that they rely on...so much so that it gets a bit boring, there is enough variation is what they have put out to think that they have more ideas, just maybe not the time to get them done.

I don't know how many designers get to create collections IRL. I feel confident in saying that at least the last 6 had collections at fashion week....IDK if any other eliminated designers also got to show. I bet that a google search would yield the different collections that were shown...but I don't want to search until after the finale...I like to be surprised and not know what the looks are beforehand...though I know in seasons past it has been possible to see all the collections' looks before the finale.

HI all!

Looking forward to tonight's show. I think this one is my fav when they visit the designers at their home/studio.

I think the judges picked the right people to go forward, annoying as 2 of them are!!

See you sometime after the show.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frakkles said:

Let’s wait until 3/19, one week post finale, then talk about the collections.  Do you think that is enough time for all to have watched the finale? 

Yes. Frankly people who don't want to know who won shouldn't read the thread after the finale airs. 😉

• Like 3

OK! I can't remember exactly when I did it...but I did a marathon of watching PR...every episode that I had access to online that I could get through my current subscriptions. I think I could get started with Season 5? Not sure. There were some things that became clearer and clearer with each season, each episode...Nina Garcia is the most consistent person...wow...and she is most interested in seeing creativity and newness of ideas. It's okay to be inspired by someone...but run with it and don't have the reference be so obvious. Bring something new to the design.

They also seem to usually be more impressed with people that are showing growth. It's not where you start in the competition, it is the perception of how you are growing in the competition. It's a bit unfair almost...because they want to see how you respond to judges feedback...but at the same time...not losing yourself in response to the feedback. How can you develop your core as a designer, what makes you unique, to address concerns and criticisms?

So I kind of thought that one comment made in Part 1 of the finale gave away who was going to win. They said that Geoffrey was a deep well of ideas and I can't recall exactly how they described Sergio...because I felt that the description of Sergio was very much a description of myself...and so I've internalized the comment a bit. Something along the lines of being a good editor...taking a look at current ideas and being able to expand and/or improve upon them, but ultimately, not really showing a wealth of original thought.

It seems that they want to pick a winner that demonstrates that they are teachable (capable of growth), is developing or has a clear point of view or style, and has something new to offer to the fashion world. The collection is just the means to showcase that...not necessarily make clothes that everyone likes the best. 

I can't recall which week it was, but the comment for Sergio's design was along the lines of what the person he was designing for normally would be wearing in the more modern situation...IDK...I can't remember exactly...but it seems to me that they were always wanting Sergio to be thinking forward more.

When Christian put on the that one coat of Geoffrey's...that huge, absolutely oversized, black puffer, puff ball of a coat...and he was laughing and had so much fun with it...I was thinking...yeah...it's weird and it's not practical at all...but it's fun and different and very runway...very editorial. 

I liked Geoffrey a lot...I think he was very honest during the show...I think that being in that situation of that competition may make you feel scatterbrained and a bit crazy...but I've seen so many creatives like that. And when they get their thoughts out...when they talk about it...putting into words and almost hearing themselves speak their struggle, they usually are able to work out their dilemma and move forward.

I really like the revamp of PR. A lot. I think that the winning mentorship is one of the best ideas. I think Christian is one of the more successful PR winners because he might have had a mentor...or at least a clue because didn't he work for some designer in London before coming to PR? 

• Like 3

I agree that Geoffrey showed the most growth,  and the most potential for developing ideas in the future. I am for sure no designer, but I feel some editorial looks have the potential to translate into more mainstream looks, and that may have appealed to the judges. That black puffer coat was a hoot on Christian,  for sure!

Well said and thoughtful comments Anita! The black puffer jacket looked like the model was wearing the world on his shoulders - so impractical but impacting nonetheless! I absolutely loved the brocaded pant and sheer top with brocade squares covering the model’s breast. Geoffrey is completely versatile and creative. That is what I thought about Christian during his season. The judges felt Geoffrey’s designs could be adjusted to sell to the public.  

Serena Williams was greatly impressed with Sergio’s designs. Would not be surprised if she expands her fashion line to include his upscale designs...either partnering with him or backing him.  I truly loved some of his designs and choice of fabrics - gorgeous! Could have lived without the fringe though.

Victoria completely lost the season when she failed to remove her “signage/branding” on her outfits. Brandon was right - why? She isn’t a known designer yet. Dreams of grandeur for sure!  However, I did like her pleated capris on the first look. The rest were HoHum. 

Nancy, happy she made it to the finale, but she didn’t deliver anything noteworthy.

All the best to you. Stay healthy and safe.

Denise

I just finished watching the first episode...Making the Cut. There are only two episodes right now...so not sure WHEN on Fridays the new episodes are available...or which time zone?

Very interesting show...I'm excited for the format. It's fun to discover things on your own...so will not give anything away at this time, but there are some twists on the format that are new and unique. One thing is much more similar to the new Bravo format, where the winning look will be available for purchase immediately following the episode airing. This IS an Amazon show, so the availability of the design on Amazon is no surprise. The big difference is that EVERY winning design each week will be available for purchase. 

Any other Prime members out there? Anyone else able to watch this show?

On 3/20/2020 at 10:13 AM, Anita Latte said:

When Christian put on the that one coat of Geoffrey's...that huge, absolutely oversized, black puffer, puff ball of a coat...and he was laughing and had so much fun with it...I was thinking...yeah...it's weird and it's not practical at all...but it's fun and different and very runway...very editorial. 

OMG, that coat!!

Some of Geoffrey's designs for the finale (before he "edited" them somewhat) reminded me of a video from a group I liked a lot in the 1980s, New Order:

image.thumb.png.17a5992475f4a4ce9b94c22fa49275c5.png

LOL!

• 2 weeks later...