Cabin Category Questions

1st4our25th

I'm confused about cabin categories. Are the categories: inside, ov, balcony, suite, etc. or are they 4B, 4F, 8D, etc.? What do the different number/letter combinations mean?

When requesting a price reduction with ES which part is the part that has to be the same to receive the match? Sorry if that is a stupid question. 

I didn't have to worry with that on our last cruise because we had an OS on deck 7 and they honored it with deck 7 and deck 5 OS. This time we booked a lido balcony and an interior on lido. No price drops this far in advance, but I want to be prepared should they come in the future. Will we only be able to match cabins on lido or regular balcony/interior cabins anywhere on the ship?

From what I understand, the 4A 4B 4C... are all inside cabins and the higher the letter the more "desirable" Carnival deems the cabin to be (usually = higher decks).  Same for the other categories of rooms (ov, balcony...) but with different #/letter pairings.

I do believe that claiming price reduction has to be for either the same category (#/letter) as you booked or higher.  Meaning if you booked a 4J you can't claim a PR on a 4H, but you can possibly claim it for a 6A (and you should be able to move up to that room too if you so desire.

Hope that helps.  I'm sure others will have more details

• Like 1

Near the top of your booking cinfirmation, directly after the stateroom number, your cabin category is listed.  It may be two letters such as PT for porthole, or a number and a letter, such as 7B.

You must price match to exactly that same category with exactly the same number of people.

The deck plans show different colors for each cabin category and provide a legend to explain each one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

From what I understand, the 4A 4B 4C... are all inside cabins and the higher the letter the more "desirable" Carnival deems the cabin to be (usually = higher decks).  Same for the other categories of rooms (ov, balcony...) but with different #/letter pairings.

I do believe that claiming price reduction has to be for either the same category (#/letter) as you booked or higher.  Meaning if you booked a 4J you can't claim a PR on a 4H, but you can possibly claim it for a 6A (and you should be able to move up to that room too if you so desire.

Hope that helps.  I'm sure others will have more details

Do the numbers represent the deck the cabin is on?

I have had the same question. It seems to me that the cabin category numbers are an internal(to Carnival) assignment system to classify what they determine are a 'more desirable' location on a particular deck. It's a mystery to me. 

The letters can be on different decks.  Usually if the cabin is a midship cabin, then cabins on the next higher deck towards the front or the back will be in the same category. For example if you have a cabin midship on Empress the front cabins and the back cabins on Veranda deck will will be in the same category.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

The letters can be on different decks.  Usually if the cabin is a midship cabin, then cabins on the next higher deck towards the front or the back will be in the same category. For example if you have a cabin midship on Empress the front cabins and the back cabins on Veranda deck will will be in the same category.

This exactly.  I just grabbed an upgrade for my sister and her husband for our spring break cruise.  She went from a 7c (cove balcony) to an 8D (deck 9 forward).  8D was on 8 midship, or 9 forward or aft.  8E was 9 midship, 10 forward or aft, at least for what we saw.   

This is how they give one or two category upgrades on bookings - you book an 8c, they bump you up to 8d, or 8e, and call it an upgrade.  Not everybody thinks that is an upgrade, but that is how they classify it for the most part.  I am sure there are other factors at play as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

I'm confused about cabin categories. Are the categories: inside, ov, balcony, suite, etc. or are they 4B, 4F, 8D, etc.? What do the different number/letter combinations mean?

When requesting a price reduction with ES which part is the part that has to be the same to receive the match? Sorry if that is a stupid question. 

I didn't have to worry with that on our last cruise because we had an OS on deck 7 and they honored it with deck 7 and deck 5 OS. This time we booked a lido balcony and an interior on lido. No price drops this far in advance, but I want to be prepared should they come in the future. Will we only be able to match cabins on lido or regular balcony/interior cabins anywhere on the ship?

Go to a good site that has a large blow of of the deck plans. Each category is explained.

• Like 1

1A - Inside upper/lower (may or may not have a porthole window)

4A - Inside lowest deck front or Inside lowest deck aft

4B - Inside lowest deck middle or Inside 2nd lowest deck front/aft

4C - Inside 2nd lowest deck middle and Inside 3rd lowest deck front/aft

etc... for 4D, 4E, 4F, 4G, 4H

4J - Inside front of ship with full window/obstructed view

5A - Standard Porthole cabins used to be in this category.  I believe Carnival has re-categorized them as "PT", and they are priced based on category 4 now.

6A - Oceanview lowest deck front or aft

6B - Oceanview lowest deck middle or 2nd lowest deck front/aft

etc... 6C, 6D, 6E

7A - Obstructed balcony (some ships) or Cove Balcony (some ships).  For what it's worth, the obstructed view french door cabins that used to be on the Spirit class ships were categorized as 7A. 

8A - Balcony on lowest deck with regular balcony cabins toward the front or the rear of the ship.

8B - Balcony in the middle, but on the lowest deck that has balcony cabins; or on the next lowest deck with balcony cabins toward the front or back.

8C - Balcony in the middle of the 2nd lowest deck with balcony cabins, or the front or back of the third lowest deck with balcony cabins.

etc.... 8D, 8E, 8F, 8G

11 - JR Suites

12 - Ocean Suites

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rukkian said:

This exactly.  I just grabbed an upgrade for my sister and her husband for our spring break cruise.  She went from a 7c (cove balcony) to an 8D (deck 9 forward).  8D was on 8 midship, or 9 forward or aft.  8E was 9 midship, 10 forward or aft, at least for what we saw.   

This is how they give one or two category upgrades on bookings - you book an 8c, they bump you up to 8d, or 8e, and call it an upgrade.  Not everybody thinks that is an upgrade, but that is how they classify it for the most part.  I am sure there are other factors at play as well.

Actually, you book the 8C and the price is for a 8A

Thank you everyone for your replies. They sure helped me alot! I was able to see our categories on the deck plans and see the same categories on another deck. So as long as one is still available on either deck,  should there be a price reduction in the future, we can submit for ES. I'm glad that I now know what to look for. Thanks again!