Ignorant question re: Norway vs Iceland & Alaska

rachelfran

We are considering a cruise to Norway from Southampton.  We have done an extended land trip on Iceland recently and have done a land/cruise in and around Alaska.

Is a trip to Norway too similar to these locations?  We don't get to do these types of trips all that often and I'm tasked with finding us a way to celebrate

our 30th wedding anniversary either before or after a wedding we've been invited to in Italy in July.  Generally opting for cooler temps in the summer I started looking 

north.

Would love your opinions and forgive me for being ignorant on the matter.  I know each area has it's own positives but with limited funds and time, I welcome your opinions.

Rachel

Not ignorant...asked here from time to time.

The two areas are different. Unless you go far north in Norway, or to Greenland or Iceland, you will most likely see more glaciers in Alaska on a standard cruise. Both are very pretty in their own rights, but there are some differences. Norway has more beautiful results of all the glaciers, IMHO, but Alaska has more glaciers readily accessible.

I think it's very different, both in terms of scenery and culture. However, other cool(ish)-weather options include a British Isles cruise (including Ireland and Scotland, usually departing from Southampton) or a Baltic cruise (including the Nordic countries and St. Petersburg, departing from Copenhagen et al), if either interest you?

I have not been in Alaska - Iceland and Norway is very different. 
For me the highlight in  Norway is the deep fjords and the views from the mountains.

I’ll suggest an itinerary including scenic sailings and view points in Flåm and Geiranger and a visit to Bergen.

Here you have a taste of the fjords

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

We went to Alaska and I decided on a cruise to Norway because I am hoping to see more beautiful scenery.  I won’t be able to answer your question properly until July when I am back!  

However what do you think of the above video??  

An alternative as has been suggested is a Baltic Cruise.  We went a few years ago and absolutely loved it.  We went from Harwich but I think Copenhagen is a better departure port.  St Petersburg is the highlight and an overnighter.  There are companies that give you highlights over the 2 days which is a really good way to see the palaces.  

In the Baltic cruises there is history and scenery and fresh air - and Tallinn, such a lovely port to explore.  

Having been to all three, I would say they’re all quite different. Did you feel that Alaska and Iceland were similar? In what way?

I would summarize them as follows:

Alaska - Big tidewater glaciers. Wilderness. Whales. Mining history.

Iceland - Volcanic activity & hot springs. Waterfalls. Minimal vegetation. Accessible glaciers for active pursuits.

Norway - Deep dramatic fjords. Colorful wooden houses. Small villages and farms. (If you get up north, out of fjords, this changes a bit and you get some similarities to Iceland around the far north, but also some dramatic mountains in Lofoten and Tromsø that practically drop straight into the sea.)

My parents weren’t particularly interested in a cruise in Norway, because they’d “seen fjords in Alaska.” I dragged them anyway, because I think (and they agreed after) that they’re quite different. They’re so narrow with steep walls towering around you, that it’s hard not to feel the drama of the landscape.

If your only concern is that it might be too similar to your previous trips, I wouldn’t worry. The only similarities I can think of are: 1) The area around Nordkapp might feel a bit similar to the wide expanses of northeastern Iceland. 2) The Flåmsbana vaguely reminds me of the White Pass & Yukon Railroad in Skagway. The sail-in to (and out of) Flåm is unique and beautiful, and the scenery of the rail trip is a bit different, but the overall experience of battling crowds on a historic, scenic railroad has some similarities. (For the record, I think the Flåmsbana is both prettier and slightly less crowded, but that may just have been a matter of luck.)

Geiranger, Lofoten, and several of the other Norway ports are wholly unlike anywhere I’ve seen in Alaska or Iceland.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 3:44 AM, hallasm said:

I have not been in Alaska - Iceland and Norway is very different. 
For me the highlight in  Norway is the deep fjords and the views from the mountains.

I’ll suggest an itinerary including scenic sailings and view points in Flåm and Geiranger and a visit to Bergen.

Here you have a taste of the fjords

Hi Hallasm

We are considering this itinerary for 2021, and wanted your opinion. 

Anthem (9 night ultimate Norwegian Fjord):  Southampton, Bergen, Geiranger (overnight), Stavanger, Oslo, Kristiansand, Southampton.   

I noticed that you recommend Flåm, but this one does not go there - but it does include Oslo, which most ships do not visit.  Is it worth skipping Flåm for Oslo?  

10 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Anthem (9 night ultimate Norwegian Fjord):  Southampton, Bergen, Geiranger (overnight), Stavanger, Oslo, Kristiansand, Southampton.   

A bit odd with overnight in Geiranger (1pm second day) and relative short time in Bergen (11am to 5pm) and Oslo (10am to 7pm) while longer time in Kristiansand (07am to 06pm).

However Anthem is my favourite ship.

21 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

I noticed that you recommend Flåm, but this one does not go there - but it does include Oslo, which most ships do not visit.  Is it worth skipping Flåm for Oslo?

Flåm is at the west coast and has very scenic fjord sailing, nice view points and the railway - cannot be compared with a city like Oslo - a lot to see and do in Oslo, nice city, but Oslo Fjord is not that scenic

Geiranger and possible Stavanger (Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock, excursion) have scenic fjords - Bergen and Oslo are good DYI opportunities.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

A bit odd with overnight in Geiranger (1pm second day) and relative short time in Bergen (11am to 5pm) and Oslo (10am to 7pm) while longer time in Kristiansand (07am to 06pm).

However Anthem is my favourite ship.

Flåm is at the west coast and has very scenic fjord sailing, nice view points and the railway - cannot be compared with a city like Oslo - a lot to see and do in Oslo, nice city, but Oslo Fjord is not that scenic

Geiranger and possible Stavanger (Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock, excursion) have scenic fjords - Bergen and Oslo are good DYI opportunities.

Thanks.  We booked this cruise today with Next Cruise.  Have never sailed on Quantum class, and love the idea of spending a few days pre and post cruise in London.  Sounds like this gives us a good combination of scenic and city for Norway.  

Since I've also been to all 3 --

1. Fjords (Geiranger was amazing, Stavanger was raining buckets, couldn't see the fjord....)

2. Iceland

and not even close -

3. Alaska (the only "wow" for me was Emerald Lake out of Skagway).

regarding a Baltic cruise -- IMHO, I think that St. Petersburg deserve more than an overnighter.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

We went to Alaska and I decided on a cruise to Norway because I am hoping to see more beautiful scenery.  I won’t be able to answer your question properly until July when I am back!  

However what do you think of the above video??  

An alternative as has been suggested is a Baltic Cruise.  We went a few years ago and absolutely loved it.  We went from Harwich but I think Copenhagen is a better departure port.  St Petersburg is the highlight and an overnighter.  There are companies that give you highlights over the 2 days which is a really good way to see the palaces.  

In the Baltic cruises there is history and scenery and fresh air - and Tallinn, such a lovely port to explore.  

Thank you .. Yes -- I am looking at other cruises .. We are limited as we need to be in Rome July 6-8 for a wedding so are trying to time something very close before or after that ... Also -- $$;  I think flying into Copenhagen or pretty much anywhere other than London or Amsterdam is going to be too pricey for us since we will also need to get to/from Rome.

• Like 1

The fjords in the above video actually remind me of a couple of days in an Alaskan cruise. Misty fjords in the Tongass national forest, which is an excursion in Ketchikan. And it also reminds me of Endicott arm or Tracey Fjord. So if you enjoyed those in Alaska it appears you would enjoy a Norwegian cruise. It is definitely on our bucket list. One thing I didnt see in the video is the Ice and wildlife you get in Alaska. But Norway certainly looks beautiful.

41 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The fjords in the above video actually remind me of a couple of days in an Alaskan cruise. Misty fjords in the Tongass national forest, which is an excursion in Ketchikan. And it also reminds me of Endicott arm or Tracey Fjord. So if you enjoyed those in Alaska it appears you would enjoy a Norwegian cruise. It is definitely on our bucket list. One thing I didnt see in the video is the Ice and wildlife you get in Alaska. But Norway certainly looks beautiful.

yes -- we did that excursion over misty fjords -- and I'm wondering about wildlife in the norwegian fjords -- are there a lot of birds?  A main interest of my husband's ... I know whales are further north than our ship is likely to go, unfortunately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rachelfran said:

Thank you .. Yes -- I am looking at other cruises .. We are limited as we need to be in Rome July 6-8 for a wedding so are trying to time something very close before or after that ... Also -- $$;  I think flying into Copenhagen or pretty much anywhere other than London or Amsterdam is going to be too pricey for us since we will also need to get to/from Rome.

I know that the Med is hot in the summer,  since DH retired as a schoolteacher I have preferred to go in April or Sept/OCtober, however since you are already there, have you completely discounted going from Rome??  It is hard not to find visiting Rome/Naples/Livorno and the south of France a wonderful way to celebrate a 30th Wedding Anniversary.  I spent my 30th in Cannes while cruising on the NCL Epic, I got married in November though!!  

Having also been to all three, definitely worth a visit. I liked Norway the most, but would not argue at all if other claims Alaska or Iceland is better. Norway is very green compared to Iceland and Alaska. I did the two week cruise up to North Cape. Highlight of my Norway cruise was Lofoten and Gieranger (better to cruise in, but I visited by driving from Andelsnes). But all the ports were amazing.

Here is youtube highlights from my cruise

Also, got some amazing pictures from all three places under "Travel Pictures" in my signiture.

Edited by OceanPrince
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, rachelfran said:

I'm wondering about wildlife in the norwegian fjords -- are there a lot of birds?  A main interest of my husband's ... I know whales are further north than our ship is likely to go, unfortunately.

The fjords don’t really have a lot of wildlife. Some birds, but I don’t know that birdwatching is much of a draw. Honestly, I’ve seen more sheep than anything else, since several of the small farms in the west have free-roaming livestock.