Allure Repricing! May 10,2020 and Insurance

luisc25

I called RC to make a payment just reprice my cruise from $3,600 down to $2,350. I usually don’t start checking prices until the last 5 months but now I know it’s a good habit to keep checking often. I’m excited this will be my first RC Cruise.

Christmas came early for me!

another question what insurance you guys recommend? I have the geoblue for medical, any travel protection?

Edited by luisc25

Congrats! Heck of a Christmas Fund/refund! Check my rates daily, with watching better Cabins. Saved myself thousands over last 6yrs. One Cruise had 8 reductions in 18months. For those this applies, can still be hard to find but Royal has offered more Military Discounts lately.  ...and my kids just got off Allure last Spring, their 2nd, on her, had great time and planning another. Every time they go without me, "Grandpa" gets couple weeks with the Wee One...

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 hours ago, luisc25 said:

what insurance you guys recommend? I have the geoblue for medical, any travel protection?

Insurance is up to you.  We always insure as I am 68.  Also I do not have geoblue, so a policy with medical is important.  For us, we usually just use Royal Caribbean's Travel Protection in the Caribbean.  When we go to Europe or Asia we find a third party as it will also cover hotels, airlines, etc.  Plus other policies have better medical and medical evacuation, but doesn't sound like that's important to you.   What I suggest is that you go on insuremytrip dot com or a similar website and compare your options.  Find the policy that covers the most likely reason you might cancel, i.e. work issues, etc.  One point, Royal Caribbean doesn't charge their premium until final payment.  Also you have a "75% cancel for any reason" clause with Royal Caribbean.  With third party that clause is usually only active if you purchase within 7-14 days of first deposit.  Same with pre-exisiting condition clauses.  

Again, insurance is up to you. Are you in a position to lose the cost of the cruise if you suddenly can't go? 

8 hours ago, luisc25 said:

another question what insurance you guys recommend? I have the geoblue for medical, any travel protection?

These websites can help you choose:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Thank you so much for all the reply.

We are 30 but always buy insurance for almost everything. (Term Life, Medical Insurance, Rental Insurance, ETC) except for travel, honestly never though about what could go wrong, but now thinking even a broken bone or a small accident can cost thousands. 

3 hours ago, luisc25 said:

We are 30 but always buy insurance for almost everything. (Term Life, Medical Insurance, Rental Insurance, ETC) except for travel, honestly never though about what could go wrong, but now thinking even a broken bone or a small accident can cost thousands. 

Some premium credit cards have travel insurance as a benefit. If you travel often an annual medical policy at your age for the two of you is under $300. If you can't afford to lose anything then the insurance links above are your best bet.

You have Geoblue for medical and evac. What else do you need to cover?

Are you in a financial situation that losing $2500 that you paid for the cruise will cause a hardship?

If so, then I’d go with the cruise line insurance. Every 3rd party policy is going to include medical. You already have that. The downside to cruise line policies is low medical. You’ve got that covered. Plus the cruise line policy includes CFAR.

Edited by klfrodo

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You have Geoblue for medical and evac. What else do you need to cover?

Are you in a financial situation that losing $2500 that you paid for the cruise will cause a hardship?

Just for the cancellation, fancial situation it’s good but I think is better to pay $160 than loosing $5,000 Including our flights to Spain. 

3 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

Just for the cancellation, fancial situation it’s good but I think is better to pay $160 than loosing $5,000 Including our flights to Spain. 

$160 for both of you for everything is a good price, those of us that are older pay a higher rate, at.032% the risk reward makes the cost of insurance worth it. I paid about 7% last  year but that policy had a cancel for work reasons as there was a strong possibility that I would need to be in the office and it didn't include flights or excursions, I just waited to make my flights until I knew I was going. This year I am using my annual medical and my credit card insurance. The $130 net annual fee  on a premium card covers a lot of insurance (10k per trip, 20k per family)

Chase Sapphire fee $450

Less $300 credit a year for using the card

Less $20 a year towards Global entry

= $130 a year for travel insurance I can live with along with a large repatriation policy.

Right now they have a 60k bonus is you spend so much in the first few months so that's $600 in travel credit

I think the Amex card is similar in cost an benefits.

33 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

$5K is still a small amount to risk. Medical is what would be disastrous.

Edited by klfrodo

• Clarea changed the title to Allure Repricing! May 10,2020 and Insurance
4 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

$160 for both of you for everything is a good price, those of us that are older pay a higher rate, at.032% the risk reward makes the cost of insurance worth it. I paid about 7% last  year but that policy had a cancel for work reasons as there was a strong possibility that I would need to be in the office and it didn't include flights or excursions, I just waited to make my flights until I knew I was going. This year I am using my annual medical and my credit card insurance. The $130 net annual fee  on a premium card covers a lot of insurance (10k per trip, 20k per family)

Chase Sapphire fee $450

Less $300 credit a year for using the card

Less $20 a year towards Global entry

= $130 a year for travel insurance I can live with along with a large repatriation policy.

Right now they have a 60k bonus is you spend so much in the first few months so that's $600 in travel credit

I think the Amex card is similar in cost an benefits.

Thank you very much; just saved me money, I though the chases sapphire reserve only had trip delay, just checked and it has trip cancellation. I payed portion of the trip with that card. 

Edited by luisc25

On 12/21/2019 at 6:47 AM, luisc25 said:

17 hours ago, luisc25 said:

Thank you very much; just saved me money, I though the chases sapphire reserve only had trip delay, just checked and it has trip cancellation. I payed portion of the trip with that card. 

Just as an example of medical cost.  We were onboard the Freedom of the Seas and on the last night of our cruise, my nose started bleeding and it wouldn't stop...tried for 4 hours and missed dinner.  Note: I'm on Coumadin.

We finally had to make a visit to the medical unit onboard...Dr. Anna and Nurse Mary were able to stop the bleeding....cost: $297..........expensive, because it was also "off hours" when we arrived at around 11pm.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, bonsai3s said:

Just as an example of medical cost.  We were onboard the Freedom of the Seas and on the last night of our cruise, my nose started bleeding and it wouldn't stop...tried for 4 hours and missed dinner.  Note: I'm on Coumadin.

We finally had to make a visit to the medical unit onboard...Dr. Anna and Nurse Mary were able to stop the bleeding....cost: $297..........expensive, because it was also "off hours" when we arrived at around 11pm.

Wow did they gave you any medication like Tranexamix or just applied pressure?

$297 it's not that bad similar to an Urgent Care visit on land; but yes i see the benefits.

Edited by luisc25

12 hours ago, luisc25 said:

Wow did they gave you any medication like Tranexamix or just applied pressure?

$297 it's not that bad similar to an Urgent Care visit on land; but yes i see the benefits.

No, they did not give me Tranexamic.  After attempting to stop the bleeding for another 20 minutes, Dr. Anna decided to use some type of silver nitrate and nasal packing.

Smiling...I looked like I just had a badly done nose job...with literally tons of gauze inside my left nostril and multiple medical tape/bandages over/around my nose.  Dr. Anna suggested to keep this for 24 hours...which meant having to fly home with bandages on my face.  Note: TSA supervisor had to be called to confirm it was me on my passport 😊  Oh, they also gave me extra gauze, tape, and a nasal decongestant.

Agree, the cost was not bad compared to Urgent Care on land. And extremely happy to be able to make it home without any further bleeding.