Wine packages

NGBG

It's been several years since our last HAL cruise.

Am I correct in recalling that there are wine packages (4/6/8 bottles) available to purchase after coming in board?

If so, are they a better deal than buying by the bottle at dinner?

We'll be bringing on our 2 bottles, but aren't able to haul additional ones.

Yes there are still wine packages of 4, 6, and 8.  Someone should be able to direct you to where they are listed on the HAL site.  (Not me, I have given up trying to find anything on the HAL site.) 

Whether they are a "better deal" than buying by the bottle -- if there are wines you like in the packages, I'd say they probably are a decent deal.  If you don't like the wines offered in the packages, then no, they aren't a deal.  Life's too short to drink bad wine 😉

We only buy wine packages, not individual bottles of wine, so I'm unfamiliar with what is offered by the bottle, and the pricing.  One of my favorite wines is in Package #2, so I have no reason to compare now.

• Like 1

If you're a 3 or 4 star mariner, the wine packages probably are a much better deal.  As a 4-star I can buy the 4 bottle tier one package for under $78.  A single bottle of wine on HAL starts around $47 and goes up from there.  Fortunately, I like a couple of the choices in tier 1, so for less than $20/bottle it makes great sense to get the package.  Also, in the specialty restaurants, many of the "by the glass" wines are running in the mid teens now....so a bottle from the package can be cheaper than a couple glasses from the menu.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks VennD.

I looked on the HAL site as you mentioned and there is an 8 bottle package one can purchase in advance and then choose the bottles only after you get on board.

So I think getting the 4 bottle package once we board should work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

If you're a 3 or 4 star mariner, the wine packages probably are a much better deal.  As a 4-star I can buy the 4 bottle tier one package for under $78.  A single bottle of wine on HAL starts around $47 and goes up from there.  Fortunately, I like a couple of the choices in tier 1, so for less than $20/bottle it makes great sense to get the package.  Also, in the specialty restaurants, many of the "by the glass" wines are running in the mid teens now....so a bottle from the package can be cheaper than a couple glasses from the menu.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks, Sue. Will go with a package.

(we're just short of 3 star which is driving me nuts! 😉)

14 minutes ago, NGBG said:

Thanks, Sue. Will go with a package.

(we're just short of 3 star which is driving me nuts! 😉)

Hang in there - you'll make it.  Then you'll be going nuts waiting on 4 star status 😉 

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

We were on a B2B and it worked out seamlessly to carry the wine forward.  If you have a concern, talk to your wine steward. You should not have any problems.

I'm thinking we might be smart to book the wine package after we board, just in case.

9 hours ago, the2ofus said:

We will be on back to back one week cruises on Nieuw Statendam in January.  Does anyone know if we can buy the 8 bottle package the first week and carry over to the second week or do we need to buy separately for each week?

It is carried over.  No problem at all on my B2B 😄 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is there any savings to buying a wine package prior to boarding vs. waiting until onboard?  (I'm not yet entitled to any Mariner discount....)

The prices should be the same.  The big problem is the lousy HAL web site.  I just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Westerdam.  Before I went I bought a 4-bottle of their #2 series.  Enough for me as DW doesn't drink wine.  We are leaving for the same ship in a month for a B2B2B.  I tried tonight to order a package for the first leg.  The only choice I was given on their website (under Indulgences) was a 6-bottle, #3 package @ $309.35.  I went to my other two bookings and for them I could only order either a 6 or 8 bottle package of #3.  Couldn't order the #1 or #2 series or a 4-bottle package.  I understand what VennDiagram is talking about.  

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is there any savings to buying a wine package prior to boarding vs. waiting until onboard?  (I'm not yet entitled to any Mariner discount....)

There is no savings.  Prices are the same.  Prices on the website are with the service charge.  Prices you see on board are without and the service charge is added.  Works out to the same amount of $

9 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Couldn't order the #1 or #2 series or a 4-bottle package.  I understand what VennDiagram is talking about.  

We ordered the #2 Series on Amsterdam for the 2 week Alaska cruise in July AFTER we boarded and was told one of the bottles in the package was not available. I wonder if we had ordered it before boarding the wines would have been available? 

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

. I wonder if we had ordered it before boarding the wines would have been available? 

No difference if you order ahead of time or on board.  If the wine is not in stock, it’s not there.  Ordering on line secures the purchase of the package but doesn’t guarantee all the wines are in stock.

It’s one of the reasons I only book the wine package on board, now 😉. At least that way, I can check to see which wines are in stock 😉 even though they might run out of one or two before the end of the cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

.. you can always go to the wine tasting in the MDR to help you select your packages... it is quite fun and really helps to explore the wines prior to your package purchase(s). This picture was from last month on the Eurodam. Good Luck, and Cheers! 

image.png

Edited by tuolumne couple

First, I have tell you that I am not a wine connoisseur, and I cannot tell the difference between expensive and cheap wine.

So, I was shopping on the website, simply trying to get the lowest price per bottle as possible for my next cruise.

If I ordered the 4 bottle package of #1 selection, it costs $136.85 and that works out to be $34.21 per bottle.

When I look over the individual bottles listed on the website, the cheapest bottle of wine available is $43.75.

So I was considering this wine package, just to save money.

Several people have mentioned that the price for individual bottles is the same as in the packages. Is this true only for the more pricey wines?  Or will there be other inexpensive wines available on the ship that are not listed on the website?

I have sailed HAL several times, but in the past, I only drank bourbon. So I am not that familiar with the wine deals. One major advantage of wine, is that they let you bring a couple of bottles on board. Can't do that with bourbon.

Edited by Tom O.
grammer
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

.. you can always go to the wine tasting in the MDR to help you select your packages... it is quite fun and really helps to explore the wines prior to your package purchase(s). This picture was from last month on the Eurodam. Good Luck, and Cheers! 

image.png

Are these wine tastings on day one of the cruise?

I assume there's a charge. Do you recall how much?

12 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

First, I have tell you that I am not a wine connoisseur, and I cannot tell the difference between expensive and cheap wine.

So, I was shopping on the website, simply trying to get the lowest price per bottle as possible for my next cruise.

If I ordered the 4 bottle package of #1 selection, it costs $136.85 and that works out to be $34.21 per bottle.

When I look over the individual bottles listed on the website, the cheapest bottle of wine available is $43.75.

So I was considering this wine package, just to save money.

Several people have mentioned that the price for individual bottles is the same as in the packages. Is this true only for the more pricey wines?  Or will there be other inexpensive wines available on the ship that are not listed on the website?

I have sailed HAL several times, but in the past, I only drank bourbon. So I am not that familiar with the wine deals. One major advantage of wine, is that they let you bring a couple of bottles on board. Can't do that with bourbon.

I think you will find some less pricely wines on the main list onboard.  Plus, the house Chardonay is not bad IMO.  I would wait until I boarded and then check out the wine lists before deciding.'

I think the first wine tasting is on the first sea day and is either $14.99 or $19.99.

Edited by DaveOKC

33 minutes ago, NGBG said:

Are these wine tastings on day one of the cruise?

I assume there's a charge. Do you recall how much?

Yes, they have two or three tastings, depending upon the length of the cruise. They are always on a sea day. There is a charge, unless you are 4 star, in which you get one free tasting. You will get an invitation if that is in your mariner benefit, but you can request an earlier tasting if you wish, or you can go to the MDR as a walk-in and attend. You can ask at the front desk for sure.  I recall the price, it is $19.95, but you get a cheese and fruit plate and get to taste 4 glasses off the various cellar packages. Also there is a talk outlining each wine. It is interesting if you love wine as we do. It is helpful in making a package selection, we think. Good Luck! 

Edited by tuolumne couple

3 hours ago, kazu said:

There is no savings.  Prices are the same.  Prices on the website are with the service charge.  Prices you see on board are without and the service charge is added.  Works out to the same amount of $

Thanks Jacqui -- and you just select each wine as you go along, rather than all at once?

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks Jacqui -- and you just select each wine as you go along, rather than all at once?

Absolutely 🙂 - Yes, you can select one at a time or, if you want a red one night and a white the next - no problem either.  The wine steward holds any unfinished bottles for you to have another time 🙂

1 hour ago, kazu said:

No difference if you order ahead of time or on board.  If the wine is not in stock, it’s not there.  Ordering on line secures the purchase of the package but doesn’t guarantee all the wines are in stock.

It’s one of the reasons I only book the wine package on board, now 😉. At least that way, I can check to see which wines are in stock 😉 even though they might run out of one or two before the end of the cruise.  

If they run out, they run out.  However, a couple of times when that happened the wine steward substituted a similar, but more expensive wine.  For example, last time I ordered from the middle cost, #2, as #1 didn't have a Malbec.  When they ran out, he substituted the Malbec from #3.

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

If they run out, they run out.  However, a couple of times when that happened the wine steward substituted a similar, but more expensive wine.  For example, last time I ordered from the middle cost, #2, as #1 didn't have a Malbec.  When they ran out, he substituted the Malbec from #3.

So you’re the reason we ran out of Malbec on our cruise 😉 🤣 

Seriously, yes, we’ve found the same thing.  We use #3 a fair bit for the reds for DH so the wine steward  suggested a more expensive wine that wasn’t in the package (at no additional charge)..  We were quite happy with the substitutions 😉 

• Haha 1